Bangkok To Crack Down On Unauthorized Street Vendors

webfact

Any chance that this could include unauthorized motorcycles on the pavements?

No real chance that the vendor, or the banner and street sign, crackdown will last beyond the attention span of the police or the BMA. So no chance at all that 'unauthorised' motorcycles will be dealt with.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

take away vendors take away the atmosphere of bangkok. what a lot of boring old farts. keeps inflation down also - feeds the workers. of course hunger is not something incumbents care about with them making sure khao is expensive.

Note they did say 'unauthorised'. And is there an atmosphere to actually disappear as a result of the moving of most of these vendors? Go to the markets, such as Jatuchak, yes! But on the streets, anywhere and everywhere they get the cops blessing to set up shop? I don't think so!

It's my understanding, and I'm not being snarky, that is not illegal for a motorbike to drive on the sidewalk.

It's not? Even in Thailand, I doubt very much that it's in any way legal. The cycle paths are for cycles, and not the motorised version - though many of the motorcyclists no doubt think that they are there for their convenience.

Edited by JohnAllan

wait pavements are for pedestrians to walk?

This is a novel approach. Maybe it really is Miracle Year in Amazing Thailand...

I really would like all motorbikes to just follow road rules and stop thinking that because they are small normal road rules don't apply to them...

Because the people riding them are not capable of doing so ! sad.png

This is a novel approach. Maybe it really is Miracle Year in Amazing Thailand...

I really would like all motorbikes to just follow road rules and stop thinking that because they are small normal road rules don't apply to them...

Because the people riding them are not capable of doing so ! sad.png

And Konfuzed hasn't worked that out yet. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Two years ago they built a big open air covered market, about 100 stalls capacity. It had about ten takers for a while then now down to zero, I guess a roadside pitch is cheaper than a rented pitch in a market.

Thats a good news , I heard that news for the last 20 years ...and nothing has changed .. so why it would change now ? Thais dont care about laws as they think they are above any laws , you see that in their mentality everyday. sorry but that is only some stuff I observed on daily basis. Many people dont wear safety belt in cars besie the laws , talk on their phone beside the law etc ...etc ... So for street vendors , it look quite exotic for the tourists but when you try to walk on silom road or sukhumvit at 6pm ... you can hardly walk because of the street vendors.

That's just the way it is here. Do you expect the whole country to change just because you came to live here? By the way, laws are broken in every country. Take the UK for example - how many people actually stick to the speed limit? hundreds of thousands are fined every year. So what's so different here. Nothing. It's the same the world over. Except people in different countries tend to break different laws.

Street food is a reality because it is too expensive for the average Thai to go in to a restaurant, sit down, get service, and have lunch. There are also too few food courts where it is more reasonable than a 'restaurant." The government should open more food courts and this would be a good incentive for small business vendors. It would also clean up Bangkok and add some much needed health and sanitary regulations to the food serving business.

These guys help make thailand what it is. I say keep the atmosphere. They are just trying to earn a living, a small one at that.

Maybe they should take a look at the root of more serious problems, like the corruption in gov/police force biggrin.png What! don't be stupid.

All this does is give cops more amo to charge higher payouts from these lil vendors, poor buggers, the circle continues.

How about doing something more constructive like starting a campaign to make the roads a safer place, FORCE people to go for driving tests and a mandatory amount of driving lessons, throw in some education about the effects of alcohol when driving.

Seems like all these "crackdowns" revolve around new ways for the police to make extra cash. smile.png

Why is it that westerners move to another part of the world to get away from western society, only to demand that their new "home" change, adapt, organise, in a way that is just like the world they've left behind? I love Thailand, just the way it is, street vendors, motorcycles on the pavement, chaos and all.

Very well said. The boring farts on here are the people that can't make it in their home country so came here and now expect everyone to change just for them. Just like you I love the chaos of Bangkok. I love the street vendors, motorcycles, etc. It's what makes it such a vibrant city. If you boring fardts don't want street vendors then go and hang out in Siam Paragon.

Oh, wait a minute. If the street vendors leave you boring farts will be complaining that you can't get cheap food.

But now I see the real problem. The boring farts just want to complain about anything and everything. Maybe they need to get a life.

• Like 2

Yawn.

Groundhog day

arrest a noodle cart hawker and a DVD man - then stop for another 4 years

500B fine for cars that dont stop at a crossing - yawn

Taxis without licenses - yawn

The police in this country are like goldfish - swim round the bowl in 5 seonds and forgotten everything

• Like 2

These guys help make thailand what it is. I say keep the atmosphere. They are just trying to earn a living, a small one at that.

Maybe they should take a look at the root of more serious problems, like the corruption in gov/police force biggrin.png What! don't be stupid.

All this does is give cops more amo to charge higher payouts from these lil vendors, poor buggers, the circle continues.

How about doing something more constructive like starting a campaign to make the roads a safer place, FORCE people to go for driving tests and a mandatory amount of driving lessons, throw in some education about the effects of alcohol when driving.

Seems like all these "crackdowns" revolve around new ways for the police to make extra cash. smile.png

Why is it that westerners move to another part of the world to get away from western society, only to demand that their new "home" change, adapt, organise, in a way that is just like the world they've left behind? I love Thailand, just the way it is, street vendors, motorcycles on the pavement, chaos and all.

Very well said. The boring farts on here are the people that can't make it in their home country so came here and now expect everyone to change just for them. Just like you I love the chaos of Bangkok. I love the street vendors, motorcycles, etc. It's what makes it such a vibrant city. If you boring fardts don't want street vendors then go and hang out in Siam Paragon.

Oh, wait a minute. If the street vendors leave you boring farts will be complaining that you can't get cheap food.

But now I see the real problem. The boring farts just want to complain about anything and everything. Maybe they need to get a life.

This seems to be your stereotypical boring response to every post.

Half the reason I moved here was because of the chaos and freedom, It was a dream come true for me, a super lax land where pretty much anything goes.

Without the street stalls then whats next? No booze in 7, total ban on piracy, bars shutting at midnight blah blah, It would totally lose is character and spunk. I love the craziness on the streets but if there was 1 thing, I still stand by trying to make drivers have a bit more experience especially on the open roads (I live in isaan) I've heard and seen too many die needlessly.

I don't understand people agreeing with crackdown. Try and imagine what it would be like without the commotion and random funny shit that you see from those guys sellin their shizzle. And the food from some of those places beats half the restaurants I have back home.

We all knew what was on offer here b4 we moved here and I'd say most people would agree that half the appeal was the raw character and charm this places serves up. Street vendors are a big part of that.

If you don't like the crowds and noise theres plenty of quiet rice farms up for grabs :D

• Like 1

"city cleanliness act."

Any chance the same act is going to deal with the horrendous rat and roach infestation on Rama I near National Stadium? Or is there concern about the rats' ability to pay bribes to eliminate competition?

Professional courtesy , they would never turn on their own kind.

• Like 1

Masochists feel that way about pain: they love it!!!!

• Like 1

The street vendors show the true work ethic of the Thai when effort is directly rewarded with profit. This is unlike store employees where effort has little if no bearing on income and predictably you see languid workers milling about. It is the only way for an uneducated Thai to make an honest and decent living. It should not be touched in my opinion.

Thats a good news , I heard that news for the last 20 years ...and nothing has changed .. so why it would change now ? Thais dont care about laws as they think they are above any laws , you see that in their mentality everyday. sorry but that is only some stuff I observed on daily basis. Many people dont wear safety belt in cars besie the laws , talk on their phone beside the law etc ...etc ... So for street vendors , it look quite exotic for the tourists but when you try to walk on silom road or sukhumvit at 6pm ... you can hardly walk because of the street vendors.

The street vendors are where the customers are. If no one was buying from them then they would move to another location.

EDIT: spelling

Edited by Javabear

"The ordinance will be enforced vigorously."

Which is to say, the police now have OFFICIAL support for strongarming the vendors into giving up tea money. I'm sure a few of the BiB are out right now checking out auto shops to see where they can get their rides detailed with the extra money they'll be earning.

Please show me the law that prohibits motorcycles from riding on the sidewalk, as I'm pretty sure it is 100% legal.

Please show me the law that prohibits motorcycles from riding on the sidewalk, as I'm pretty sure it is 100% legal.

yes and while your on please show ME the law thats says I cant ride my motorcycle and juggle empty bottles of Heinikin at the same time....

yes and while your on please show ME the law thats says I cant ride my motorcycle and juggle empty bottles of Heinikin at the same time....

Section 43 (400-1000b)

No driver shall drive the vehicle:

e. In a manner not normally practiced in driving in a vehicle or while unable to see the way in front or at the back or either/both sides clearly enough for safety.

I'm pretty sure that would cover itwink.png

I think that the BKK Government is starting to clear the Formula 1 tracks ........ 2 more years to go!

OK, they are right. The street vendors do have this amazing ability to occupy every free square inch, leaving ample space to park or walk.

It's my understanding, and I'm not being snarky, that is not illegal for a motorbike to drive on the sidewalk.

Unfortunately, very unfortunately, I've also heard that this is the case. TIT to the max.

No and neither will any of the above enforced absolute joke. Just got back from Saigon what a dream, no Soi dogs , no street venders, clean streets and everyone wears a crash helmet ( bikers that is )

All you skeptics who say nothing will happen as a result of this latest crackdown order have missed the coded message. Since foreigners don't get to vote in the city gubernatorial election the crackdown will obviously be applied only to them to avoid inconveniencing bribe paying vendors and their customers. Municipal thesakhit police will make the city streets spick and span by doubling up on the crackdown on non-smoking foreigners who litter virtual cigarette buts all over Sukhumvit between Nana and Asoke where litter bins have already been removed to enhance cleanliness and everyone except a few dumb tourists will be happy.

My understanding is that every baht goes directly to the police , and is in essence pocketed by them. If it was revenue that actually went to the municipality, and thus could be used to improve infrastructure at that would make more sense. Blocking sidewalks so policemen can have more mia nois is just dam_n annoying ...... I personally like street food, and enjoy interacting with the vendors. With a bit of control, I think it adds a nice touch of flavor to the city. However with the police greed to rent out every square inch of the sidewalk, that is when things turn bad. Meaning I have to go out on walk on the street just to go past.