Uk Settlement Visa Application Waiting Times, Bangkok

Quick update - the 9 week processing times we saw a couple of weeks ago must have gone, 9 weeks passed today no changes on the tracking web site

BarneyRubble - Have you any updates as you were 2 days before us also

Getting really frustrated now

Hi mate,

we have heard nothing as of yet, still waiting patiently.

Anybody know how the VFS tracker system updates, when it leaves the embassy to go back to VFS is it automated to say processed meaning its left the embassy and is ready for collection at VFS or do they arrive back at VFS then the staff there have to update the site ???

I've given up getting frustrated and angry with their money grabbing system and accept it for what it is, poor service, lack of empathy for honest people and very expensive.

I agree, 3 months to process an application is actually diabolical considering the cost. When you take having to make arrangements to go back to Thailand again into account, it's more like 4 months in total. Thankfully we will all only need to go through this process once. No doubt they're already planning some more ridiculous obstacles and costs to add into the whole process to make it even more expensive and difficult than it is already.

As for the VFS tracker you mentioned, popular opinion of that appears to be that it is:

a. Useless

b. Never changes until the application has been processed

c. Is wrongly named, as it doesn't track anything, all it ever says is' sent to Embassy'

Edited by Rob180

The latest processing figures for the UKBA for November have now appeared. None were completed within 40 days and most were completed within 60 days. That doesn't tell us much, apart from the fact it was 40 days/8 weeks minimum, as we don't know how many were completed between days 40-50 and 50-60.

Settlement Visas 2 days 3 days 5 days 10 days 15 days 40 days 60 days 90 days 120 days

Settlement 0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 91% 98% 100%

Total Decisions Made: 118

The above data is for all decisions made in November 2013

Edited by Rob180

Were 53 days today (monday - fridays) so hopefully with any luck we'll get news before the 2 days xmas break

Hi Guys,

Quick update. My wife phoned the embassy the other day to change her number of contact. She asked about her visa and was told that they would ring her on the 3 months mark. So we applied on the 9th October but as we have lost 2 days as there has currently been 2 holiday days since applying, we will reach exactly 10 weeks this friday, leaving us 2 weeks short. As there are so many holiday coming up, it should mean we will reach 12 weeks around the 9th January.

Knowing that this process can be sorted in the UK when applying from within the UK in no more than 2 days, its enough to send relationships in near breakup. I think a challenge for the most strongest of relationships.

Its a shame that this system does this to their own people, they allow people from other countries within the EU into the UK and offer benefits on arrival. This process is beginning to make me feel quite sour about the country I was born in.

Not just the EU i'm form up North in Lancashire and being white is actually a minority in a lot of towns.

I thought there was only the Kings birthday since our application, and then the 25, 26th in december

Looking at processing times 91% are completed in 60 days I think maybe they say the 3 month mark so you have no expectations, however my glass is always half full.

This was posted by Rob180;

• Wednesday 23 October - Chulalongkorn Day
  • Thursday 5 December - HM King’s Birthday
  • Wednesday 25 December - Christmas Day
  • Thursday 26 December - Boxing Day
  • Tuesday 31 December - New Year’s Eve

It would also include New Years day too.

I wouldn't question anything, expect 3 months plus. They have told us to expect a call on the 3 months mark. I will be sticking with that and then after the 3 months if they haven't called, I will be wanting to know why we are not able to get our visa. We waited past the expected date for the tourist visa last time.

Knowing that this process can be sorted in the UK when applying from within the UK in no more than 2 days

The premium service for FLR and ILR usually gives the decision on the same day, next at most; but this is very expensive and is not, as you know, available outside the UK.

Postal LTR applications in the UK take 3 to 6 months to process.

it's enough to send relationships in near breakup. I think a challenge for the most strongest of relationships.

Sorry, but in my honest opinion if your relationship cannot survive a three month separation while your partner's visa is processed, then it's unlikely to survive long term anyway!

My wife applied in October, and didn't arrive in the UK until February. It was frustrating to be separated for that time, of course, but we survived and 13 years later are still together.

Its a shame that this system does this to their own people, they allow people from other countries within the EU into the UK and offer benefits on arrival. This process is beginning to make me feel quite sour about the country I was born in.

The EEA freedom of movement regulations which you feel sour about are used by approximately 1.5 million British people in order to live in other EEA countries. They work both ways.

Despite Cameron's recent pronouncements, nothing has really changed about EEA migrant's clai9ming benefits immediately upon arrival; basically, they can't.

7by7 I agree that relationships should be able to survive more than 3 months apart, but I think peoples frustrations are more about why should they be made to wait 3 months. It is has been pointed out that this is a paying service so one would expect that if the price were set correctly then a reasonable and timely service could be expected. I feel some of us maybe suspicious as to these enforced waiting times and wonder if indeed the validity of our relationships are purposefully being tested if this is the case then I am truly saddened. I can only imagine how much worse this process would be if it meant separation from ones children as well as ones spouse. In my own case I am unable to even check that my paperwork has been received this I feel is unreasonable by any standards.

Wishing everyone the best with their applications.

• Like 1

7by7 I agree that relationships should be able to survive more than 3 months apart, but I think peoples frustrations are more about why should they be made to wait 3 months. It is has been pointed out that this is a paying service so one would expect that if the price were set correctly then a reasonable and timely service could be expected. I feel some of us maybe suspicious as to these enforced waiting times and wonder if indeed the validity of our relationships are purposefully being tested if this is the case then I am truly saddened. I can only imagine how much worse this process would be if it meant separation from ones children as well as ones spouse. In my own case I am unable to even check that my paperwork has been received this I feel is unreasonable by any standards.

Wishing everyone the best with their applications.

I couldn't have said this any better myself.

Today my wife had a call asking for her TB test certificate as the one we did in the UK under the NHS system which is much more intense was not to their satisfaction. Under the Appendix T - Tuberculosis Screening on the UKBA's own website, it does not state that burmese people need to be screened but we had her's done from the advice from our solicitor. They don't even know their own laws. Even worse, they do not have anywhere to do the testing in Burma and there is no advice on where to get this done outside of the country.

They could end up declining my wifes visa and making us go to court based on their own lack of understanding of their own laws. I have already been in touch with the home office in the UK and their reply was simple "we don't know".

So just to reiterate exactly what Cambodianspouse said above, paying such much which is not pocket money, one would expect a better standard and infinitely fast processing times to justify their cots.

On the upside, if this is cleared up tomorrow by explaining to them about their own laws, I would expect that the processing time for us is just aorund the corner.

I have posted many times in this forum about what I consider to be the unfairness of the exorbitant fees charged for visa and Leave to Remain applications; I wont bore everyone by repeating those posts here.

With regard to processing times, one must remember that settlement applications are not the only ones dealt with at the embassy.

The November figures show that in total the Bangkok embassy processed 4079 applications.

Of those, 3861 were visit visas of some kind.

Whilst it may seem unfair to put visit visas ahead of settlement visas, it does need to be remembered that visitors are usually on a tighter schedule than those seeking settlement. A delay of 3 months in a visit application could easily mean that the visit opportunity is missed; whilst a delay of 3 months in a settlement application, whilst frustrating at the time, is not that long when you consider the couple are planning to spend a lifetime together.

Especially as all the official advice is to allow at least three months for a settlement visa application to be processed; so people should be aware of the potential wait.

It's difficult to see how the tracking service could be improved. An application is either waiting to be processed or it's been processed and returned to VFS. I suppose something like a queue system whilst waiting to speak to someone on the phone, e.g. "you are now 6th in the queue," could be used. But what would people prefer staff to be doing; updating such a system or getting on with the actual processing?

I think my point was that a paying service needn't be slow if priced correctly (that's how the world works) and if the reasons you state are true then they could be corrected easily by simply employing more staff.

In your personal circumstances the 3 months may not have seemed that long, but for a pregnant spouse, or a mother separated from her young children, illness, I would guess 3 months could seem very long. The current system makes no allowances for such circumstance although you suggest they give preferential treatment to visitors visa so they understand the concept.

The tracking services could very easily be improved it could be extended to serve all applications i.e. Cambodia, Burma this as I stated is unreasonable by any standards and very easily corrected.

The staff levels at any entry clearance office are set by the UKBA: following guidance/instructions from their masters, the Home Office; following guidance/instructions from their masters, the government.

The principle seems to be having enough staff in place so that most applications can be dealt with inside the service standard at busy periods, like now, but not so many that ECOs are sat twiddling their thumbs at quieter periods.

If you feel that they should employ more staff, the people to complain to are the government via your MP. But I wonder how many British tax payers would be happy to pay for ECOs to do nothing at quiet times so that all visa applications can be dealt with in days rather than weeks at busy ones.

But, I hear you say, move them about from embassy to embassy to cover the busy periods. Seems reasonable; until you realise that the busy periods tend to coincide.

You make it sound as though the decision to move to the UK is a spur of the moment one. Certainly in our case it wasn't. We looked at all the options and once the decision had been made knew roughly how long it was going to take. I'm sure that the majority of couples are the same.

Pregnant spouse? Are there couples who on discovering the wife is pregnant suddenly decide to move to the UK? With respect, if so then they have shown poor planning; in more ways than one! I suppose that she could become pregnant while the application was being processed; but in that case she should receive her visa in plenty of time to be able to fly.

Mother separated from young children? Like many, my wife and her daughter applied at the same time, and so weren't separated. I think that is the best way. I do appreciate that it is not always possible and that the mother sometimes comes first and child follows later; but then having voluntarily separated herself from her children for months even years, why should a mother expect special treatment now she's decided to have them join her in the UK?

Of course, the children could have British nationality from their father; in which case there is the choice of remaining with their mother while her visa is processed or returning to the UK with their father. But in most such cases, wouldn't the father be waiting for the visa result so they can all come together anyway?

Illness? If they are so ill they need the visa issued inside three months then they will probably be too ill to fly anyway. Family illness in the UK? They can apply for, and will usually receive, a visit visa and have it expedited due to compassionate circumstances if it is vital they travel to the UK quickly due to this.

I'm sorry to seem harsh; but there are far more important things about family settlement visas which need to be fought against and changed; the financial requirement being prime amongst them.

A wait of up to three months for the visa is nothing compared to the plight of families separated, some indefinitely, by the unfair and unreasonable requirements of that iniquitous piece of legislation!

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

I 100% agree with you that the financial requirement legislation is totally unjust, but your concept that speeding up the spouse visa process would result in ECOs twiddling their thumbs at the tax expense makes no sense, if the they had a correct pricing in system (my point once again).

My own personal circumstances were that I returned to the UK after an unexpected job offer tempted me out of retirement, at no point was I expressing for my own personal circumstances. I was simply showing some compassion to others who may have more pressing needs, where as you seem to be oblivious to the sentiment of some posters who are obviously missing there loved ones with Christmas nearing.

We just have a different out look on life lets just leave it at that.

my wife is currently on her way to bkk and tomorrow morning will hand in her settlement application at the VAC.

we both know about the 3 months (ish) wait, it will be hard and if granted worth it in the long run.

as stated before its out of our control.

im not going to think about chasing it up now until the end of march. which would be nice to go pick her up and have my birthday and songkran celebrations and her leaving do all at once!! smile.png

cant wait..

Edited by rossi2000

I 100% agree with you that the financial requirement legislation is totally unjust, but your concept that speeding up the spouse visa process would result in ECOs twiddling their thumbs at the tax expense makes no sense, if the they had a correct pricing in system (my point once again)

I'm sorry, but this makes no sense to me.

If they employ enough ECOs to process all applications within days rather than weeks at the busy times than they are going to have ECOs with little or no work to do at the quiet times.

How would the correct pricing, whatever that is, change that?

I agree with those who say 3 months is excessive. If arrangements have to be made to return to Thailand it's more likely to be 4 months in total. I understand 7by7s point that they can't have ECOs doing nothing when it's quiet, but I'm not sure when it's 'quiet'. Is it ever quiet? I had assumed that Oct-Jan might be quieter as all the student visas have been dealt with and you would imagine general visitors would prefer to come to the UK between March and September? It appears not to be the case with Settlement Visa processing times appearing to be taking over 10 weeks just now.

Regardless of staffing levels, I personally feel that having paid an £850 application fee, that 3 months is excessive, more so as for many people, it's going to be more like 4 months separation. I know someone who had a UK 6 month Visitor Visa processed and approved in about 7 working days. Whilst it wouldn't be realistic to expect that timescale with a Settlement Visa, 6-8 weeks would be much more palatable.