Multiple Entry Visa?

Hi All,

I am looking to come to BK in early Feb 06 and am a bit confused over the visa types. My intention is to find work teaching English. I am 50 years old, with degree, qualified teacher and TEFL cert. I am also intending to transfer around 2 million BHT into a BK bank. I am coming from London.

I know I can get a Tourist visa, but it seems I will only get around 30 days. I've heard of the visa runs, but my research (mainly on this forum, thanks all) tells me I may be better with a multiple entry visa, which will give me 90 days.

Therefore my question is, with me looking to work and wanting to get as along a visa as possible, what is the best option for me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Apply for a multiple-entry tourist visa. You can apply for two, three, or more entries.

Each entry is good for 60-days, and can be extended for 30-days within Thailand at an Immigration Office (for 1900 Baht).

When the visa expires, you will be required to leave the country (i.e. border run), and then re-enter the following day utilizing the next visa. Repeat this until you exhaust your multiple-entry visas, or you have a job. Bear in mind that you cannot work with a multiple-entry tourist visa!

If you get offered a job, you will be required to apply for a different type of visa (non-imm b?) and also apply for a work permit. This is all done outside of Thailand (folks say that Penang is best place to go).

Query (google) TV for more info on what is needed for the non-imm b visa and work permit.

P.S. You might also want to weigh the option of applying for a non-imm o-a (?) visa for retirees, since you are at the magical age of 50. But I am not sure what impact there will be if you get this visa, and then start looking for work.

A non immigrant O visa to explore retirement possibilities or a non immigrant B to explore investment opportunities would be my choice, if you can obtain from a smaller Consulate. They would allow 90 days for single entry type to look around and obtain work.

A tourist visa from a Consulate will allow a 60 day stay and an extension of 30 days but you would have to change visa class to work (not a big problem but another step).

Apply for a multiple-entry tourist visa.  You can apply for two, three, or more entries.

Just a quick point if its your (or anyones) intention just to stay in Thailand there is no benefit in applying for more than 3 entries as the visa when issued will only have a 6 month validity on it rendering any entries above 3 useless.

OP as Lopburi states a Non Imm O or B is the way to go for you.........obtain a single entry if you are sure about finding work or intend to retire (not work and extend by 1 year)..............or alternatively a multiple entry if you wish to simply border run every 90 days.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your input, it seems that a multiple entry will do for me. It will give me time to look around for the best place to live and work, without feeling I have to take the first job that comes along.

Then as you say, once I find a job a job, I can apply for a work permit etc. No doubt I will then be back on the forum for more help!

So I am at the magic age! Wow, don't get this kind of treatment in the UK!!!

Thanks again