Einsteins Theory For Boarding Planes

Buff-horns

Einstein's theory of boarding aeroplanes

Researchers have used Einstein's theory or relativity to find the most efficient way for passengers to board an aeroplane.

And they have concluded that the time honoured method of boarding by seat numbers is a waste of time, reports the Sun.

Dr Eitan Bachmat, of Ben-Gurion University of the Negev in Israel, says airlines would be better off following the example of low-cost carriers who let passengers sit where they like.

Dr Bachmat said: "Back-to-front boarding is bad because it is designed for cardboard-thin passengers, or for the spacious surroundings of the first-class compartment.

"But there is no need to play with the rows. It doesn't matter which rows get on first."

Dr Bachmat stumbled accross the theory when researching how to make computers run quicker.

He said: "It dawned on us that we could use the same geometry that appears in relativity theory."

ananova.com

Researchers have used Einstein's theory or relativity to find the most efficient way for passengers to board an aeroplane.

And they have concluded that the time honoured method of boarding by seat numbers is a waste of time, reports the Sun.

Dr Eitan Bachmat, of Ben-Gurion University of the Negev in Israel, says airlines would be better off following the example of low-cost carriers who let passengers sit where they like.

Dr Bachmat said: "Back-to-front boarding is bad because it is designed for cardboard-thin passengers, or for the spacious surroundings of the first-class compartment.

"But there is no need to play with the rows. It doesn't matter which rows get on first."

Dr Bachmat stumbled accross the theory when researching how to make computers run quicker.

He said: "It dawned on us that we could use the same geometry that appears in relativity theory."

ananova.com

I kind of like boarding by seat numbers. When they do it right and board the last rows first you are not fighting so much to get down the rows. Picking anywhere you want to sit probably works better for commuter traffic than international flights.

I have long legs and like aisle seats and/or emergency door seating. With my gold cards I can get preferred seating and most often I get to board at the same time as the business class passengers. I like this privilege of boarding first and choosing my seats ahead of time on a cheap ticket.

Part of the reason that I choose certain airlines is to keep my gold cards current. If "no seat number" seating takes place on all airlines I won't be using my regular airlines so frequently.

My bitch is the passengers with the really big bags or too many extra bags hogging all of the overhead bins.

If only I had Gold-Card hold-luggage weight-allowance, I wouldn't need to carry 2-3 carry-ons returning to LOS, but my kids do seem to like their sweets/cereals/pressies (and me my Rose's Lime Cordial) so I don't expect to stop anytime soon :o

I remember seeing people checking-in washing-machines, without paying excess, on LGW-Banjul (The Gambia) in the good-old-days of travelling down to Africa, also sitting (in First) next to a lady with a basket of chickens on her lap. Happy Days ! :D

Of course (to keep it on-thread) I was relatively younger then.

Wonder what Einstein had to say - about relative time-delays, in getting an extra Chang, in Economy ?

:o 5555555555555555555

To darn funny....I guess this guy's never been to Africa and actually witnessed up close the " sit where ever you want "  theory in practice 5555555. He should take a trip to Nigeria and after paying off everyone in customs take a crack at boarding the plane with his theory of sitting where you like 5555555555 this dummy wouldn't even make it up the ramp!!!!!!

ananova.com

I don't get this at all. Of course back to front boarding is a good thing, that way the aisles don't get clogged up by people sitting in the front!

If only I had Gold-Card hold-luggage weight-allowance, I wouldn't need to carry 2-3 carry-ons returning to LOS, but my kids do seem to like their sweets/cereals/pressies (and me my Rose's Lime Cordial) so I don't expect to stop anytime soon  :o

I remember seeing people checking-in washing-machines, without paying excess, on LGW-Banjul (The Gambia) in the good-old-days of travelling down to Africa, also sitting (in First) next to a lady with a basket of chickens on her lap.  Happy Days !  :D

Of course (to keep it on-thread)  I was relatively  younger then.

Wonder what Einstein had to say  -  about relative time-delays, in getting an extra Chang, in Economy ?

Must have been your kids that ran on the plane and got MY aisle seat or emergency door seat!!

Two or three flights on the SAME airline usually gets someone at least a silver card, from the U.S. two flights from there is almost enough miles for a gold card. With a silver card they increase your check in weight allowance. Plus you get enough miles for an upgrade or free flights.

Penny wise, pound foolish, sometimes a flight that travellers may choose because it is a a few pounds or dollars cheaper comes back to bite you in the butt when you need the extra miles for some benefit.

Works for me - anyway!

I don't care if it saves a minute or two of boarding time. I'm not going to fly long haul on an airline where the only way to get a good seat is to push and shove your way to it. I'm 6'3 and always reserve an exit row seat or similar so that I don't cramp up during a flight. To have some 5ft1 midget wiggle past me and grab that seat would likely result in them spending their flight in an overhead bin.

Sometimes we have to choose being civilized over being efficient. Free for all boarding is not the way to do that.

cv

I don't care if it saves a minute or two of boarding time. I'm not going to fly long haul on an airline where the only way to get a good seat is to push and shove your way to it. I'm 6'3 and always reserve an exit row seat or similar so that I don't cramp up during a flight. To have some 5ft1 midget wiggle past me and grab that seat would likely result in them spending their flight in an overhead bin.

Sometimes we have to choose being civilized over being efficient. Free for all boarding is not the way to do that.

cv

cdnvic, You sure got that one right, I always book my seat well in advance, it's 11 hours from Copenhagen to Bangkok, and like you and most other frequent travellers we have our preferred seat, if I have that seat number on my boarding card, then I'll fight to get that seat, I normally fly Thai and the cabin crew are quite helpful.