Recommendation For Part-Time Thai Language School In Bangkok

phuturatica

I know that there is already a pinned thread on this, however it does seem a little out of date.

My Thai is pretty basic. I speak more than the average tourist, however I want to learn to speak Thai more. Maybe even learn to read and write it when it comes down to it.

I currently work here in Thailand so I would be looking at a part-time course (say a few hours every week over a course of a few months etc.)

Does anyone have any up to date recommendations or advice on where to avoid?

Edited by phuturatica

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Hope you are having good luck finding a good place to learn Thai. I hope you will find it good fun, and its very interesting and challenging language to learn.

I Studied in Bangkok for 1 year, prior to moving to Chiang Mai. I am not sure if I am allowed to criticise other schools on here, but I did find a couple that were really bad. There are a few schools that are basically businesses to make money from people getting ED visas. I made the mistake of joining one of these, and found out that they had lots of students on the books, but hardly any of them attended the classes. The teachers were not too good either, and the teaching material was not to my taste. I left!

I have used several schools, and have found the best for me to be Pro Language. I have stuck with this school for over 3 years now and can highly recommend it

The teaching methods, courses, and teachers themselves are very important. Some schools I found very old fashioned and boring, using out of date materials. I suggest you try a few and then decide. Most will give you a free trial lesson.

I know the school I attend does part time classes. You can be in a group or private. They are quite a large school, so you will have a good choice of classes to choose from for you level of speaking Thai, and also choose the times to best suit you.

Good luck

Yep, I can agree with above poster.

Pro Language can be recommended. Are you wanting ED visa also? I know they offer this as I have one from them.

I think you are best to try out a few schools first before parting with your money. Other good schools I hear about are Walen and someone told me about a course at the University. Have you looked up potential schools on the internet?

Hi if interested in one on one teaching I have a friend who could accommodate you

He is English and his Thai is at a elite level

Send me a pm if you want ,he might also be able to help you in a post you recently had here on weight loss

Give Walen a try and come for a demo lesson like Jak is recommending. Fastest method and fantastic teachers (some say the best and most attractive Thai teachers in the world). Parvis good to see you, words of wisdom as always.

It is called preemptive strike.thumbsup.gif Someone would mention Walen whenever there is a talk about a Thai school so some guys are already, for personal reasons, trying to discourage students form joining Walen.

Walen School - try our method, it is free.

I've done about 400 hrs at aua. I love it and id recommend it to anyone who has some serious time to commit to learning thai. I tried 100 odd hrs at another posters school on this thread but found this method not for me.

Aua is so relaxed. Buy your hours. They don't expire. Turn up when you want. No homework. Just sit in class and listen to the teachers stories and games. Some times they even bring in thai food for you to try and talk about it.. every conversation is in thai. Obviously they won't be talking high speec thai with you at level 1.

This course is a serious commitment in time, but before long you will be picking up thai sounds and knowing what they mean.. not the sound of 15 foreigners mis pronouncing thai ..

1 hr free trial..

eeeya, will they test you so that they know how proficient you are before putting you in the appropriate class?

MacWalen, does your school also conduct a test on how proficient the student's thai is before putting them in the correct class?

There is an informal test. Basically they ask you if you learned thai before.

Yes..level 2.

No... level 1.

I think if you know a bit of counting. Colours. Basic stuff then you might get put into level 2.

Even if you go to 1 and its too easy then go to level 2. And vice versa.

Its easy to get into it and do 4-5 hours a day. Each level is 200 hrs. No testing. Just tell them you want to move up.

They also log your hours and progress online.

Look at there website.. aua thai.com

And youtube has heaps of their videos too.

I also like the fact that its on a thai school for learning english. Feels more local than in a highrise office block.

You can also learn japanese with the same method.

Its about.130baht per hour and you buy blocks at a time.

Edited by eeeya