The Essence Of Being Hi-So

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another one is if you can cause a minivan accident where 8-9 people die without getting into much trouble... you might be able to add a few points to your total score. The 'power' certainly isn't always an illusion.

:)

Neither jealousy or envy, more like disgust at the ability to drive cars with impunity.

Remember the spoiled brat in the Merc that ploughed into a busstop full of people on Suk Rd Bkk.

Lets not forget the kid fleeing in the stolen Porsche that wiped out the poor Laotian girl.

What ever happened to little Miss HiSo driving the Honda Civic in Rangsit?

Hows that Mor Muk case progressing, any updates?

Did any of the above ever spend a night in the cells?

Remember the night club execution from a few years ago?

How can you spot a hi-so from the rest of the population, exactly? The cars they drive? Sorry for saying, but I don't think hi-so's would drive a Honda Civic.

It does seem like jealousy or envy when farangs speak of hi-so's, as if to say "How dare you have more money than me!" Because that does seem to be the farang definition of hi-so, i.e., any Thai who is not dirt poor or looks Thai-Chinese. But wait, farangs also despise poor Thais because they tend to want to fleece farangs and are generally untrustworthy...no? But at least with poor Thais, the farang can look down on them with the personal satisfaction of having more money. Can't do that with rich Thais. Hence the propensity to want to put them down for being so uppity. The Thai folks just can't win.

I have no respect for rich Thai people. Their money stinks of corruption , exploitation , and all sorts of illegal activities .

So you agree that hi-so's are into incest? And you have proof of this, of course....?

In-breeding does not require incest.

There is no place for incest in this forum - have you spoken to Smokie about it?

SC

What are you quacking on about?

Actually difficult to reply because I am sure the maximum number of quotes have been reached!

Come fly with me … come fly, come fly away …

Actually I had to remove a number of quotes because that maximum number of quotes had been reached!

Truly wealthy people are generally ok, it's the wannabe Hi-So showoffs that are annoying. For examples refer to a local women's rag called "Gossip". It's what I read while sitting on the crapper, so I'm privy to the latest trends.

• Like 1

Neither jealousy or envy, more like disgust at the ability to drive cars with impunity.

Remember the spoiled brat in the Merc that ploughed into a busstop full of people on Suk Rd Bkk.

Lets not forget the kid fleeing in the stolen Porsche that wiped out the poor Laotian girl.

How can you spot a hi-so from the rest of the population, exactly? The cars they drive? Sorry for saying, but I don't think hi-so's would drive a Honda Civic.

It does seem like jealousy or envy when farangs speak of hi-so's, as if to say "How dare you have more money than me!" Because that does seem to be the farang definition of hi-so, i.e., any Thai who is not dirt poor or looks Thai-Chinese. But wait, farangs also despise poor Thais because they tend to want to fleece farangs and are generally untrustworthy...no? But at least with poor Thais, the farang can look down on them with the personal satisfaction of having more money. Can't do that with rich Thais. Hence the propensity to want to put them down for being so uppity. The Thai folks just can't win.

I have no respect for rich Thai people. Their money stinks of corruption , exploitation , and all sorts of illegal activities .

I have no respect for poor Thai people. Their money stinks of yaba, gambling , and all sorts of illegal activities.

I am of course joking; I hope you were too

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

Another one is if you can cause a minivan accident where 8-9 people die without getting into much trouble... you might be able to add a few points to your total score. The 'power' certainly isn't always an illusion.

smile.png

One of the joys of being a Bachelor is that you can get to watch a double episode of Star Trek the Next Generation.

Just watched the one where Data has a girlfriend.

And where Warf leaves the Enterprise

• Like 1

Truly wealthy people are generally ok, it's the wannabe Hi-So showoffs that are annoying. For examples refer to a local women's rag called "Gossip". It's what I read while sitting on the crapper, so I'm privy to the latest trends.

...Privy to the latest trends. Sometimes 'like' is not enough, like.

SC

A classic example of pure, unadulterated, in-your-face jealousy of the most retarded kind. Pretty pathetic, really.

• Like 1

smile.png

One of the joys of being a Bachelor is that you can get to watch a double episode of Star Trek the Next Generation.

Just watched the one where Data has a girlfriend.

And where Warf leaves the Enterprise

You can still do the same with a well equipped man cave. Long live TPB.

A classic example of pure, unadulterated, in-your-face jealousy of the most retarded kind. Pretty pathetic, really.

It's one of the side effects of local hospitality. It's easy for foreigners (and surely some locals) to get swept up in the center-of-the-universe 'treated like royalty' 5 star song and dance.... and then the music stops or slows down and you notice that you're shopping at Big C Extra and the only subjects truly in your court are a family from Isan.

I mixed with high - society types for a while, but it was not for me.

Live is a bit like a percolating fractionation column - we find the level suitable for ourselves, which is why I drink in the Soi 7 beer garden

SC

And Carrefour, of course.

EDIT: fractious rather than separatist

Edited by StreetCowboy

thats ok, i am told they dont think much of self righteous muppets on a budget

• Like 1

For me Hi-So is a flavoured state of mind e.g. parfumed by watching Aditya Assarat’s “Hi-So” (2010) movie, or Sofia Coppola’s 2003 movie “Lost In Translation”, or Kohn Kaen fellow farmer Martin Wheeler pushing one of his famous old lowtech Chinese wheelbarrows with or without the use of auxiliary power such as animal traction or the use of wind. Especially Coppola’s movie reminds me of my own very first day in paradise: a Hi-So experience in Bangkok many decades ago when I was travelling all alone in a Hotel minibus from the old international airport Don Muang to the Trang hotel in Bangkok. When we arrived the driver had almost completely lost his mind, felt very angry because of my "stupid" behaviour, simply because I answered all his questions politely with a nonverbal “Yes” but did not hand him over money for the toll roads he’d used. Once at our destination I guess we were both feeling completely lost in translation. The driver found his proper place in life back at the Hotel desk. I was in shock too because of the dirt around me in full daylight. The decision to return as quick as possible back to nature (at that time in Umphang) was an easy one.

And you thai sycophants perfectly fit the definition of the useful idiot .

thats ok, i am told they dont think much of self righteous muppets on a budget

You fool .