Yingluck's Flexibility Complicates Return Of The 111: Thai Opinion

webfact

STOPPAGE TIME

Yingluck's flexibility complicates return of the 111

Tulsathit Taptim

The Nation

30181513-01_big.jpg

Few can be more casually philosophical about old waves and new waves than Suwat Liptapanlop.

BANGKOK: -- "People used to point at my son and say, 'Hey, that's Suwat's boy,'" he told a group of reporters. "Now, people are pointing at me and saying, 'Hey, you know who that is? He's Luang's father.'"

Five years of political banishment didn't help. One of the hottest young-blood politicians of his time, he was among the 111 banned from political activities after the coup in 2006. In less than a month from now, they will all be "free". That means they can return to the political rat race if they like, or they can just choose to remain the anonymous fathers or mothers of their children.

We will be hearing a lot of "I'm tired" or "I'm through with it" from many of the 111 in the next few weeks. Just don't underestimate the gravitational pull of the ugly, cut-throat, unfair, soul-destroying world of Thai politics. As the song says: "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave." Thai politicians claiming they want to call it a day are like that girl in the soap opera who is "locked up" at a beach bungalow by a "kidnapper" who she finally can't do without.

Which leaves us the easy job of predicting what kind of political role the big names among the 111 will play after the shackles come off at the end of this month. From our rough surveys, it will feel like old times. Some are openly eyeing ministerial posts, others are timidly eyeing ministerial posts. There are those who are too shy to go straight back to the Cabinet or powerful party positions, and they will warm up with posts like "senior adviser". To the "nominees", it's time to modestly pack up and leave the scene.

Suwat will be very active and can go straight to the Cabinet if a reshuffle takes place. Newin Chidchob, who has been the de facto leader of the Bhumjai Thai Party, will most likely remain so. If Newin returns to the party's helm, it will undercut its chances of reconciliation with Thaksin Shinawatra, who many sources confirm still cannot come to terms with the former's "Sorry, boss, it's over" remark. Moreover, Newin's tussle with Football Association president Worawi Makudee over business interests in the Thai Premier League has become some kind of an obsession.

Apart from Suwat, Chaturon Chaisaeng is expected to join the Cabinet in a hurry, so are Phumtham Wechayachai, Pongsak Rattanapong-paisarn and Warathep Rattanakorn, who has emerged a strong favourite to take the finance portfolio. Incumbent Finance Minister Kittiratt Na Ranong will likely keep his other position of deputy prime minister.

A key man in Thaksin's think tank, Prommin Lertsuridej, has rubbished reports that he will join the Cabinet. Another wait-and-see figure is Sudarat Keyuraphan, and understandably so since she was once tipped to be Thailand's first female prime minister. Sources close to her say that Sudarat has a lot of thinking to do but will still work for the ruling party.

Who may have to pack up soon, willingly or unwillingly? Recent reports name Deputy Prime Minister Yuthasak Sasiprapha, Culture Minister Sukamol Khun-preum, Justice Minister Pracha Prom-nok, and Education Minister Suchart Thada-damrongvej.

Dust will swirl around Yingluck Shinawatra, whose amazing flexibility, or so it seems, has become a key factor in light of the return of the 111 politicians. There had been fears she would verbally slip into political demise but the opposite appears to be happening. The more she mixes up the names of places or the positions of global leaders, the higher her rating jumps. After nine months, Yingluck has proved to be the only politician who can brush aside questions about charter amendment and amnesty with a mere smile or single response of "Let Parliament take care of that."

Many of the 111 politicians must have hoped they would arrive on white horses when Yingluck was on her knees facing executioners. Others must have dreamed that her vulnerability would increase their leverage. Instead, at this moment, they will need her rather than vice versa.

Things can change quickly, though. An opinion poll over the weekend shows very intriguing results. Yingluck is the most popular Cabinet member, of course, but 90 per cent of people surveyed insisted that the rising cost of living is very real, not a hallucinatory effect of Thailand's ultra-hot summer. Whether Yingluck is actually saying that Thais are imagining things is up to your interpretation of her characteristically debatable remarks, but the consumer price index doesn't need to be interpreted.

It remains a fairy-tale for Yingluck, particularly when voices representing the poor - or claiming to represent the poor - are very understanding about rising prices. It may take a while for the 111 political returnees to adapt to the new political surroundings. They usually thrived in nightmares, so they may just bide their time and hope that one will occur very soon.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-05-09

Tell you what, Yingluck is starting to look pretty knackered - wonder when the grey hair will start to show!!

Would someone, anyone, tell me what the above has to do with the topic? Nothing of course. It is a typical Thai Visa bash Yingluck post. No rhyme no reason.

The more Yingluck mixes up the names of places or the positions of global leaders, the higher her rating jumps.

The lady is brilliant. And rich. And is the PM of Thailand. What the heck are you?

• Like 2

Tell you what, Yingluck is starting to look pretty knackered - wonder when the grey hair will start to show!!

Would someone, anyone, tell me what the above has to do with the topic? Nothing of course. It is a typical Thai Visa bash Yingluck post. No rhyme no reason.

The more Yingluck mixes up the names of places or the positions of global leaders, the higher her rating jumps.

The lady is brilliant. And rich. And is the PM of Thailand. What the heck are you?

free loaders and cheap charlies...and those who just hammer at whatever just as hammers do...beatdeadhorse.gif

I'm not sure if you noticed, but that's Yingluck in the picture in the OP, and the OP title starts with "Yingluck". There is also a sentence in the OP:

We will be hearing a lot of "I'm tired"

Interestingly, there is nothing in the OP about Yingluck mixing up names of places or positions of leaders.

Once again, you're sending a thread O/T.

I'm not sure if you noticed, but that's Yingluck in the picture in the OP, and the OP title starts with "Yingluck". There is also a sentence in the OP:

Interestingly, there is nothing in the OP about Yingluck mixing up names of places or positions of leaders.

What does Yingluck's being knackered or having gray hair have to do with complicating the return of the 111?

Simple question. Tis not I off topic. It is you.

What does Yingluck's being knackered or having gray hair have to do with complicating the return of the 111?

Simple question. Tis not I off topic. It is you.

Simple question. Besides a bit of Yingluk sycophancy, what do your 2 posts contain that are on-topic?

It is on topic to tell a poster he is off topic if he is.

Consider yourself told.

I told a poster, "Tell you what, Yingluck is starting to look pretty knackered - wonder when the grey hair will start to show!!" was off topic.

I am not off topic. You are .

Part of the topic is about how the proxy stand-in nominees like the daughter-in-law of a Bang Saen mafia don, Culture Minister Sukomol

culture-minister-sukumol.jpg

will step down from her position so that her husband, banned former Thai Rak Thai cabinet minister in Thaksin's administration and son of a Bang Saen mafia don, Sonthaya, can take it over once his banning period has been completed.

Edited by Buchholz