Mega Bangna

planemad

As we live in Bang Na, decided to have a look today! Certainly lives up to its name "Mega". Once you find an entrance you find a great mall with a number of tributaries leading from it. Follow it to one end and you have Ikea, but that is old hat by now. Many of the stores, the like of which can be seen anywhere, so nothing really new, just lots of everything.

I think it is good that there are so many "superstore" outlets under one roof, Big C Extra, Home Pro, Robinsons and of course Ikea. It also contains a large cinamaplex and entertainment area which we did not have time to visit.

The common theme in all the stores was "sorry, today is first day, still new and learning". Not a problem, to be expected really. The smell of Acetone however, and fresh paint is everywhere and quite overpowering. I think today crept up on them rather sooner than they expected. Many of the floor areas were very dirty, in need of a good mopping, and general building dust was still very obvious. Nothing however which would make you say "never again"

What did make me smile, on the birth of a new complex such as this, MacDonalds and KFC were maxed out from opening time. One sour note, we decided to eat and chose a little cafe opposite the 2 KFC. Tum Tum cafe looked quite nice so we decided to give it a go, menu was high tech on a tablet (that's where they all went), shame the service was not the same! Wife ordered a soft drink and I ordered a beer, of the 6 beers listed, they only had 3, Phuket beer, a Chocolate beer (didn't fancy that), and one called (honestly) fuc_king Hell! Anyway, ordered a beer and a few food dishes and waited and waited and waited! 15 minutes, not even a drink had arrived. Staff were running around like headless chickens, but were getting nowhere. Eventually, after getting the beer and the wife's drink, we decided to give up, even getting the bill took over 5 minutes. They has clearly done no staff training and it was quite embarrassing to watch. I would however say that if they can get their act together, they will have a good product, but how many people will walk away never to return?

Over all, quite a pleasant day out, the layout of the place is very light, spacious and modern (maybe even minimalist in places). Lots to look at and do. The question I would ask, is it worth a weekly trip rather than shopping at Central or Big C Bang Na?.......probably not.

Edited by planemad

Yep its new and very unorganised, some of the shops are not fully operational and there's still construction everywhere...my advice would be to stay in your local area and use your local mall. Do not come to Mega Bangna.

Seriously, we live right next door and I'm 'slightly concerned' about the general traffic chaos about to rain down on us this weekend.....

Traffic chaos is an understatement. Took us an hour just to get from the one taxi rank at Ikea out through the carpark on to Bangna Trat.

Agree with OP about the smell. Cotton On had me almost hallucinating, so strong were the fumes. Lots of shops and restaurants are not yet open, especially those that are unique to Mega. Don't know about you but I can go to McDs or Mk or Zen or Fuji anywhere and not risk a wasted hour trying to leave the joint.

The toilet facilities are a joke - teo or three on each floor. The ladies had a huge queue and the gents has 4 urinals and 2 cubicles. Molly Malones in Silom has more pissing space per customer!

It looks like it's just not yet ready - feels and works like another two weeks preparation and finishing would are needed.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com