Bkk To Hua Hin

shdevine

You can take the airport link to Phaya Thai and then BTS to Victory Monument. Below the platform are a number of minibuses. Do not bother with the train, train arrives at horrible hours. Do not go out to Sai Tai Mai, that is not worth the effort.

This topic comes up quite often and I do not believe there are any traditional shared mini-vans operating between SBIA (BKK airport) and Hua Hin/Cha Am.

A traditional metered taxi can be arranged at SBIA for as little as 2,000 baht, flat-fare, one-way, although this may involve some negotiation.

As mentioned you can head into town on the airport train to Phaya Thai, then transfer to the BTS to Victory Monument, to find some traditional shared mini-van service at the Century Cinema Complex near the Victory Monument BTS station.

http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/3311403

As far as I know, there are no buses from BKK to HH. As already pointed out, you could take a minibus from Victory Monument (at the foot of the BTS stairs).

However, if you have a lot of luggage, I'd suggest just taking a taxi.

The fare to most towns in Thailand is fixed. You'll find the fare from BKK to town X,Y or Z hanging down behind the drivers seat (in most taxis anyway). I can't remember the fare from BKK to HH, but I believe it's either 2,000 or 2,5000 (one way, flat). From what I've been told, negotiations are out of the question. The fare is, as printed.

Buses leave the Southern Bus Terminal (Satanee Sai Tai) to Hua Hin every 30 minutes from 0500 to 2200. The terminal is an almost 45 minute taxi ride from Central Bangkok, usually around B200.

There are also several daily trains from Hua Lamphung station at the end of the MRT (Subway)

At least until last year there was a direct bus from the Airport bus terminal but I see no mention of it now. Most airport buses were phased out when the Rail Link opened.

There are now a number of bus operators on the ground level of the airport terminal, left end as you face outwards. I would not be surprised if one of them has service to Hua Hin

You can take the airport link to Phaya Thai and then BTS to Victory Monument. Below the platform are a number of minibuses. Do not bother with the train, train arrives at horrible hours. Do not go out to Sai Tai Mai, that is not worth the effort.

Why is it that there are so many people on thaivisa that post replies about things they know nothing about. Train arrival times are varied and not horrible at all.

minivans are 180B and are fast (often too fast, tho the company at the bottom of the stairs out of the south east (?) exit seem to be quite safe (4 wheels on the tarmac etc)

taxis are 1500B, and can be lower if you lucky (maybe grab one from the departures level, rather than the arrivals,as these guys will be more keen for a fare)

Why is it that there are so many people on thaivisa that post replies about things they know nothing about. Train arrival times are varied and not horrible at all.

Kind of like all your "love or leave" it replies!

Yes, I should have stated the EVENING trains arrive at bad hours.

You gain nothing by taking a train. The trip to the train station is longer, then you will have to grab a ticket (on availability) and wait for that train - which generally takes longer than a minivan. Add to this you may only be able to get an AC Chair or even 3rd class. So yes, it is going to be way longer than a minivan.

The idea that I "know nothing about" what? Travel, schedules (to HH)?? I commented on something off the top of my head and indeed would argue that I am at least in part correct (evening) and the earlier trains are not worth bothering with - even if you are not coming from the airport.

Well, there are only two trains in the morning, one of which takes 4+ hours (in Rot Fai Thai time this is closer to 6 hours), so not as varied at some experts think perhaps?

I've taken the 8:05 Special Express, and it was OK, maybe only an hour late arriving.

If total travel time is not important then the train, or even the bus (from Sai Tai Mai), are fine. Even the SARL/BTS/minivan route might take ~ 5 + hours door-to-door, with lots of schelpping of bags up/down/up/down, and purchasing of three different tickets. Hello taxi.

I have to second the minivans--they're much faster and more comfortable than the trains. And cheaper.

- and more dangerous!

I never go with MiniVans, haven´t you been aware of all the accidents? Young drivers, no experience, drive fast, earn a commission etc.

Take the train, don´t sit in the frontcars, dam_n rodfai have accidents too!

Yep, I know, I´m scared after 12 years in LOS with no accidents, the place is crazy, maybe my karma-number is up next, whoop-whoop!

• Like 1

taxis are 1500B

You sure about this?

1200 to 1,500 sounds more like Pattaya.

I think 2,000 for Hua Hin would be more accurate. That is what I paid for a car service, coming back, last time and it included tolls. I thought it was a decent deal given I have seen the price lists in Taxis quote around 2500 (if I'm not mistaken).

But maybe it is different at the airport.

Edited by Nisa

Yes, I should have stated the EVENING trains arrive at bad hours.

You gain nothing by taking a train. The trip to the train station is longer, then you will have to grab a ticket (on availability) and wait for that train - which generally takes longer than a minivan. Add to this you may only be able to get an AC Chair or even 3rd class. So yes, it is going to be way longer than a minivan.

The idea that I "know nothing about" what? Travel, schedules (to HH)?? I commented on something off the top of my head and indeed would argue that I am at least in part correct (evening) and the earlier trains are not worth bothering with - even if you are not coming from the airport.

I find the trains on these types of trips more relaxing and prefer the non-A/C trains. They generally are longer but imo more comfortable and much less stressful than sitting in a crowded van as your driver tail gates, speeds and makes non-stop unsafe lane changes.

What can you see when you take the train during the day ?

Was thinking of taking the 8am train down to Hua Hin and just wondering if it goes thru rice fields, mountains or ????

thanks

BK

There is nothing really extraordinary to see that I recall but it was all pleasant or interesting ... a mix of country sides, farms and small towns. However, it is nice to watch the scenery and I personally prefer the non-A/C trains with the windows down as it provides a nice constant breeze and you are not hot in the least bit (they also have fans on the ceiling). You can also drink and eat on the train as there are people selling all sorts of food and drink (alcohol & non-alcohol) items. If you've never taken the train, I recommend doing it at least once and this is not too long of a trip ... it is kind of like going back in time.

Thanks, I took the train once to Hat Yai in my "Escape the Yellow Shirts" trip back home and liked it ,

The worst part was getting out of BKK which took a long time,

its fun if you are not in a hurry smile.png

BK

I have never tried to catch the train at Bang Sue but I know they have a ticket office there as well as it being right next to the MRT as is the Hua Lamphong Train Station. However, every time I take the train I swear next time I will get on at Bang Sue because it takes about 45 minutes to an hour to get from Hua Lamphong to the Bang Sue stop.

Does anyone know if there is a problem with getting your ticket at the Bang Sue station instead of Hua Lamphong? It just seems like everyone uses Hua Lamphong because it is the main station and has the time tables from there online.

... shdevine ... if you are not getting it, vans here are almost universally dangerous ... avoid them at nearly all expense ... I do not allow my kids in them ... if you must take a van, avoid travel especially on weekend late afternoon and evenings (drunks) ... early morning are probably the safest hours.

... if you are not too constrained on budget, a private car or taxi will reduce your trip to Hua Hin from a half day of aggravation to about 2-hours and 45 minutes.

... I use http://www.thelimopattaya.com ... THB 2,500 one-way includes all fees, tolls, petro, everything ... English-speaking driver ... and safe! (they 'get' farang concerns about safety) ... clean, recent model Toyota 4-door Altis ... the guys are never late on pick-up and never get lost ... (if they haven't been to your destination previously, Thais don't read maps so well, and will not admit they are lost ... aggravating).

... so worthwhile if you are traveling with more than one person, or carrying lots of bags.

• Like 1

Thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions.

The minivan/minibus option seems a bit faster than the train (and cheaper), but poses some safety risks and I don't know if there's a fixed departure schedule from Victory Monument?

I will be meeting a friend at the airport (arriving from Chiang Mai) at about 1:30 p.m. mid-week and we plan to go directly to Hua Hin. Sounds like we can probably line up a taxi for approx 2000THB (maybe a bit more, inclusive of tolls) and it will take approx. 3 hours. This appears to be the best option (although a bit costlier than I would have planned on) when I consolidate all the responses received.

Even if we were feeling bold and adventurous, it sounds like it would be more like 5-6 hours if we were to go to Victory Monument and take our chances with the minivans, not to mention uncertainty as to schedule, and it will be mid to late afternoon by then, so we might be banging up against rush hour traffic. I don't want to run the risk of not pulling into Hua Hin until 8 or 9 p.m., and this would be a very real possibility based on a few of the responses I received.

Have I got it about right?

The minivan/minibus option seems a bit faster than the train (and cheaper), but poses some safety risks and I don't know if there's a fixed departure schedule from Victory Monument?

I will be meeting a friend at the airport (arriving from Chiang Mai) at about 1:30 p.m. mid-week and we plan to go directly to Hua Hin. Sounds like we can probably line up a taxi for approx 2000THB (maybe a bit more, inclusive of tolls) and it will take approx. 3 hours. This appears to be the best option (although a bit costlier than I would have planned on) when I consolidate all the responses received.

Even if we were feeling bold and adventurous, it sounds like it would be more like 5-6 hours if we were to go to Victory Monument and take our chances with the minivans, not to mention uncertainty as to schedule, and it will be mid to late afternoon by then, so we might be banging up against rush hour traffic. I don't want to run the risk of not pulling into Hua Hin until 8 or 9 p.m., and this would be a very real possibility based on a few of the responses I received.

I would suggest you find a car service to take you and not roll the dice on finding a taxi that will take you at the airport at this price and isn't shady. PM if you want the name and number of a place. I've used them a few times going back and fourth and can also hire a driver for the day while in Hua Hin to take you to places outside such as the winery and water falls. I'd give you the info now but my wife has it and she is asleep. I'm sure other can recommend some services too.

• Like 1

I would suggest you find a car service to take you and not roll the dice on finding a taxi that will take you at the airport at this price and isn't shady. PM if you want the name and number of a place. I've used them a few times going back and fourth and can also hire a driver for the day while in Hua Hin to take you to places outside such as the winery and water falls. I'd give you the info now but my wife has it and she is asleep. I'm sure other can recommend some services too.

Sure, please provide a contact name and number for a car service that you would recommend. Thanks.

Avoid taking the minibuses at night though. I've encountered way too many sleepy drivers.

This topic comes up quite often and I do not believe there are any traditional shared mini-vans operating between SBIA (BKK airport) and Hua Hin/Cha Am.

A traditional metered taxi can be arranged at SBIA for as little as 2,000 baht, flat-fare, one-way, although this may involve some negotiation.

As mentioned you can head into town on the airport train to Phaya Thai, then transfer to the BTS to Victory Monument, to find some traditional shared mini-van service at the Century Cinema Complex near the Victory Monument BTS station.

http://www.travelblo.../Photos/3311403

Indeed it does, there must have been at least 10 BKK to HH threads all asking the same queries posted in the last 12 months or so. The same info is posted in replies and the same debates had regarding the merits and costs of one combo of transport options compared to another.

A simple search would suffice for most OPs but failing that perhaps a sticky thread given how many times this query pops up? :)