Irish Long Stay Visa

I would like to know if any Irish citizen on TV applied for a long stay visa

for a Thai partner (not married) to live in Ireland 1/2 years.

And if they were successful or not.

Any advice would very much be apperciated

Pat

Edited by newbepat

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi newbepat.... i have researched this issue a lot. Ireland has no visa that will allow an unmarried spouse requiring a visa to live in Ireland for that period of time. You can apply for a tourist visa which will give you 3 months but the 3 months is up to the discretion of the Immigration official at the airport. Also note that for a tourist visa you will need you will need a lot of supporting paper work, proof of relationship, finances, reason for her to return to Thailand, her bank account details etc. You can also apply for a fiancée visa but again similar to the tourist and she must return to Thailand when the visa expires. I believe this is also 90 days and again plenty of paper work etc. Spouse Visa is only for people who are married.

hi newbepat.... i have researched this issue a lot. Ireland has no visa that will allow an unmarried spouse requiring a visa to live in Ireland for that period of time. You can apply for a tourist visa which will give you 3 months but the 3 months is up to the discretion of the Immigration official at the airport. Also note that for a tourist visa you will need you will need a lot of supporting paper work, proof of relationship, finances, reason for her to return to Thailand, her bank account details etc. You can also apply for a fiancée visa but again similar to the tourist and she must return to Thailand when the visa expires. I believe this is also 90 days and again plenty of paper work etc. Spouse Visa is only for people who are married.

sorry to add to that......spouse visa or D visa is quoted as a visa for spouse, partner or joining family member.....for a long stay.....as your gf is Thai i would scrap partner......they will not approve a visa for a Thai partner like that....for a d visa irish immigration would be only looking at approving a d visa for a spouse.

I have been researching this for many months and sorry to say mate...you got no chance :( I have checked into every visa known to man here in Ireland and unless you are married to her she just will not get in unless you can prove beyond a doubt that you know her at least 2 years with emails,call logs,Facebook screenshots etc. she will also need to prove she has good reason to go back so needs her own house and money in the bank and a job willing to take her back and give her a letter to prove it.

I am due to marry my TGF in September and couldnt even get her over for a holiday. Even after marriage it's not 100% and will take anything from a few weeks to a few months to get her visa even then.

It's bullshit here not to be able to get an intent to marry visa and student visas are a total no go for a Thai believe me I have tried.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been researching this for many months and sorry to say mate...you got no chance sad.png I have checked into every visa known to man here in Ireland and unless you are married to her she just will not get in unless you can prove beyond a doubt that you know her at least 2 years with emails,call logs,Facebook screenshots etc. she will also need to prove she has good reason to go back so needs her own house and money in the bank and a job willing to take her back and give her a letter to prove it.

I am due to marry my TGF in September and couldnt even get her over for a holiday. Even after marriage it's not 100% and will take anything from a few weeks to a few months to get her visa even then.

It's bullshit here not to be able to get an intent to marry visa and student visas are a total no go for a Thai believe me I have tried.

You have me worried now, I have just come back from the Irish consulate in BKK and I have jumped through hoops trying to get them enough information to get my 14 month Thai GF a short term holiday visa, now you say we have to have been together 2 years.... I do agree with you and after having spoken to the ( very nice & helpful ) girls at the consulate that there is not a hope in hell of getting a long term visa for a first visa.

For your information, I drove to BKK from Pattaya the first day with the paper work they recommended on the Irish Embassy website, the girls there told me that was nowhere enough and wouldn’t even entertain passing the application onto the Embassy in Malaysia. So a trip home to Patts, pick up all this and back to BKK the next day.

Here is what she recommended we supply:

A completed on line application form for a Single Entry Short Stay Holiday visa, they told me they will not consider any other type for a first time visitor.

A scanned and signed copy of her passport

A scanned and signed copy of my Irish passport

A letter of invitation stating where she would be staying and contact details, the also wanted me to put in an explanation about our relationship, this was to be in more detail than 'we have been living together for 14 months', they were looking for more details like where we met, how much money I give her every month, what she does for a living etc., seemed to me you could not put enough information on this letter.

A certified translation of any property she might own, I our case this was just two mopeds.

A certified translation of her Thai family’s house book.

A certified translation of the house book of any of her family members who may be registered to the same house. ( This they explained was to help prove that she had family members back here in Thailand and she would therefore want to return to them and not out stay her visa.

A copy of the receipt from the company that carried out these certified translations.

A copy of a full years bank statements, both hers and mine, also highlighting any transfers I made to her account.

Any bills etc which may have her name on it as proof that we had been living together.

A copy of our property lease which luckily had her name on it.

A copy of the return flight booking within the dates we applied for, ( They said a booking and not an actual ticket would suffice so the translation agent was able to pre-book a flight for us for a minimum cost only 200 baht I think

And finally the visa fee which had to be paid in person anyway so you do have to make a trip to the Consulate

( The did also allow me to email some documents’ after our second visit )

<deleted> I mean what Irish man wouldn't want to bring his probable future wife over to meet his Ma before he marry's her wub.png

Yes she will need a letter from her employer (is she in normal employment not bar girl )? Bg won't have a chance in hell :(

The letter needs to state how long she worked how much she earns and a guarantee that she can have the time off and a job to come back to.

Edited by irlguy1

I have been researching this for many months and sorry to say mate...you got no chance sad.png I have checked into every visa known to man here in Ireland and unless you are married to her she just will not get in unless you can prove beyond a doubt that you know her at least 2 years with emails,call logs,Facebook screenshots etc. she will also need to prove she has good reason to go back so needs her own house and money in the bank and a job willing to take her back and give her a letter to prove it.

You have me worried now, I have just come back from the Irish consulate in BKK and I have jumped through hoops trying to get them enough information to get my 14 month Thai GF a short term holiday visa, now you say we have to have been together 2 years.... I do agree with you and after having spoken to the ( very nice & helpful ) girls at the consulate that there is not a hope in hell of getting a long term visa for a first visa.

For your information, I drove to BKK from Pattaya the first day with the paper work they recommended on the Irish Embassy website, the girls there told me that was nowhere enough and wouldn’t even entertain passing the application onto the Embassy in Malaysia. So a trip home to Patts, pick up all this and back to BKK the next day.

A completed on line application form for a Single Entry Short Stay Holiday visa, they told me they will not consider any other type for a first time visitor.

A letter of invitation stating where she would be staying and contact details, the also wanted me to put in an explanation about our relationship, this was to be in more detail than 'we have been living together for 14 months', they were looking for more details like where we met, how much money I give her every month, what she does for a living etc., seemed to me you could not put enough information on this letter.

A certified translation of any property she might own, I our case this was just two mopeds.

A certified translation of the house book of any of her family members who may be registered to the same house. ( This they explained was to help prove that she had family members back here in Thailand and she would therefore want to return to them and not out stay her visa.

A copy of the receipt from the company that carried out these certified translations.

A copy of a full years bank statements, both hers and mine, also highlighting any transfers I made to her account.

Any bills etc which may have her name on it as proof that we had been living together.

A copy of the return flight booking within the dates we applied for, ( They said a booking and not an actual ticket would suffice so the translation agent was able to pre-book a flight for us for a minimum cost only 200 baht I think

And finally the visa fee which had to be paid in person anyway so you do have to make a trip to the Consulate

<deleted> I mean what Irish man wouldn't want to bring his probable future wife over to meet his Ma before he marry's her wub.png

Diggerdo.....I actually believe you have a very good chance of receiving your visa. The fact you are clearly in a relationship with your GF (you have been living together for the past 14 months) will go a great deal towards there decision. Its the people who live in Ireland and have a Thai GF in Thailand that dont get there visas bc they cant prove a relationship that is real ie....sitting in front of a pc chatting 6 hours per day doesn't cut it.....and that's officially stated on the Irish Immigration Website.

Irishguy........he never mentioned BG........so why bring it up......its a stereotype that in many cases is just not true.....from what it sounds he is in a steady fully committed relationship with his GF.....

Please let us know how it goes......and yes the bkk staff are very helpful as is the staff in the Phuket offices too.

• Like 1

Diggerdo.....I actually believe you have a very good chance of receiving your visa. The fact you are clearly in a relationship with your GF (you have been living together for the past 14 months) will go a great deal towards there decision. Its the people who live in Ireland and have a Thai GF in Thailand that dont get there visas bc they cant prove a relationship that is real ie....sitting in front of a pc chatting 6 hours per day doesn't cut it.....and that's officially stated on the Irish Immigration Website.

Irishguy........he never mentioned BG........so why bring it up......its a stereotype that in many cases is just not true.....from what it sounds he is in a steady fully committed relationship with his GF.....

Please let us know how it goes......and yes the bkk staff are very helpful as is the staff in the Phuket offices too.

It may be a stereotype but it's a highly probable one. I bring it up because the Op needs to know all the information.

If she is not a BG then what's your problem. Actually if she is a BG what's your problem?

I have as much right and a lot more knowledge and experience then many people on this topic considering I am in the extreme minority of Irish men on this forum or in Thailand for that matter.

I wish the OP all the luck of the Irish but from my experience and study of this subject from an Irish point of view I am letting him know what I have learned from months of research and conversations with the consulate and Thai and Irish experts.

I also have several friends in Thailand both living and visiting that have been talking to expats.

What exactly are you basing your over confidence on?

Did you bring a Thai gf to Ireland ?

For your information, I drove to BKK from Pattaya the first day with the paper work they recommended on the Irish Embassy website, the girls there told me that was nowhere enough and wouldn't even entertain passing the application onto the Embassy in Malaysia. So a trip home to Patts, pick up all this and back to BKK the next day.

A certified translation of her Thai family's house book.

( The did also allow me to email some documents' after our second visit )

It may be a stereotype but it's a highly probable one. I bring it up because the Op needs to know all the information.

If she is not a BG then what's your problem. Actually if she is a BG what's your problem?

I have as much right and a lot more knowledge and experience then many people on this topic considering I am in the extreme minority of Irish men on this forum or in Thailand for that matter.

I wish the OP all the luck of the Irish but from my experience and study of this subject from an Irish point of view I am letting him know what I have learned from months of research and conversations with the consulate and Thai and Irish experts.

I also have several friends in Thailand both living and visiting that have been talking to expats.

What exactly are you basing your over confidence on?

Did you bring a Thai gf to Ireland ?

Firstly Irishguy what's with the extremely defensive nature of your post. As the few Irish people on this site lets share information rather than jump down peoples throats. The idea that the OP is has been living with a BG GF for 14 months is highly unlikely....I mean come on.....he hardly sits at home while she dollls herself up for a night pimping herself out.......thats just clearly not the case. And to be honest its pretty obvious that its not the case. And for the record there is nothing wrong with bar girls I personally just stay away from them.

As for me. Yes I have visited Ireland on 2 occasions with my Thai GF.(the same one btw lol). 2 applications no refusals. The reason being was that I satisfied the Irish authorities in relation to our relationship. So here is the low down. When filling out an application for a short stay visa (holiday visa) you need to ask yourself a few questions. If you can objectively answer them in the positive (and can back them up with paperwork) then you more than likely will receive a visa.

1. What the purpose of her visit?

2. Does she have the means to support herself (in the case you are going to support, do you have the means)

3. Does she have an incentive to return to Thailand after her holiday (a job, property, cars, etc etc etc). I might add that a child will not count as we all know in Thailand its not unusual for the mother to work thousands of miles away and support her child while her parents raise the child.

In my case i have been living in Thailand for a few years and just like the OP have been co-habituating together for all of it. My life is clearly here and we both have good jobs, own property and can clearly demonstrate a positive answer to the above questions. I feel from what the OP has stated that he is in that bracket too. But lets be honest here......if you are an immigration officer granting visas's and you dont see the reason for the person to return to Thailand you wont grant a visa. and thats the real bottom line. I mean look at it from this point of view if you were an immigration officer and an application came in front of you from a girl who had no job, no property, lived at home with her mother and father, would you honestly grant them a visa......the answer 90% of the time is .....no way.....but this phenomenon isn't a new one....its not so long ago the same standards were being enforced by US immigration on Irish people wanting to apply for tourist visas before the waiver program took affect.

Anyhow I have rambled on way to long.....Irishguy......certainly not arguing with you....you have every right to add to the conversation and I was never saying that you didnt....I believe forums should be open for whatever needs to be said.....

• Like 1

Gents....first I was not the OP, a fella by the name of Pat opened with a question about a long stay visa, which I think we all are in agreement is an impossibility.

This page / topic appears to be the only one I could find using the TV search which deals with Irish holiday visas & Thai GFs as opposed to spouses, this is important as I am sure the application will be regarded differently, and the info we put on here should be able to help other fella's in the same boat as ourselves.

The discussion about BG or not ( regardless of my own circumstances ) is also important and even if its a bit taboo it should be discussed, in my opinion if my GF was / had been a BG I dont think I would mention it on the application.

My problem is that my GF does not / has not worked since we met, she looks after me whistling.gif , I am hoping this is not going to be an issue as I belive I have provided enough proof to the Consulate to prove that I have been sponsoring her over this period.

We do appear to have a wealth of knowledge (and opinions) between us on here and we all appear to be in reasonable similiar circumstances so I say keep the advice coming.

CiaranO : they actually told me at the consulate that the more times the GF visits the easier it becomes to get the next visa as she has proven that she is not a risk for overstaying her visa so I guess you are in an envieable position, I get the impression the first hurdle is the hardest

I have just seen a post on a UK visa topic and a poster reckoned an Irish pal of his has just gotten his holiday romance / internet GF an Irish visa with very little difficulty

Edited by diggerdo

Hi there,

You are better off to get married first before coming here to Ireland, tourist visas require you to show large bank statements etc and are in my own experience of the Thai community here prone to failure on occasions. You will also only get 3 months max and in that case your own financial situation would want to be very good indeed. If she wants to stay beyond that she would need to register with local immigration.

However Ireland does a small Thai community and I could see your point in having her here for a while to see if she likes it. Check out the Thai Ireland community website, they do sterling work. She could easily get bored here. Definitely she would have to be able to or be willing to learn English.

Best of luck, been through it all before.

We process a lot of C/D Visa applications & have never been declined an Irish Visa.

As with all visit visa applications you must demonstrate on balance she will return.

That makes two of us as I have never been declined an Irish Visa either cheesy.gif

Hopefully it wont happen with this my first application either.

When you say you have never been declined I am courious to know how many applications you have made as that would give good indication of the approval process.

If I fail with this attempt I most likely may call on your assistance.

Sorry if it came across as overly defensive but I know 2 guys living in pattaya with there girlfriends while the girls still work bar. It's not unheard of at all. At the end of the day they worked bar before they met the guys and both knew what they did for a living. If they don't have a problem with it why should anyone else? I guess I just got a bit peed off that you seemed to dismiss what I mentioned even though you were as unwise as I about the nature of his relationship as he had neither denied or clarified her job status.

For the record he just mentioned that she does not work which in my opinion will also be a very big nail in a visa coffin.

Anyway your right we gotta stick together so big hugs all round 555

Sorry if it came across as overly defensive but I know 2 guys living in pattaya with there girlfriends while the girls still work bar. It's not unheard of at all. At the end of the day they worked bar before they met the guys and both knew what they did for a living. If they don't have a problem with it why should anyone else? I guess I just got a bit peed off that you seemed to dismiss what I mentioned even though you were as unwise as I about the nature of his relationship as he had neither denied or clarified her job status.

For the record he just mentioned that she does not work which in my opinion will also be a very big nail in a visa coffin.

Irishguy and diggerdo......where do you hail from? Im a former Athlone man myself.....now in sunny phuket.....a bit of a difference lol

We process a lot of C/D Visa applications & have never been declined an Irish Visa.

As with all visit visa applications you must demonstrate on balance she will return.

That makes two of us as I have never been declined an Irish Visa either cheesy.gif

When you say you have never been declined I am courious to know how many applications you have made as that would give good indication of the approval process.

We received two back yesterday both D-Visas :

1. BO/Join parent child D Visa/ Mother spouse of an Irish citizen

The two applicants are travelling together to Ireland processing time was 16 weeks in total. we process around 70/100 visa applications per year & in 2012 this is the seventh Irish application. We don't have records going back to 2006 so I would think in excess of 50 applications. All our Irish visas are taken on the basis of no win no professional fees just a 5000 baht deposit.

Good luck with your application for entry clearance to Ireland.

The two applicants are travelling together to Ireland processing time was 16 weeks in total. we process around 70/100 visa applications per year & in 2012 this is the seventh Irish application. We don't have records going back to 2006 so I would think in excess of 50 applications. All our Irish visas are taken on the basis of no win no professional fees just a 5000 baht deposit.

Spouse of Irish citizen is the clincher in your post mate. He is not the spouse if he was this would be a whole lot easier

Irishguy and diggerdo......where do you hail from? Im a former Athlone man myself.....now in sunny phuket.....a bit of a difference lol

Dublin man here and believe it or not we have sun at the moment :)

Dublin man here and believe it or not we have sun at the moment smile.png

From the land of the strawberries meself, the heart of Wexford, now living just outside Pattaya, must say you cant beat Ireland in the sunshine, unfortunately there's just not enough of it sad.png ( A big cool pint a guinness in a sunny beer garden would be grand )

Thanks for the info, the 16 weeks processing time is worth knowing, I guess I now know not to worry too much until after that time frame, if we get turned down this time I don't know what else to do short of marrying her and after going through an expensive divorce ( with a westerner ) a few years ago that is not a route I really want to go down again ..so like I said if we fail I will be in touch, I will also keep you all updated on here regarding any further devlopments

Edited by diggerdo

pleasure to meet you gentlemen.....yes I hear the weather has been its usual May self in Ireland....beautiful......diggerdo...i have given up on the Guinness here....one to many bad pints......lol

Found this on the INIS website, it may or may not help :

De Facto Relationships

All non-EEA nationals need permission to remain in the State. Permission to remain will be in the form of an endorsement in your passport confirming the conditions and period of time for which you have permission to remain in the State.

De Facto Relationships with an Irish National

Non EEA nationals who wish to remain the State and are in a de facto relationship with an Irish National must be in a position to provide evidence of a durable attested relationship of at least 2 years. The following documents must be provided to General Immigration, INIS, 13-14 Burgh Quay, Dublin 2

• Copies of current passports of both parties.
  • Evidence of finances of both parties
  • Evidence of relationship of at least 2 years duration (i.e. tenancy agreement, utility bills, bank statements, etc)

Subject to the immigration status of the non EEA national permission to remain may granted. This permission will exempt the non EEA National form work permit condition.

The above is not an exhaustive list, and you may be asked for additional documentation in support of your application

De Facto Relationship with non EEA National

Non EEA nationals who wish to remain the State and are in a de-facto relationship with a non EEA national must be in a position to provide evidence of a durable attested relationship of at least 4 years. The following documents must be provided to their General Immigration, INIS, 13-14 Burgh Quay, Dublin 2.

• Copies of current passports of both parties.
  • Evidence of finances of both parties
  • Evidence of relationship of at least 4 years duration (i.e. tenancy agreement, utility bills, bank statements, etc)
  • History of activities of both parties in the State

Subject to the immigration status of the non EEA national applicant permission to remain may granted.

Should permission to remain be granted on this basis, it does not exempt the person from work permit requirements. In order to take up employment in the State, the non EEA national must be in possession of a valid work permit/green card.

When applying for a work permit/Green Card permit to the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Innovation the non-EEA national must enclose the letter issued by the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service confirming the immigration status based on the partnership.

The above is not an exhaustive list, and you may be asked for additional documentation in support of your application.

What can I do if I have an existing Deportation Order?

Applications from persons with an existing Deportation Order will not be considered. Any applicant who is the subject of a Deportation Order and who wishes to make an application for revocation of the Deportation Order on the basis of their relationship to an Irish national or a non-EEA national, pursuant to Section 3(11) of the Immigration Act, 1999, should send their application to the Repatriation Section at the address below.

Acknowledgement Unit,

Repatriation Section,

Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service,

13-14 Burgh Quay,

Dublin 2.

How long will it take to process the application?

Applications can take up to 12 months to process. Applications are dealt with in strict chronological order of receipt.

Can I enter employment while my application is in process?

No. An applicant has no entitlement to enter employment during the application process without the requirement of a Work Permit issued by the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Innovation.

How can I contact the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service regarding the status of my application?

Queries can be made by post. Contact details are listed below.

De Facto Applications,

3rd Floor,

Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service,

13-14 Burgh Quay,

Dublin 2.

What happens if my application is approved?

Successful applicants may be granted permission to reside in the State for an initial period of 12 months.

The applicant and his/her Irish national or non- EEA national partner will be required to attend at their local Registration Office to be registered as resident in the State on the basis of being the partner of an Irish National or a non-EEA national.

Details in respect of registration and renewal of registration will be provided in correspondence issued by the Defacto Section.

What are the conditions of my permission granted?

The permission is granted on the basis of genuine evidence of a valid and genuine relationship.

Any misinformation given during the application process will result in the application being refused.

Applicants must be of good character and be in compliance with Irish Law.

There are no rights of retention of residence in the event of separation.

Successful applicants do not have an automatic right to family reunification

Edited by 7by7
Link inserted. When quoting from other websites, please link to them.

Heard of 1,000 signatures on a letter from an MP to UKBA boss to support a Thai woman who's child is in the UK to a Brit husband who's visa was refused as she had had too many tourist visas (and the husband was in process of divorcing his brit wife). It worked and she got in again on a tourist visa and later commonlaw wife visa (cant rememebr the name of it).

They are very happy now. Thing is, he is a millionaire and they still didnt allow at first! Crazy. She used to be HR manager at Nike Bangkok!!!!!

Has anyone ever heard of family or friends petionioning their local TD in Ireland to add support to the application, or could this do more harm than good ?

If you get refused then go for it what harm can it do mate?