Late Dual Citizenship - Military Service Problem

lifedrainer

Hi folks,

I seem to have a problem obtaining a document for work. It's the Sor Dor 43 or 9...

The fact is, I'm half-belgian and I got my thai nationality at the age of 25. I then applied for a new job which required the military service documents.

Since I hadn't done it, I went to my amphur and let some money fall on a table... they then gave me a document (with my thumb stamp on it) but not the Sor Dor 43. It seems they can't give me that document.

The company has never seen a case like that and they keep on asking for a document I can't obtain. At the amphur, they said since I got my thai citizenship after my belgian one, I can't get Sor Dor 43 but they will produce a new type of document, for my special case.

Has anyone met these difficultlies ?

Please let me know/advise me if there's a way to get around this...

Thanks a lot

I think you have to get an exemption document from the army draft board. If you are now over 30, this should be quite easy, since you are no longer eligible for conscription. If you are under 30, it may be more difficult and cost some money. Alternatively you could see another side of life and join up. They love to have Thais with special language skills that can help with teaching or liaison with foreign militaries and would probably give you a soft job after basic training. If you volunteer I think you only need to serve six months.

Samran knows about this, as he went through the process of getting an exemption as an over 30 year old.

Edited by Arkady

I think you have to get an exemption document from the army draft board. If you are now over 30, this should be quite easy, since you are no longer eligible for conscription. If you are under 30, it may be more difficult and cost some money. Alternatively you could see another side of life and join up. They love to have Thais with special language skills that can help with teaching or liaison with foreign militaries and would probably give you a soft job after basic training. If you volunteer I think you only need to serve six months.

Samran knows about this, as he went through the process of getting an exemption as an over 30 year old.

5 years ago, the prospect would have tempted me but now I just need that document for a job which interview I aced (oh this is not a real verb) ^^

I'm 29 and the clock is ticking.... birthday on 19 July but I had to pay (15 000) already. The thing is that they can't give me that document because I didn't do the Lor Dor.

I'll be given a special document which I'm afraid the company will look at with doubtful eyes!

5 years ago, the prospect would have tempted me but now I just need that document for a job which interview I aced (oh this is not a real verb) ^^

I'm 29 and the clock is ticking.... birthday on 19 July but I had to pay (15 000) already. The thing is that they can't give me that document because I didn't do the Lor Dor.

I'll be given a special document which I'm afraid the company will look at with doubtful eyes!

You have put yourself in a position where you are getting ripped off for nothing. You shouldn't be looking for a lor dor exemption!!!

The rules are very clear, in the year you turn 30 you become exempt from military service. That sounds like you.

The authorities couldn't conscript you if they tried.

They'll give you a release letter, and a certificate, the code of which I can't remember.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

See this link above where I have scanned my exemption letter and the laws which allow for exemptions for those over 30.

And some more info on previous threads.

Edited by samran

The thing is I'm 30 on July 19th... which makes the whole situation different! But when you say 'in the year' I feel uneasy about it.

This is quite a hateful thing though, knowing that this military service thing will be terminated soon and that those corrupted military officers will now have to do some real work...

Plus they told me that the rule for the people over 30 years old isn't really applicable. I was under the tabien baan but I simply never registered for anything and I always used my Belgian passport for everything.

No receipt of course, this was asking for their help...

The thing is I'm 30 on July 19th... which makes the whole situation different! But when you say 'in the year' I feel uneasy about it.

This is quite a hateful thing though, knowing that this military service thing will be terminated soon and that those corrupted military officers will now have to do some real work...

Plus they told me that the rule for the people over 30 years old isn't really applicable. I was under the tabien baan but I simply never registered for anything and I always used my Belgian passport for everything.

No receipt of course, this was asking for their help...

There is nothing to feel uneasy about. The rules are clear: 'in the year one turns 30' you become exempted. You've been in the clear since the 1st of January.

That scan is my official exemption letter, and if you can read Thai, it quotes the relevant section of the Military Conscription Act where it says those turning 30 are exempt.

I have my certificate too, but can't post it at the moment.

Situation is similar to me, I have US and Thai citizenship but both I my parents are Thai. I was born and raised in the US, so I never completed my military service as I was still in school there.

However my parents had "connections" and was able to obtain exemption status for me.

I recently moved back and applied for work, however my employer has never requested a Sor Dor 43 from me.

Edited by arkom

Be careful when you get to Pattani.

This is helpful, my friend... is there anything else you know about this issue ?

I applogize.

I really thought you had relatives here in Thailand, since you are dual.

Surely your relatives can inform you about how to proceed.

So how much and what do you have to do for your child to dodge the draft if you do not want him to enter the elite thai military programs once he hits the age of conscription....

Lor Dor if you plan ahead, full-time university student when the time comes, leave Thailand and come back after they're 30 when all else fails, etc.

If you really plan ahead, only have girls. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Well....how long is the window open for conscription...from xx age to xx age.

My boy is 10 and he is not in the Thai system yet.....he is on a vely long overstay thus far.

I've posted the complete set of rules above in a link. Suggest you sit down with your better half to read them.

How is your son on overstay?

My boy is 10 and he is not in the Thai system yet.....he is on a vely long overstay thus far.

I've posted the complete set of rules above in a link. Suggest you sit down with your better half to read them.

Tourist visa when he arrived here at 9 months old......gone n came back several times on same same.

Tourist visa when he arrived here at 9 months old......gone n came back several times on same same.

That strategy is going to stop working in his teens at some point.

Appeared for the first time on my family's main house registry at age 21 or 22. No conscription letter ever came, and I certainly didn't go asking for one. 37 now so I'm assuming I'll never spend a day in uniform.

:)

Appeared for the first time on my family's main house registry at age 21 or 22. No conscription letter ever came, and I certainly didn't go asking for one. 37 now so I'm assuming I'll never spend a day in uniform.

smile.png

Not even a Nurses'

I know...15 I think when he reaches the age they start to enforce the overstay age I think it is.

So thats why thinking about it now....he could stay on a visa for family, or a student....but thats all problematic with visas and whats required.

I would prefer him to become Thai now, but will not do that before I know the option re military as no way I will let him do that, not in this country to be sent to the front line to practice, while Generals kiddies sit in front of the telly watching it.

I know...15 I think when he reaches the age they start to enforce the overstay age I think it is.

So thats why thinking about it now....he could stay on a visa for family, or a student....but thats all problematic with visas and whats required.

I would prefer him to become Thai now, but will not do that before I know the option re military as no way I will let him do that, not in this country to be sent to the front line to practice, while Generals kiddies sit in front of the telly watching it.

People have mentioned 'lor dor' which is essentially 3 years of cadets at high school. That will get him out go it, but he'll need his Thai ID sorted so that can count towards his obligations.

Essentially involves an afternoon a week or something getting out of school to much around with stuff boys tend to not mind anyway.

Edited by samran

But isn't it easier to just pay the fee ??

Why? Your son will probably thank you that he can skive off school.

More seriously though, my advice on living successfully in Thailand is that if there are rules, follow them. Most of them aren't actually onerous. Bascially you are talking about a bribe.

As we can see, the OP has dropped 15K, all for nothing. So that wasn't 'easy'.

The more you give, the more they want.

All I can say is he's dropped a chunk of cash and gotten zilch. I followed the rules, paid a legit 200 baht fine and got the piece of paper he can't seem to get.

Know the rules. Know how to get around them legally, and your life is much happier.

Edited by samran