Using A Vpn With Your Home Wifi

HLover

"I would like to set up a VPN with my 3BB internet."

To what end?

If you just want a private network between two or more of your own computers then Hamachi will indeed do the trick for free.

If you want a VPN so that you can appear to be in another country (for downloading TV programmes for example) then you would need something very different, unless one of your PCs happened to be in that foreign country.

To what end?

Actually given the intentionally ambiguous nature of the Computer Crimes Act here, it's probably best not to get into specific reasons for using such techniques. As with most tools, they can be used for good or bad, or good things that bad people think are bad if you see what I mean.

In any case the links I posted give a variety of scenarios with starting points on each.

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

"I would like to set up a VPN with my 3BB internet."

To what end?

If you just want a private network between two or more of your own computers then Hamachi will indeed do the trick for free.

If you want a VPN so that you can appear to be in another country (for downloading TV programmes for example) then you would need something very different, unless one of your PCs happened to be in that foreign country.

I would like to download programmes from USA and England. Do not know how to go about setting up VPN or what is needed.

Enlighten me, please, large yellow fellow.

Thanks in advance.

Don't think I'm infringing any local laws by saying that in order to download from sources like BBC iPlayer or Hulu etc you would need a VPN that has servers in the countries in which you are interested.

I suspect that many people here bypass that step altogether and use Bittorrent or Usenet. These require no VPN.

Personally I use ACEVPN which is cheap enough and works well for me to the UK and USA. Others are available. The link provided earlier is quite helpful and Googling Bittorrent and Usenet should also be informative.

I use StrongVPN...very easy to setup on your computer. If you use the VPN protocol called PPTP VPN like I do, it's just a matter of entering some setup info into Windows....no VPN software to download/install/use. And some service providers like StrongVPN also include protocols SSTP and L2TP with their PPTP service...I find the SSTP to be faster than PPTP and L2TP has the highest encryption level...but whether you can use either of these two depends on the servers you connect to and what operating system you are running. I use Windows and normally use the SSTP (only works on Windows systems) since it's a little faster than PPTP....and as mentioned L2TP is highly encrypted but can be slow due to the encryption method used.

If you use the OpenVPN protocol there is some software to download/install/use but it's pretty easy to do. You may want to go to this StrongVPN page and review the PPTP VPN Setup Tutorial...just mimic making the entries/changes into Windows...this should show you how easy it is. Also other tutorials at StrongVPN which provides info on what VPN is.

Then there is also a method to change the settings in your router to provide a VPN connection but whether you can do that or not depends on the router you got and sometimes it can be kinda cryptic in how to do the setup. But this method also can provide a VPN connection all the time which some people may want....but it would slow down your internet access for access to in-Thailand web sites and some other international web sites because your connection will be limited to whatever speed your VPN connection can provide which is probably going to be around 2Mb.

I prefer the method where you setup VPN using Windows...that way you can turn off or on the VPN connection in just a few seconds...use it only when you need it like I do.

But regardless of what VPN protocol/method you chose to use, you will first need to sign-up with a VPN service like StrongVPN. It's kinda like using the internet, first you have to sign-up with an internet service provider. You can sign-up to some VPN service providers for free if you get lucky as some offer free accounts, but most VPN service providers will charge a fee. As mentioned, I use the StrongVPN service and signed up for their $55/year PPTP plan which provides a US and/or UK IP address. They have lots of various package by the month, quarter, year and IP addresses for various countries...same for many other VPN providers. Good luck.

• Like 1

I use StrongVPN...very easy to setup on your computer.

Also a StrongVPN subscriber and as mentioned pretty easy to setup and they have tutorials on their site explaining it. Not just on my Win7 system but also have it setup on my Android phone. Believe most smartphones/tablets now, Android or Apple - perhaps Nokia, will have VPN capability to connect to a service.

Thank you for the replies. The VPN is for streaming music from a site that requires a US based computer network.

Any added help or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks but not interested in bitorrents or downloading the actual song; just streaming.

To what end?

Actually given the intentionally ambiguous nature of the Computer Crimes Act here, it's probably best not to get into specific reasons for using such techniques. As with most tools, they can be used for good or bad, or good things that bad people think are bad if you see what I mean.

In any case the links I posted give a variety of scenarios with starting points on each.

Edited by HLover

Thank you for the replies. The VPN is for streaming music from a site that requires a US based computer network.

Any added help or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks but not interested in bitorrents or downloading the actual song; just streaming.

To what end?

I have had luck using ProXPN in a couple countries. There's a free and paid version. Free just bugs you sometimes to upgrade. You'll typically get an IP from Miami and the throughput isn't terrible.

I have also heard good things about StrongVPN.