Non Immigrant Type "O" Visa For Dependant

Hello everyone,

I know this subject has been talked about but the info I read is very conflicting or old.

Here is my situation:

My husband (55 yrs old American) and I (46 yrs old American) entered Thailand (Chiang Mai) on a tourist visa with multiple entries. Today My husband applied for a retirement visa; he has a new stamp on his passport and must report in 90 days to get the one year retirement visa and let the funds in his bank account mature.

But for me, when we asked to get the same visa as a dependent (spouse), they told me to get the non-immigrant type O visa from abroad, ie; Laos, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, etc.. from the Thai Embassy on the basis of spouse/dependent from someone who has a retirement visa. I would have to show them copies of his passport with updated visa and a marriage affidavit from the American Consulate.

My questions:

Which Thai embassy provides this visa within 2 days - close to Thailand?

What other documents are required besides docs above, my passport and photos?

Anyone out there who had to do this because they are younger than their spouse, and could share the experience?

It all looks daunting.

Thanks in advance for all and any info you can provide.

I suspect you will have to wait until husband has the actual retirement extension of stay - he now only has a non immigrant O visa entry which likely proves nothing to a Consulate. Once he has such an extension of stay you can use copy of his passport with that stamp and your marriage proof to obtain a single entry O visa to extend for the period of his retirement stay and can do each year at same time - he for retirement and you for dependent without need for new visa. For now you may have to depart to obtain a tourist visa entry to tide you over until his retirement extension is received. Most people would use Vientiane/Savannakhet in Laos or KL in Malaysia for visas. All provide next workday issue (apply in morning and pick up next afternoon).

I suspect you will have to wait until husband has the actual retirement extension of stay - he now only has a non immigrant O visa entry which likely proves nothing to a Consulate. Once he has such an extension of stay you can use copy of his passport with that stamp and your marriage proof to obtain a single entry O visa to extend for the period of his retirement stay and can do each year at same time - he for retirement and you for dependent without need for new visa. For now you may have to depart to obtain a tourist visa entry to tide you over until his retirement extension is received. Most people would use Vientiane/Savannakhet in Laos or KL in Malaysia for visas. All provide next workday issue (apply in morning and pick up next afternoon).

Thanks so much for this info. You are right, the stamp in my husband's passport says "non-immigrant O visa"; he must go back to immigration between Jul 6 and Aug 5. Nobody at immigration told me that his new stamp would do no good for me in getting the non-imm O visa, even a lawyer I spoke with while waiting didn't mention this detail....

I came in Chiang Mai with multi entries tourist visa. I would need to either leave the country for a visa-run to renew this tourist visa until hubby's retirement is in the work, or I guess I should extend it for another 30 days. Must be done before June 22.

In your opinion, what is the best approach - logistics and price wise?

I thank you in advance.

G-

As said in PM just get extension of current tourist visa to allow stay until husband gets his retirement extension stamp in early July and then make visa trip to obtain non immigrant O for yourself.

As said in PM just get extension of current tourist visa to allow stay until husband gets his retirement extension stamp in early July and then make visa trip to obtain non immigrant O for yourself.

Thank you Lopburi3. Your expertise is very appreciated!