No Apocalyptic Events From This Weekend's Supermoon: Thai Scientists

webfact

No danger from this weekend's supermoon: scientists

Ekapong Praditpong

Boonluen Promprathankul

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand yesterday dismissed widespread rumours that the upcoming lunar perigee - the so-called supermoon - will bring about apocalyptic events.

"Don't believe that the supermoon will bring doomsday," NARIT deputy director Saran Posayajinda said. "This natural phenomenon will just push up water levels by between 1 and 12 centimetres. It will not cause any big earthquake whatsoever."

A supermoon occurs when the perigee coincides with a full moon.

At 10.34pm on Sunday tomorrow, the moon will be closer to the Earth than at any other time in the past year. At that moment, the moon is expected to be just 356,953 kilometres away from the Earth. To human eyes, the moon will grow bigger by a few per cent during the perigee tonight. (May 5).

Last year, the moon got closest to the Earth at about 2.10am on March 20. It was just 356,577km away.

Rumours that the supermoon will cause disasters are spreading like wildfire, though. Some people are really worried, while some others say they just have to take precautions.

"I am moving my belongings to higher ground," Payom Kaewdaeng said. He is a resident of the Pak Klong area of Ranong's Muang district.

He said people in many coastal communities had taken the same steps.

"The sea level has sometimes got so high that it damaged our stuff," Payom said. Many people have erected sandbag walls around their houses.

A disaster prevention and mitigation official in Ranong said that when the moon gets closer to the Earth, sea tides are harsher for about two weeks.

"But there will be no serious impacts, besides the moon shining brighter."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-05-05

I kind of laughed at the title....

"No Apocalyptic Events From This Weekend's Supermoon: Thai Scientists"

So...they can predict there will be no earthquakes this weekend? COOL! Thai scientists are smarter than the rest of the world's.

It's not necessary to slag off all Thai scientists, the article is a press release designed to reasurre a largely poor, uneducated and highly superstitious population. It's too bad you didn't make a "value judgement" on what you wrote before posting.

We're all entitled to opinion and wit, dear sir! ;)

-mel.

• Like 1

I really don't know why Thailand needs a National Astronomical Research Institute. I'm sure they are fine scientist. It is quite possible this organization was invented just for this Supermoon event to quell the rumors of the masses of impending doom. I myself, as a scientific type, believe that the Supermoon will insert such a gravitational pull on certain farang, namely in Pattaya, that they will go flying off balconies unless tied down. whistling.gif

As you are a scientific, can you tell us if the supermoon will have some erectile effects in Pattaya and Phuket massage parlours?smile.png

Edited by Jerrytheyoung
  • Like 1

<deleted>? I didn't know there were any scientists in LOS.

Now we have 'real' Thai scientists who have just seen the moon and accept it exists; and it is, in fact, a spherical shape and there is no man on it. Cool! They're learning quickly.

<SNIP!> send them there. The land would be better off for that. My Maths and Physics O'levels put me in merits of distinction surpassing their PhDs in 'science'..... because at least I can make organised 'value judgements' which are justifiable. wink.png

-mel.

Do not tell the PM, she will tell you it is a figment of the peoples imagination

It's not necessary to slag off all Thai scientists, the article is a press release designed to reasurre a largely poor, uneducated and highly superstitious population. It's too bad you didn't make a "value judgement" on what you wrote before posting.

We're all entitled to opinion and wit, dear sir! wink.png

-mel.

Indeed Sir. Nothing can be more challenging than battling wit against indefensible and unarmed opponents

run for the hills! Grab the Chang and run for the hills!

Screw the Chang where's the Lao Khao, your going to need a stiff one.

By the way I understand from some of the recent Nat Geo programs on last years Japanese earthquake that there is 'some' evidence that that the gravitational pull of the moon does have some impact on seismic activity, although it is far from understood. It was mentioned that a number of the largest earthquakes in recent history did apparently coincide with periods like this weekend so it may not be wise to completely dismiss the chance.

The majority of whom probably cannot even read said press release... w00t.gif

I don't slag on the scientists, they respond to the question. The question from the population (or part of it).

And to be clear, if I had an employee that was convinced that the lunar event would bring about a apocalyptic event I would make sure to phase him out of the organization.

Edited by TAWP

+1clap2.gif . MEL1 has either completely missed the mark if this was an attempt at sarcasm, or has a chip on both shoulders making him a balanced individualcheesy.gif

• Like 1

I don't slag on the scientists, they respond to the question. The question from the population (or part of it).

And to be clear, if I had an employee that was convinced that the lunar event would bring about a apocalyptic event I would make sure to phase him out of the organization.

"If" you had employees. Would you really be so callus to fire some one, for voicing their opinions?

Those of us on Koh Phangan may disagree by the time this weekend is over. rolleyes.gif

Do the math the moon will only be 376 kilometers closer than it was last year. In other words look at what happened last year and prepare for more of the same.

The Nation must be hurting for news. I know it is hurting for qualified journalists.

• Like 1

"If" you had employees. Would you really be so callus to fire some one, for voicing their opinions?

As a manager I have many employees that I handle and that sometimes have to take tough decisions in regards to.

Voicing opinions is fine - truly believing there is going to be an apocalyptic event or catastrophe looming will affect a persons psyche and actions and such a person cannot be trusted to think long-term.

It would be like hiring a Jim Jones follower a couple of weeks before the mass suicide while requiring the employee to think about the companies next 5 year plan. Doesn't match.

Edited by TAWP

-mel.

Yes, you certainly are one particular kind of wit...

-mel.

where is the wit?

Those of us on Koh Phangan may disagree by the time this weekend is over. rolleyes.gif

Do the math the moon will only be 376 kilometers closer than it was last year. In other words look at what happened last year and prepare for more of the same.

The Nation must be hurting for news. I know it is hurting for qualified journalists.

@ HELLODOLLY - Do the maths? ;-) ;-) Good one! :-)

It's actually 376 Km further away, so it would have a lesser impact this year then last year.

Although, as the tides not only depend on the moon but on the planets, the dept of water, salt content and an other whole bunch of criterions, it might either be worse, same or even less impact. I don't really care, my home is high enough not to worry.

And should anyone go to the Fullmoon party in Koh Phangan, don't worry either, not so many people this month. So, no impact on sea level, as there are less people pissing in to the see ....

I worry more about a tsunami coming over from the Andaman Sea by Tuk-Tuk as we are "Miracle Amazing Thailand"

Edited by JoeLing
  • Like 1

&lt;deleted&gt;? I didn't know there were any scientists in LOS.

Oh! Apologies. I forgot the ones who say, "Don't bend over and look between your legs, you'll see GHOSTS".

Then, of course, there were the 'scientists' re-directing water during last year's infamous watery moments.

Now we have 'real' Thai scientists who have just seen the moon and accept it exists; and it is, in fact, a spherical shape and there is no man on it. Cool! They're learning quickly.

<SNIP!> send them there. The land would be better off for that. My Maths and Physics O'levels put me in merits of distinction surpassing their PhDs in 'science'..... because at least I can make organised 'value judgements' which are justifiable. wink.png

-mel.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif