Crackdown On People Who Watch Movies Or Use Mobile Phones While Driving: Thailand

webfact

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The police plan to launch a campaign against watching TV and talking on mobile phones while driving in order to cut down on road accidents

Might be the best explanation for their driving skills. Guess most of them are watching Thai Visa when driving.

You gotta love these stories..........biggrin.png..

At least you can still ride your moped while holding an umbrella and phone with your shopping in a basket in front of the headlamp.

Glad they are not cracking down on that !

• Like 2

Police only ever seem to use road blocks and this gives everyone time to stop using the mobile or TV etc. I have often remarked that drivers that take stupid or risky manoeuvres are never caught as there are never any police monitoring road traffic. On our last visit to the UK we toured Scotland and many country roads had a notice stating that the roads were patrolled by unmarked police motorbikes. I thought it was a very clever idea because each motorbike was considered to be the police. We were in no hurry and kept well within the speed limits so my wife could enjoy the beautiful scenery but this must work. Perhaps Thailand should invest in unmaked cars and motorbikes solely for traffic management. I know here in Thailand clampdowns only last a short while. I remember the move to stop motorbikes moving to the front at red traffic lights. I was in Bangkok at the time and many motorbikes were pulled over and it made driving more pleasant but after a week or so the situation returned to normal. Road blocks are effective against drunk driving but the last time we were pulled up just outside of Bangkok after a toll booth the Policeman was stinking of alcohol and not stale from the night before, but fresh. When you have been drinking alcohol it is impossible to tell if another person has been drinking so this policeman would not know if someone had been drinking and obviously did not care in any case.

imo, more dangerous than drunk drivers and should be punished at least the same. it's funny how in america you can do years of jail time for drinking and driving, but not even looking at the road while driving ends up in less severe penalties. better to be drunk and driving than not even looking at the road while driving... unless you're drunk AND texting of course.

Police only ever seem to use road blocks and this gives everyone time to stop using the mobile or TV etc. I have often remarked that drivers that take stupid or risky manoeuvres are never caught as there are never any police monitoring road traffic. On our last visit to the UK we toured Scotland and many country roads had a notice stating that the roads were patrolled by unmarked police motorbikes. I thought it was a very clever idea because each motorbike was considered to be the police. We were in no hurry and kept well within the speed limits so my wife could enjoy the beautiful scenery but this must work. Perhaps Thailand should invest in unmaked cars and motorbikes solely for traffic management. I know here in Thailand clampdowns only last a short while. I remember the move to stop motorbikes moving to the front at red traffic lights. I was in Bangkok at the time and many motorbikes were pulled over and it made driving more pleasant but after a week or so the situation returned to normal. Road blocks are effective against drunk driving but the last time we were pulled up just outside of Bangkok after a toll booth the Policeman was stinking of alcohol and not stale from the night before, but fresh. When you have been drinking alcohol it is impossible to tell if another person has been drinking so this policeman would not know if someone had been drinking and obviously did not care in any case.

Your examples reveal that this superficially modern society is in fact an Asian banana country. Whether we like it or want to admit it or not, it is.

In years past, I lived in Brazil and Mexico among other countries in South America and this was the same situation. A motorized vehicle trumps humans. A bribe trumps the rule of law.

The driver's eyes should be on the road ahead unless they are looking left or right or in the rear view mirrors. I can't even understand people who take their eyes off the road when they are talking to a passenger. I'm all for this ' clampdown ' but wish it to include motorcycle riders who think their left hand is for holding an umbrella, a cup of iced tea or to answer their phone.

"The police plan to launch a campaign against watching TV and talking on mobile phones while driving in order to cut down on road accidents

Might be the best explanation for their driving skills. Guess most of them are watching Thai Visa when driving.

At least you can still ride your moped while holding an umbrella and phone with your shopping in a basket in front of the headlamp.

Else your wife / girlfriend might be in trouble.

The driver's eyes should be on the road ahead unless they are looking left or right or in the rear view mirrors. I can't even understand people who take their eyes off the road when they are talking to a passenger. I'm all for this ' clampdown ' but wish it to include motorcycle riders who think their left hand is for holding an umbrella, a cup of iced tea or to answer their phone.

If the driver's (pop out) eyes are on the road, it is already too late.

Crack down ! Crack down ! i have seen this idiotic announcement over and over again, but bugger all ever seems to happen, and the media never never follow up. In fact, right after the announcement, like the police, they just forget all about it. These stupid "crack down" announcements are just an ego boosting exercise by some official or another wanting to see his name in print.

• Like 1

They are "cracking down" again. This was news at least five years ago in this same newspaper. The newspaper is always writing about various "crackdowns" on this and that. But never following up to put pressure on the sources of the problem and doing the right thing.

That's because Thailand aims to become the region's crackdown hub.

I always did think those aftermarket DVD players were madness. I nearly got sideswiped last week overtaking some moron in a pickup who wandered over the white line of a dual carriageway because he was watching the TV. At the risk of being a "Thai knocker" you definitely need both eyes on the road driving in LOS. At least with the factory fitted ones you can't watch them from the front while the vehicle is in gear. As it should be.
Unless you pay to have it modified to be viewed from the front also. My wife insisted we do that in our Wish so she could watch from the front passenger seat. Doesn't bother me though, disciplined enough to keep my eyes on the road. Comes in handy at those 5 minute red lights though. smile.png

We have a DVD player that we use as it then operates a DVD player in the back of the car for the kids. I can honestly say that in 4 years of driving the vehicle I have never looked at what is on the screen whilst the vehicle is in motion. That seems to be the difference, in that Thais have little concept of risk management, what is safe, what is not safe.

Has anyone seen Thai women putting on make up in slow moving traffic in the morning? That was always a favourite one to observe when I lived around London with the Essex girls commuting in to town.

Yesterday I saw three hookers putting on makeup and talking on cell phones on one Honda Wave while on the way to work. It was awesome. I didn't know if I should cry, laugh or applaud. The one driving had white knickers. The last one I think left in a hurry and ....

Yesterday I saw three hookers putting on makeup and talking on cell phones on one Honda Wave while on the way to work. It was awesome. I didn't know if I should cry, laugh or applaud. The one driving had white knickers

Any pics? rolleyes.gif

Yes, a step in the right direction... BUT the root cause of most 'accidents' here is simply a complete lack of driving skills. Nothing will reduce the road carnage until all drvers are given a 'proper' driving test and all driving rules are strictly enforced at all times.

The chance of this happening in the foreseeable future . . . . TIT !

I always did think those aftermarket DVD players were madness. I nearly got sideswiped last week overtaking some moron in a pickup who wandered over the white line of a dual carriageway because he was watching the TV. At the risk of being a "Thai knocker" you definitely need both eyes on the road driving in LOS. At least with the factory fitted ones you can't watch them from the front while the vehicle is in gear. As it should be.
Unless you pay to have it modified to be viewed from the front also. My wife insisted we do that in our Wish so she could watch from the front passenger seat. Doesn't bother me though, disciplined enough to keep my eyes on the road. Comes in handy at those 5 minute red lights though. smile.png

We have a DVD player that we use as it then operates a DVD player in the back of the car for the kids. I can honestly say that in 4 years of driving the vehicle I have never looked at what is on the screen whilst the vehicle is in motion. That seems to be the difference, in that Thais have little concept of risk management, what is safe, what is not safe.

Has anyone seen Thai women putting on make up in slow moving traffic in the morning? That was always a favourite one to observe when I lived around London with the Essex girls commuting in to town.

I have fond memories of being shunted from behind on the A2 by a lass putting on her lippy - didn't half make a mess of her make up and created the perfect opportunity for me to get her number... one of my more memorable chance encounters!

So if you're looking for an easy date, remember when you spot a fit lass doing her make up in traffic, get in front of her, short stamp on the brakes and you're set!

Else your wife / girlfriend might be in trouble.

No worries,

She's a Thai/Chinese Hi-So, drives a Benz with a private plate so can put on make-up, talk on the phone, wave to the BIB and drink expensive cocktails- without spillage - and all at 180 plus.biggrin.png

• Like 1

"The traffic police plan to revise and amend traffic laws that have been in force since 1979,"

Even though I agree whole heartedly with banning people using mobile phones and watching tv

while driving, I thought it was the government that made, revised, and amended laws, not the police.

The police are there to enforce the laws, so maybe if they concentrated on doing their job instead of

sitting in their little dog boxes or extorting money from people road safety would improve.

I know, I know TIT.

Excellent quote Lensta.

But the police play with the traffic in such a way that they make it worse.

And when they don't change traffic lights for 20mins what do they expect people to do?

What the eff did we do before TV started showing all the bullshit it does????/

Can't one just sit there and contemplate nothing in particular...a form of meditation? or is that too Buddhist for your liking?

Getting the police to enforce anything could be difficult. On the subject of mobile phones, so many taxi drivers and motorists are using their mobiles while driving on expressways and in all traffic conditions - why do they not use a Bluetooth headset? These inexpensive items are a MUST for anybody driving who wants to receive calls whilst driving - legal too!

On the question of DVD players / TVs in cars or vans, the screen should only be viewable for persons sitting in the back seats.

Motorcyclists must/should wear helmets in all districts, and their passengers too, including children. So many people piled on to a motorised bike and no helmets is inviting accidents. People who feel safe whilst they are controlling their riding/driving are in cloud-cuckoo land - it's the other vehicles that may create the accident, not to mention the swerving in and out of traffic.

Heavy fines and published lists in local media would soon bring everybody up to speed, - sounds draconian but if persons cannot understand the reasons for safety, they need to be shown. Remember 'clunk-click-every-trip' - well that worked for seatbelts, but maybe not in Thailand sad.png .

Let us all smile and be happy - YEAAH !!

Ah yet another "crackdown". I'm absolutely loving these crackdowns. Think I might add is as a component/concept in my upcoming board game about Thailand.

"Crackdown"

The day we see "crackdown" on corrupt MPs would be a lovely day indeed. Oh but wait... those people are above the law...

Getting the police to enforce anything could be difficult. On the subject of mobile phones, so many taxi drivers and motorists are using their mobiles while driving on expressways and in all traffic conditions - why do they not use a Bluetooth headset? These inexpensive items are a MUST for anybody driving who wants to receive calls whilst driving - legal too!

They are far from 'inexpensive'. I bought one for my wife that costs 6,000 baht.

She never used it. She still talks on the phone whilst driving.

Oh well.

mobile phone usage was illegal for a LONG time already... so why should there be a crackdown on it now? the crackdown should have been going on for the past few years! -

so, what they are saying is that they haven't been bothering to uphold the law in the last few years.. and now they feel its time to start upholding law?

How are they going to have a crackdown? Take more tea money every time someone is caught?

By confiscating the monitor! Should include these ever popular GPS thingies too.

What crap!!!!!!!!!. GPS's actually enhance road safety by ensuring the driver gets in the correct lane early and does not faff around on a busy road not knowing where to go, bloody best invention ever as long as set up properly. So total utterly misguided crap Semper; no offence intended though.

Yes you should be able to mount you in car DVD TV screen in the front for use by the passenger. Sure it should be illegal and negligent to watch TV whilst driving and if caught doing so you should be prosecuted but that should never apply for your front passenger's use. Main way is to try to educate the Thai drivers about road safety by using Government sponsored TV, newspaper and hoarding adverts getting the point across in a catchy memorable way (Like the old "Clunk Click Every Trip" or "Wear Something Bright At Night" campaigns back in the UK many years ago which all Brits still remember well)

Want to stop most road traffic accidents then start policing road users more and better by say stopping 3 and more on a motorbikes, no lights at night, jumping red traffic lights, driving down the wrong side of the road, wrong way around roundabouts, dangerous and stupid wrong lane use at junctions and driving without a driving licence so without any proper training or ability competence testing.. Really clamp down on those offenders first is the priority. The law should not forbid mobile phone or video use when driving but make it a very serious high penalty offence if in so doing you cause an accident. Many of us, like David above, CAN drive safely and keep our primary focus on the driving whilst talking on a phone or clanging at a video screen briefly but knowing the risks of high penalty prosecution IF we caused an accident whilst doing so. I am seriously very confident that using a mobile phone whilst dreiving would NOT cause me to have an accident as my driving is very much my #1 priority and focus at all times. Actually I personally find it harder and more distracting changing a music CD in the car when driving than using a mobile phone to be honest, and this is not illegal anywhere in the world !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Though to be honest I often stop the car safely somewhere to change such a music CD rather than fumble about finding a CD I want and then changing it in the car player.

Most accidents here in Thailand are caused quite clearly by total crass and unnecessary stupidity from my 9 years of experience here. Lack of driver training and poor inadequate wrongly focussed policing are the primary reasons for the high road traffic Accident rate here IMHO. Put that right first if you are really serious about saving lives through better APPLIED road safety measures. Please note that most of the logical and sensible world wide road safely laws are in force here too and have been for a long time, but just not adhered to or enforced adequately which is so very irresponsible and stupid.

But the police play with the traffic in such a way that they make it worse.

And when they don't change traffic lights for 20mins what do they expect people to do?

No law against it while parked for 20 minutes at a stop light.

That is provided there is such a stop light.

They are far from 'inexpensive'. I bought one for my wife that costs 6,000 baht.

She never used it. She still talks on the phone whilst driving.

Oh well.

Yes it's sad really. Can't imagine what is so important to talk about (not talking about your wife, but in general), just close the phone while driving, or don't answer. How did people survive before the invention of these gadgets?

How are they going to have a crackdown? Take more tea money every time someone is caught?

By confiscating the monitor! Should include these ever popular GPS thingies too.

What crap!!!!!!!!!. GPS's actually enhance road safety by ensuring the driver gets in the correct lane early and does not faff around on a busy road not knowing where to go, bloody best invention ever as long as set up properly. So total utterly misguided crap Semper; no offence intended though.

Yes you should be able to mount you in car DVD TV screen in the front for use by the passenger. Sure it should be illegal and negligent to watch TV whilst driving and if caught doing so you should be prosecuted but that should never apply for your front passenger's use. Main way is to try to educate the Thai drivers about road safety by using Government sponsored TV, newspaper and hoarding adverts getting the point across in a catchy memorable way (Like the old "Clunk Click Every Trip" or "Wear Something Bright At Night" campaigns back in the UK many years ago which all Brits still remember well)

Want to stop most road traffic accidents then start policing road users more and better by say stopping 3 and more on a motorbikes, no lights at night, jumping red traffic lights, driving down the wrong side of the road, wrong way around roundabouts, dangerous and stupid wrong lane use at junctions and driving without a driving licence so without any proper training or ability competence testing.. Really clamp down on those offenders first is the priority. The law should not forbid mobile phone or video use when driving but make it a very serious high penalty offence if in so doing you cause an accident. Many of us, like David above, CAN drive safely and keep our primary focus on the driving whilst talking on a phone or clanging at a video screen briefly but knowing the risks of high penalty prosecution IF we caused an accident whilst doing so. I am seriously very confident that using a mobile phone whilst dreiving would NOT cause me to have an accident as my driving is very much my #1 priority and focus at all times. Actually I personally find it harder and more distracting changing a music CD in the car when driving than using a mobile phone to be honest, and this is not illegal anywhere in the world !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Though to be honest I often stop the car safely somewhere to change such a music CD rather than fumble about finding a CD I want and then changing it in the car player.

Most accidents here in Thailand are caused quite clearly by total crass and unnecessary stupidity from my 9 years of experience here. Lack of driver training and poor inadequate wrongly focussed policing are the primary reasons for the high road traffic Accident rate here IMHO. Put that right first if you are really serious about saving lives through better APPLIED road safety measures. Please note that most of the logical and sensible world wide road safely laws are in force here too and have been for a long time, but just not adhered to or enforced adequately which is so very irresponsible and stupid.

Many accidents are caused by drivers just like you who are sure they can talk on their phone and take the occasional look at the TV.

Where in hell did you get driver training that said it was OK to do that.

• Like 2