Former Nfl Star Junior Seau Found Dead In Apparent Suicide

News_Editor

Former NFL star Junior Seau found dead in apparent suicide < br /> 2012-05-03 17:24:48 GMT+7 (ICT) OCEANSIDE, CALIFORNIA (BNO NEWS) -- Former U.S. National Football League (NFL) star Junior Seau was found dead at his home in California on Wednesday in what appeared to be a suicide, officials said. He was 43.Seau was found dead at his home in Oceanside, the third-largest city in San Diego County, after authorities received a phone call at 9:35 a.m. local time from a woman who claimed to be his girlfriend. The woman said she found Seau in a bedroom at his house, lying unconscious with a handgun not far from his body. Oceanside Police Chief Frank McCoy later confirmed that Seau was found deceased with a gunshot wound to the chest. His body was taken from the home at around 1:30 p.m. local time, and McCoy added that his death is being investigated as a suspected suicide.Seau's mother, Luisa Seau, was at church when she was informed of the incident. "I'm shocked," she said in tears during a brief statement outside the Oceanside home, adding that she had recently spoken to her son and everything seemed normal.Seau, whose parents are from the island of Aunu'u which is located in American Samoa, was a 9-time All-Pro and 12-time Pro-Bowler in the NFL after being selected 5th overall by the San Diego Chargers in the 1990 NFL Draft. "Everyone at the Chargers is in complete shock and disbelief right now," the team said in a statement. "We ask everyone to stop what they're doing and send their prayers to Junior and his family.""I can't put into words how I'm feeling right now," added Chargers President Dean Spanos. "I'm shocked and devastated. Junior was my friend. We all lost a friend today. Junior was an icon in our community. He transcended the game. He wasn't just a football player, he was so much more. He was loved by everyone in our family, our organization and throughout the NFL. This is just such a tragic loss. One of the worst things I could ever imagine. My prayers go out to Junior's family. It's heartbreaking."Meanwhile, Chargers head coach Norv Turner, who worked with Seau in San Diego and in Miami as well, described the situation as "a sad, sad day not only for me, but for the whole sports community.""I have no words to describe the passing of Junior Seau," Turner stated. "I can tell you no one had more character and true leadership ability than Junior. He brought passion to the game of football that was unmatched. His commitment to charitable causes in the community was inspiring. It was an honor to know him. My thoughts and prayers are with his family."In October 2010, Seau was charged with domestic violence against his girlfriend. He was later released, but emergency teams were later informed that he had driven off a cliff a couple of feet from the beach in Carlsbad, California, which is located 32 miles (51 kilometers) north of San Diego. Investigations concluded that the accident occurred due to Seau's lack of sleep. tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-05-03

American football is just a little too violent for my tastes. Never really enjoyed watching it and knew way too many people injured while playing. It is, however, a staple of many American sports fans.

I wonder how the injury rate compares with ice hockey?