Major New Indian/Chinese (Vegetarian) Restaurant Find!

Jingthing

WOW!

The Pattaya restaurant scene is rocking these days.

Open for three months and just now explored by me we now have

SARAS

100 percent Vegetarian restaurant

Mostly Indian including Indian stylings on Chinese and even Pizza

Massive, varied, exciting menu

An Indian sweets case that will blow you away, if you like Indian sweets

Friendly, informative, English speaking staff

Customers appearing to be sophisticated Indian types

CHEAP PRICES! 7 percent tax is added.

I was not hungry when I visited so I only had some sweets. They were incredible. Looking at the menu pictures and food on other tables, I am fully confident this is an excellent restaurant.

This place is a Bangkok export, now in Pattaya.

You can preview their menu here:

http://saras.co.th/

Here is a review:

http://voices.yahoo....n-10538761.html

There are so many varied menu items it will be hard to know where to start. It could take a really long time to sample their menu. The MOMOS do intrigue as I do believe they are Tibetan in origin and where else in town can you get Tibetan Momos? (OK, no meat.)

I am flabbergasted. crying.gif There goes the diet.

Location. Across the street from Indian Touch. BTW, Saras has veg Indian food from different Indian regions. At Indian Touch they never actually have vada or idly even though it is on the menu. So for South Indian, the best choice is probably now going to be Saras. Indian Touch does of course have meat items.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a very large place connected to a hotel. Very clean, amply staffed, and quite obviously a professional operation with a big investment. Beer? I don't know. I wouldn't overestimate the power of my endorsement. It's still very easy to get a table at PAOS and I don't understand that for the life of me.

Some of us could use a little more information as to location than "across the street from Indian Touch." I mean, that description sorta make the presumptuous assumption that the reader has ever heard of, let alone knows the location of, Indian Touch! I assume they are located somewhere in the 3 dimensions we associate with normal space so would it be too much to ask for the street coordinates of this great new find?

Some of us could use a little more information as to location than "across the street from Indian Touch." I mean, that description sorta make the presumptuous assumption that the reader has ever heard of, let alone knows the location of, Indian Touch! I assume they are located somewhere in the 3 dimensions we associate with normal space so would it be too much to ask for the street coordinates of this great new find?

Their website is included in my post, dude:

Saras Pattaya

Saras Pattaya | Sun City Hotel, 557 M. 10 Pratamnak Rd., 2nd Rd., Pattaya Tai, Chonburi

(Next to Siam Bayshore Hotel)

Tel : +66-(0)38-424-769

That area really is Little India. There are a lot of Indian places around there now.

I was walking by there the other evening and some Indian lady thrust this into my hand saying "very good very cheap".

They certainly win the "most inventive use of an apostrophe" award.

post-122766-0-46893700-1335870807_thumb.

Edited by Darrel

That area really is Little India. There are a lot of Indian places around there now.

I was walking by there the other evening and some Indian lady thrust this into my hand saying "very good very cheap".

Punjabi Tadka? Old news here!

Thank you, how much for Mixed raita ?

At a cheap place it costs 60 Thb.

The menu is on the web address. Raita does not appear. You will see there is no other Indian place in town with such a varied Indian/Chinese veg menu. Not even close. So many Indian places in town have almost the EXACT same menu. Not this place. There is a somosa for 15 baht though. That's real cheap. Mysore masala dosa including sambars for 105. The prices are cheap for Pattaya.

Punjabi Tadka? Old news here!

But it's the use of the apostrophe that makes it unusu'l. whistling.gif

Do they deliver their Indian / Chinese pizzas?

It seems that they do!

Pattaya

Tel: +66-(0)38-424-769

http://saras.co.th/deliveries/

Anyway, I made rather a serious error in my original description of the location!

I said it was across the street from Indian Touch which is a problematical way to describe it as directly across from Indian Touch is ANOTHER hotel with another hotel restaurant which is certainly not the same place as SARAS.

To get to Saras from there go further towards Pattaya Tai.

Another reference point is Kohinoor Restaurant (that old place that used to do the buffet meals). From there its the same side of the road but go a bit away from Pattaya Tai.

Yet another way is to find the Vault Hotel. It's roughly across the road from there.

http://thevaultpatta...m/location.html

Here is an Indian food question.

http://saras.co.th/

Refer to the sixth picture from the left on the food slide show picturing a western looking dinner roll like bread with a spicy dip. I've had that at buffets before but forget what that dish is called. Can someone inform?

Edited by Jingthing

^why not just say it's in the Sun City Hotel?

Post 5. What am I? Map guy?

So no need for further confusing convoluted directions in post 15.

This is getting annoying. I posted bad info in the OP. I corrected it. Leave it alone.

beatdeadhorse.gif

^why not just say it's in the Sun City Hotel?

Post 5. What am I? Map guy?

So no need for further confusing convoluted directions in post 15.

This is getting annoying. I posted bad info in the OP. I corrected it. Leave it alone.

beatdeadhorse.gif

pao bhaji is the name of the dish you're looking for.

I walked past this place last night just before 8pm which I suppose is near peak eating time. Completely empty. So were all the other Indian places in the area, including that huge place on the opposite corner going up the hill.

When will these Indian places realise that their prices are much too high?

When I stopped in during the day plenty of people were eating. Maybe vegetarians eat early. ermm.gif

Anyway, it seems the prices at Saras Bangkok and Saras Pattaya are the same and while nobody is saying there is cheap great Indian food in town like in Kuala Lumpur, their prices are attractive for Pattaya when compared to places like Spices, and so many others. Come on now, Idly sambar for 75 baht in a clean modern setting? What would you demand?

I suppose that their prices are indeed more reasonable than paying the same amount in one of the non-aircon places across the road.

But it's still "best of a bad lot". I can eat Indian better and much cheaper in Singapore, and that just doesn't make sense.

Will keep my eyes open during the daytime to see if there are more people in there.

12 Posts and no one has tried this massive varied Menu apart from some sweets????

Well Indians food is pretty boring and very heavy...just the same curry served two-dozen different ways.

Saras has a wide variety of offerings including vegetarian Chinese and Thai food. Mostly not heavy based on my reading of the menu. Yes some Indian dishes are heavy especially the ghee based dishes. Anyone who says real Indian food is the "same curry" is frankly ignorant. Why make such silly statements? Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Empty again at 7pm.

I saw one waiter looking gloomily out of the glass door as I passed by.

Are you casing them to see how full their cash register is or would you like to eat some bloody Indian food? No customers? Maybe it's a mafia front for the dog meat trade? w00t.gif

I was just passing in a bahtbus on my way somewhere else where I had an existing appointment. The other Indian places looked equally quiet.

One day I will try and have a closer look at this place. Trouble is there are already about 50 places on my "to-do" list, plus about 10 places where I could happily eat every day and never get bored. It doesnt leave much scope for adventure.