Uk Settlement Visa Application Waiting Times, Bangkok

Thats great news. I think we would have been done a couple of days ago except my wife is Burmese and the assessor is a little confused with their own laws. They seem to think that she needs her TB certificate even though Appendix T clearly points out that she doesn't need it. So with a bit of luck helping them learn their own laws, we will have our visa ready in no time.

7by7 see the link below which seems to manage a similar process without such lengthy waits, are you suggesting they are wasting tax payers money. I really find it difficult to comprehend why anyone would think a three month wait is necessary for efficiency, seriously.

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently

I fail to see how the emergency passport service compares to a settlement visa; settlement applications are not an emergency!

You haven't answered the question.

What do you mean by 'correct pricing' and how would it change anything?

7by7 see the link below which seems to manage a similar process without such lengthy waits, are you suggesting they are wasting tax payers money. I really find it difficult to comprehend why anyone would think a three month wait is necessary for efficiency, seriously.

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently

I fail to see how the emergency passport service compares to a settlement visa; settlement applications are not an emergency!

You haven't answered the question.

What do you mean by 'correct pricing' and how would it change anything?

Cambodianspouse - seems to have a lot of views which aren't relevant to the subject topic

Edited by theoldgit
Quote fixed

Ignore my earlier post was some confusion my wife's visa was returned last Friday and approved however she submitted at the same time her sons application which so far has not been returned. The application number was the one straight after hers which is strange I contacted immigration in uk and they say they have never seen this happen before where the parents is returned without the child's. the other point is on her stamp it has a section which details associated child, however this is blank and there is no mention of her son has anyone any ideas can they refuse the child and not the parent, were thinking there might be an issue with the farther being named on the kids birth certificate he isn't thai but this is the only thing we can think off

As each application is treated on it's own merits then it is possible for the mother to be accepted but the child to be refused.

Especially if the mother has failed to demonstrate that she has sole responsibility.

However, it does seem strange that she has her result, but not the child's.

All I can suggest is that you contact them to ask.

You say the father isn't Thai; what nationality is he?

If British then it is possible that her son has been refused because being British he doesn't need a UK visa but should obtain a British passport instead.

The farther is Italian with a British mother and Italian farther, he currently lives in South Africa and has a South African passport however I understand is has several passport

The child has a thai passport and both mother and farther are on the birth certificate the wife has a letter written from herself to state the farther is not around and can not be located thus can not confirm his acceptance of sole responsible, we are hearing from different people this is why it has not arrived yet and will probably declined

No; if the father is involved in anyway with the application, even by submitting a letter to say he bears no responsibility over the child, then this can be construed by the ECO as evidence that he actually does share responsibility!

But at the moment this is all guesswork.

Better to start a new topic if the boy is actually refused than continue the discussion here where it could be missed by the experts. If so, then you should post a copy of the refusal notice, deleting all names and other identifying information.

Hopefully, though, he will be accepted and that wont be needed.

I received the email yesterday telling me a decision has been made, so submitted in Phnom Penh on the 17th October decision made 30th December.

I'd like to thank everyone for their help and support especially 7by7 for his knowledge and experience of the system.

My overall experience of applying for a spouse visa I must say has not been an enjoyable one and I am ashamed that my country chooses to impose this upon it's citizens. The introduction of a similar service like that used when applying for Further Leave to Remain "premium" or "super premium" could speed this process up for everyone, the fact they are not in place only leads me to believe the process is deliberately made to be difficult.

I wish everyone every success with their applications and a Happy New Year.

7by7 I agree that relationships should be able to survive more than 3 months apart, but I think peoples frustrations are more about why should they be made to wait 3 months. It is has been pointed out that this is a paying service so one would expect that if the price were set correctly then a reasonable and timely service could be expected. I feel some of us maybe suspicious as to these enforced waiting times and wonder if indeed the validity of our relationships are purposefully being tested if this is the case then I am truly saddened. I can only imagine how much worse this process would be if it meant separation from ones children as well as ones spouse. In my own case I am unable to even check that my paperwork has been received this I feel is unreasonable by any standards.

Wishing everyone the best with their applications.

I couldn't have said this any better myself.

Today my wife had a call asking for her TB test certificate as the one we did in the UK under the NHS system which is much more intense was not to their satisfaction. Under the Appendix T - Tuberculosis Screening on the UKBA's own website, it does not state that burmese people need to be screened but we had her's done from the advice from our solicitor. They don't even know their own laws. Even worse, they do not have anywhere to do the testing in Burma and there is no advice on where to get this done outside of the country.

They could end up declining my wifes visa and making us go to court based on their own lack of understanding of their own laws. I have already been in touch with the home office in the UK and their reply was simple "we don't know".

So just to reiterate exactly what Cambodianspouse said above, paying such much which is not pocket money, one would expect a better standard and infinitely fast processing times to justify their cots.

On the upside, if this is cleared up tomorrow by explaining to them about their own laws, I would expect that the processing time for us is just aorund the corner.

Hi Guys,

No further updates as of yet. We are still waiting to hear back from the embassy in Yangon Burma. I'm slightly concerned that Thailand is looking more and more like its heading for what they call a "revolution" which may cause more problems for the process. The army is starting to get involved by the sounds of things according to thaivisa; "Thailand's army moves to ease coup fears".

Like cambodianspouse said, "My overall experience of applying for a spouse visa I must say has not been an enjoyable one and I am ashamed that my country chooses to impose this upon it's citizens. The introduction of a similar service like that used when applying for Further Leave to Remain "premium" or "super premium" could speed this process up for everyone, the fact they are not in place only leads me to believe the process is deliberately made to be difficult".

VFS do not even know the laws. Processing Burmese visa's in Thailand has lead to a lack of knowledge and a longer processing time. They are asking for information that doesn't apply to us because they simply lack the knowledge in Burmese visa's. This is simply not acceptable and I am too very disappointed in how they have dealt with this process. What's worse, you can't do anything about it!

Congrats to you cambodianspouse

Submitted on the 17th October. Decision was made today. Will know if it was approved tomorrow.

Will be pretty pissed off if it isn't as we have been married for 8 years and have two children with British passports.

Submitted on the 17th October. Decision was made today. Will know if it was approved tomorrow.

Will be pretty pissed off if it isn't as we have been married for 8 years and have two children with British passports.

Good luck.. That was 10 weeks in working days exactly when holidays are removed. Seems 10 weeks is the average processing time over the past few weeks.

• Like 1

Everything approved. Flight booked for Friday. With no help from Thai Airways and their ridiculous policies. First of all I couldnt book a one way ticket over the phone from the London office as they said it would cost 3 times as much. Then I couldnt book from the Thai office as the credit card holder had to go and show the card in person. Then they said I could book on line but would have to go to London in person and fill in a form at the Thai airways office with the credit card. So, so glad to be far away from that place.

The visa arrived in Phnom Penh yesterday, wife collected today, approved!

Barney commonsense will prevail with your application I am sure.

Good luck everyone else and thanks for the support.

CS

congrats to you sir, good to hear that they are pulling their fingers out.

Unfortunately they have been sent Appendix T explaining who needs a TB certificate countless times but they fail to read their own law. My solicitor has also emailed them, its like they have selective reading. I have even started to explain by using capital letters with certain words, its extremely hard work dealing with clowns. We are now in the 13th week and they seem concerned about laws that do not have any relation to our case.

Just some advice for people who are not travelling with their partners. I booked with British Airways last time for my wife's tourist visa and I had some issues with using my credit card and letting my wife fly alone. I needed to phone British Airways to explain that I paid for the flight but my wife was flying. As always with bureaucracy, this took some time. I'm guessing this is common for these types of flights now.