Major New Indian/Chinese (Vegetarian) Restaurant Find!

Jingthing

.... reports of them being empty are simply not true.

My reports of it being empty on the two occasions when I passed by and could be bothered to look were 100% true on the day. I have no reason to make such things up. Obviously I have no idea what the occupancy has been like at all other times.

OK, you win. rolleyes.gif

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried Saras a few times now and after quite liking it at first (decent samosa and masala dosa) I have lost interest after a miserable north Indian thali there the other day. One dish was plain disgusting, goodness knows what it was. Their paneer cheese is virtually tasteless. They put an ingredient in their curries which I don't like at all; they're too sweet and just don't taste right. The yoghurt with the thalis is way too sweet also for a main course. I left half of my meal. The veggie thalis at Indian by Nature and Maharani at the Royal Cliff are far superior IMO and worth paying the extra for. The only reason I might go back to Saras is to buy a selection of Indian sweets to take away; it's the only place in Pattaya that sells them as far as I know.

Edited by PeterUK

I have a different view on this restaurant which I consider a great place to eat though there are some things on the menu which are not so good. I had the North Indian thali there and enjoyed it. I did not find it sweet at all and I wouldn't have liked it if it was sweet. I liked the Rajastani thali better, more unusual and I would recommend that, and be sure to ask the waiter for choice of bread, the fancy roti rather than the nan is the better choice in my opinion. The Gujrati thali is SUPPOSED to be sweet. Once I ordered it and they warned me it was going to be sweet so I didn't order it. The south Indian thali is OK but a light meal.

The samosas are in my view below average. The nan a la carte is nothing special.

The South Indian choices are MASSIVE. Dosas are just the tip of the iceberg.

I suggest that people look at the menu and google some of the items for some ideas on what to order:

http://saras.co.th/menu/

I think the best meals there can be had ordering Indian food, a la carte, as opposed to thalis.

The Chinese menu is hit and miss. The Momos are nice. The paneer in chile sauce is very tasty.

I would suggest focusing on the Indian food. Maybe it would also help to let them know you like SPICY food IF that is the case.

I agree the Indian desserts there are fantastic and the best in town. The also offer a huge choice of what are basically Indian STREET snacks; I think most are not available anyplace else in town.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing