Does Any One Actually Use A Non Android / Apple Mobile Phone

All very nice in their own way , but the question that flashed through my mind was , is it a wise move to now buy a new Symbian phone when its future regarding OS support updates etc , could be bleak sad.png What do you think ?

With the recent models you will get updates until 2016. That will certainly be sufficient. Most Androids are supported for one year only, after that the "support" comes from the hacker-community.....

Only buy the latest Nokia models, best is at the moment the 701.

These are still "phones", so they are not running on quadcore and other "I have the biggest"-contests. They still can get most jobs done, and I really don't miss the 1 million apps others brag about. Get the Opera browser which is far superior to Nokia's own.

Regarding Nokia Maps versus Google Maps: there is really no comparision. Google is just not a proper "turn-by-turn" navigation system. But it depends, of course, on the maps. And like everything in Thailand, the Navteq maps are not always very accurate. Acceptable in Bangkok, but not perfect. They are great in Europe, and you also get traffic information to move around traffic jams. Good in Malaysia, Singapore. OK in Vietnam. No maps for Japan.

For around 10K Baht, you cannot do wrong with a recent Nokia. Androids in this price range are far inferior, they even don't support all Thai 3G-frequencies. If you want better specs, plan to invest around 20K and get a decent Android/iPhone. But you will miss Nokia maps.

The Lumias (Windows Phone) are a totally different picture. Based on the "iphone-model" of closed-shop, but easy as a microwave. Quite a hype in Singapore where people were queuing for hours. I'd rather wait until next year and see. They have great potential for sure.

All very nice in their own way , but the question that flashed through my mind was , is it a wise move to now buy a new Symbian phone when its future regarding OS support updates etc , could be bleak sad.png What do you think ?

With the recent models you will get updates until 2016. That will certainly be sufficient. Most Androids are supported for one year only, after that the "support" comes from the hacker-community.....

These are still "phones", so they are not running on quadcore and other "I have the biggest"-contests. They still can get most jobs done, and I really don't miss the 1 million apps others brag about. Get the Opera browser which is far superior to Nokia's own.

Regarding Nokia Maps versus Google Maps: there is really no comparision. Google is just not a proper "turn-by-turn" navigation system. But it depends, of course, on the maps. And like everything in Thailand, the Navteq maps are not always very accurate. Acceptable in Bangkok, but not perfect. They are great in Europe, and you also get traffic information to move around traffic jams. Good in Malaysia, Singapore. OK in Vietnam. No maps for Japan.

For around 10K Baht, you cannot do wrong with a recent Nokia. Androids in this price range are far inferior, they even don't support all Thai 3G-frequencies. If you want better specs, plan to invest around 20K and get a decent Android/iPhone. But you will miss Nokia maps.

The Lumias (Windows Phone) are a totally different picture. Based on the "iphone-model" of closed-shop, but easy as a microwave. Quite a hype in Singapore where people were queuing for hours. I'd rather wait until next year and see. They have great potential for sure.

Thanks for the comments thumbsup.gif

yesterday I played with a Nokia N8

Felt really well built , one thing I found a bit off putting was the way the rear camera housing stuck out a bit from the phone's body , sort of like it was stuck on after , but still a nice phone

Screenshot2012-05-09at60710PM.png

Thanks for the comments thumbsup.gif

yesterday I played with a Nokia N8

Felt really well built , one thing I found a bit off putting was the way the rear camera housing stuck out a bit from the phone's body , sort of like it was stuck on after , but still a nice phone

Screenshot2012-05-09at60710PM.png

Yep, but the N8 has still the best camera of any mobile phone. No other phone comes near, and even many p/s cameras perform worse. So if a proper camera is important to you, the N8 is still an option, even if it is now nearly 2 years old.

But in a few months the 808 will arrive and that will be another dimension of camera phone. Check the reports and pics in the net! But I believe, that the 808 will not be that cheap, probably in the high end range.

Anyway, N8, C7 and some others are still the older generation with a slower processor. Today I would go for the 701 or 603, which have a faster processor and are quite slick. The camera of the 701 is also quite good, but no macro photos, everything less than approx 40cm will not be sharp.

PS: in my posting above I said that midrange Androids cannot compete with similar priced Nokias. There may be one exception: "HTC One V" which has 3-band 3G - necessary in Thailand - and quite nice specs. It is around 10K and you may check it out and read the reviews.

sygic will give you turn by turn navigation if you need that kind thing ,works surprising well in the middle of nowwhere

it gets a bit muddled in the city when you have big interesctions with flyovers,quad-carriage ways ,and spagetti junction type places with mrt lines running overhead

As owner of N8 since launch I think you'd have to be mad to buy a symbian device now tbh. Supposed support until 2016 (actually think they changed that to 2015) but it's obvious nokia and app developers have no interest in symbian.

As for build quality of n8 in particular my bottom plastic cap broke off within a couple months from regular use.

I would either get a WP 7.5 device at that price point (you can put nokia drive on all WP devices I believe)

Or spend a little more and get MBK 13.5K nexus (can install sygic offline maps) or 10K one v like GS said

Edited by lennois

sygic will give you turn by turn navigation if you need that kind thing ,works surprising well in the middle of nowwhere

it gets a bit muddled in the city when you have big interesctions with flyovers,quad-carriage ways ,and spagetti junction type places with mrt lines running overhead

Yea same with nokia maps. They are a nightmare in BKK.

Google Navigation is turn by turn and is integrated into Google maps. Works brilliantly although not in Thailand unfortunately.

The directions feature of Google maps is also excellent. I had a chance to try it recently some place where public transport routes was supported. Really saved me a lot of time and hassle.

As owner of N8 since launch I think you'd have to be mad to buy a symbian device now tbh. Supposed support until 2016 (actually think they changed that to 2015) but it's obvious nokia and app developers have no interest in symbian.

As for build quality of n8 in particular my bottom plastic cap broke off within a couple months from regular use.

I would either get a WP 7.5 device at that price point (you can put nokia drive on all WP devices I believe)

Or spend a little more and get MBK 13.5K nexus (can install sygic offline maps) or 10K one v like GS said

I was toying with the idea of trying a WP 7.5 phone , and the Nokia lumia 710 looked a decent spec , but then I saw this .....

Com1.png

com2-1.png

The Nokia Lumia 610 has the 850Mhz band but the specification is less sad.png

Google Navigation is turn by turn and is integrated into Google maps. Works brilliantly although not in Thailand unfortunately.

The directions feature of Google maps is also excellent. I had a chance to try it recently some place where public transport routes was supported. Really saved me a lot of time and hassle.

there is a hack to make navigation work in unsupported countries like thailand

i dont know if im allowed to post hacks here but iits widely available on XDA and via google

you can read detail;s of it

i installed it on a android phone last year and it worked perfectly