Bluesky

bristolgeoff

Strange ... The reflection I posted about Ian's passing included the Blue Sky Bar. As well, Nu was a good-hearted person who put up with incredible antics by foreigners (and Thais) while running a 24-hour bar.

She would rest on a lawn chair throughout the night, no doubt keeping one wary eye open for the latest craziness that would break out. I know for a fact she was extremely kind to the down-on-his-luck Englishman who lived for years on an overstayed visa and no money (his name escapes me now -- long gray beard and hair, very skinny).

For working girls just off the bus or Thaepae Gate, Nu's would often be the first place of employment. She helped many a girl get a leg up, as it were...

Through it all, she managed to retain a dignity and humanity. I understand she also made a whole lot of money.

RIP, Nu

I can't say I spent much time at Bluesky; perhaps a couple times in their old location in the old Bar Beer Center at Thapae Gate, well over a decade ago. Even then it was a bit of a scene.. but a part of the old Chiang Mai boozers culture nonetheless. In that sense it may be the end of an era. :(

Sad to hear. I've known her for nearly 20 years, going back to the old place at the Bar Beer Center. Any details on what happened? I saw her maybe a month ago and she looked tired but not particularly ill or anything like that...

Always sad to hear when a local icon passes away. Nu was in "business" with Rudi the mad German biker, and between them made some good money. She always looked after the day time drinkers, all who have passed on too, such as Abe, Andy Mao, Ronnie and Ian. She also looked after Abe in his later years with a small "subsidised" room in the Blue Sky. A kind hearted lady who never lost touch with reality.

She will be missed.......

Edited by Maejo Man

Strange ... The reflection I posted about Ian's passing included the Blue Sky Bar. As well, Nu was a good-hearted person who put up with incredible antics by foreigners (and Thais) while running a 24-hour bar.

She would rest on a lawn chair throughout the night, no doubt keeping one wary eye open for the latest craziness that would break out. I know for a fact she was extremely kind to the down-on-his-luck Englishman who lived for years on an overstayed visa and no money (his name escapes me now -- long gray beard and hair, very skinny).

For working girls just off the bus or Thaepae Gate, Nu's would often be the first place of employment. She helped many a girl get a leg up, as it were...

Through it all, she managed to retain a dignity and humanity. I understand she also made a whole lot of money.

RIP, Nu

That was Abe you were thinking of - Nan looked after Abe very well until he was unfit to stay in his room at the Blue Sky and had to go into Hospital where a number of CM local expats got his UK passport, pension and Thai Visa sorted before he passed away. Nan was a 'Grand old Lady' in the best possible sense and I will miss her. She was also one of the founding members of the Chiang Mai Pool League with two teams. I will make sure I pay a visit to Blue Sky and pay my condoloncies next week when I am back.

R.I.P. Nan