Thailand Needs Cricket

What coloured balls should we play with?

sporty011.gif

It's an important question!

That is important. Don't ask me to bowl or the batsmen will have large black onessmile.png

That's called bodyline. I like it.

Jardine stopped Bradman with the same tactic.

You're in!!!

O! No. I thought that I was going to be brought in as 13th man which then had me involved

with all those sweet cheer squad ladies.ermm.gif

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sporty011.gif

That is important. Don't ask me to bowl or the batsmen will have large black onessmile.png

That's called bodyline. I like it.

Jardine stopped Bradman with the same tactic.

You're in!!!

But is that in the spirit of the OP wishing to change the lives of the Thai people with the subtle nuances of the game of cricket?

The subtle nuances of cricket includes such things gamesmanship. In fact, I can't think of a sport that has more. The Thais should excel.

Hahahahaha.

Cricket?

Physical and mental endurance and stamina, including better concentration ??

Willingness to work hard, over an extended period of time, to achieve objectives ??

^^^ In cricket?

They stand around half the time doing nothing or one swinging a piece of wood at a ball ( A bit like Rounders the Americans play - sorry!! World Baseball LOL).

Good joke topic though clap2.gif

The problems faced by Thailand, as outlined on countless TV threads, are no joke

One only has to look to the success story of Australia to see the potential benefits from the introduction of cricket

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

I agree that the problems faced by Thailand are numerous. But to think cricket could instill mental endurance and stamina? No. Neither is it likely to make them work hard.

Hahahahaha.

Cricket?

Willingness to work hard, over an extended period of time, to achieve objectives ??

^^^ In cricket?

They stand around half the time doing nothing or one swinging a piece of wood at a ball ( A bit like Rounders the Americans play - sorry!! World Baseball LOL).

The problems faced by Thailand, as outlined on countless TV threads, are no joke

One only has to look to the success story of Australia to see the potential benefits from the introduction of cricket

I agree that the problems faced by Thailand are numerous. But to think cricket could instill mental endurance and stamina? No. Neither is it likely to make them work hard.

Now come on gents. That isn't a nice thing to say about the affects of this noble sport on our fine, soon to be, Thai cricketers.smile.png

Edited by kevjohn

Hahahahaha.

Cricket?

^^^ In cricket?

I agree, but to give reasons why would go massively offtopic.gif .

I hope, I honestly do hope, that the OP saying that cricket would solve Thailand's woes is tongue-in-cheek, so to speak.

Hahahahaha.

Cricket?

^^^ In cricket?

I hope, I honestly do hope, that the OP saying that cricket would solve Thailand's woes is tongue-in-cheek, so to speak.

Have a look at this thread an you will understand were this is coming from.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/554288-hello-everyone/

Thailand does have a team which plays in international tournaments... and some of the players are Thai.

A curious fact about cricket... it went down so big in South Asia that it has become the national game in all four countries, but in the south-east, it made no impact. Indeed, cricket worldwide except in the few English-speaking countries where it's a big game, is dominated by Indians; just look at the Canadian team, for example.

It was big in the US in the 1790s or so, but they abandoned it for the simplicities of baseball (rounders under another name). Cricket was just too sophisticated.

I think you'll find Scotand's team includes more pakistanis than indians

(though that could just be ignorant preconception on my part)

SC

Thailand does have a team which plays in international tournaments... and some of the players are Thai.

A curious fact about cricket... it went down so big in South Asia that it has become the national game in all four countries, but in the south-east, it made no impact. Indeed, cricket worldwide except in the few English-speaking countries where it's a big game, is dominated by Indians; just look at the Canadian team, for example.

It was big in the US in the 1790s or so, but they abandoned it for the simplicities of baseball (rounders under another name). Cricket was just too sophisticated.

I watched the China v Thailand Ladies Cricket game from the Guzngzhou Asian Games last year (on TV, I hasten to add).

China won narrowly.

I didn't know any of the players

SC

Hahahahaha.

Cricket?

^^^ In cricket?

You show remarkably little confidence in the character-building benefits of sport. As someone who assiduously avoided competitive sports at school, I think I stand as a convincing counter-example that I am sure will change your mind

SC

You show remarkably little confidence in the character-building benefits of sport. As someone who assiduously avoided competitive sports at school, I think I stand as a convincing counter-example that I am sure will change your mind

SC

As I said in the topic introduction I believe the benefits of cricket can be achieved not only by participation, but also by appreciation of the game.

sporty011.gif

Although I understand the traditional red colour may provoke negative political feelings amongst some sections of Thai society, I expect this will merely encourage batsmen to keep their eye on the ball (and maybe use a bit more bottom hand), leading to a higher run-rate (and hence an even more amazing visual spectacle).

Hahahahaha.

Cricket?

^^^ In cricket?

Your (slightly pessimistic) thoughts are understood and noted; I am not expecting this to be an easy and simple solution to implement, the full benefits to Thai society will only be clear after several generations

Hahahahaha.

Cricket?

^^^ In cricket?

This thread now runs well over 100 posts and nobody has yet mentioned a problem that I do not think (know) could be solved by widespread participation in, and appreciation of, the wonderful game of cricket.

Oh okay, now me understand. Soweee, me stoopid falanggoof.gif

Your admirable willingness to admit your (possible) mistake is clearly borne out by, a childhood experience of, having to explain to your school cricket captain why you called "YES" (and caused his dismissal just 5 runs shy of a century) when there was clearly no run available (or a similar cricket related experience).

In order for me to further demonstrate how cricket can help Thai society, please could people remind me of any imperfections they have noticed over here?

http://www.cricketth...ernational.html

Cricket Association Of Thailand

52/2 Ramkhamhaeng Soi 24

Ramkhamhaeng road, Huamark,

Bangkapi, Bangkok 10240

Thailand

Tel: </span> </span> </span>+662 718 7358</span></span> </span></span> </span>

Fax: +662 318 6824

Email: [email protected]

thai_map_13_%20province_EDIT.jpg

They play cricket in Phetchabun ? Can anyone tell me where, so I can avoid it. Thanks.

sporty011.gif

Don't worry about that.

There will be quite an intensive selection process ...

post-104736-0-96043100-1336744584_thumb.

So kevjohn are you up to the job of the Cheer Leading coach?

Sorry for the delay but, yes, I think I can handle this especially now that I

have had a good 4hrs sleep.wink.png

post-104736-0-26098400-1336739018_thumb.

Wouldn't you like these girls rooting for you?

JIC :- http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/root

EDIT:- Oh ... and not a mongrel amonst them ... all look pure-bred Cheerleaders

I can't believe you said that on a public forum. Did Smokie put you up to it?

To which bit do you refer?

That I should self appoint and take care of the publicity for the team or that I have started the selection process of the In-House, or more correctly at ground entertainment?

I don't know anything about cricket really. Except that England keep beating Australia in the Ashes. biggrin.png

clap2.gif

cheesy.gif

After making that statement it seam you know more than I do.ermm.gif

But as coach of the cheer squad, I only need to know how to look after the girls.thumbsup.gif

I don't know anything about cricket really. Except that England keep beating Australia in the Ashes. biggrin.png

clap2.gif

cheesy.gif

We had to let you have a couple, the constant footage of a succession of English Captains crying like little girls on the tele after yet another spanking was bringing the sport into disrepute.

clap2.gif

cheesy.gif

Cough ...

A total of 321 tests between Australia and England = 132 wins for Aussies and 99 wins for English boys

Highest Partnership : for different wickets =

First Wicket 329 Geoff Marsh + Mark Taylor Australia

Second Wicket 451 WH Ponsford + Don Bradman Australia

Third Wicket 276 Don Bradman + AL Hassett Australia

Fouth Wicket 388 WH Ponsford + Bon Bradman Australia

Fifth Wicket 405 SG Barnes + Don Bradman Australia

Sixth Wicket 346 JHW Fingleton + Don Bradman Australia

Seventh Wicket 165 C Hill + H Trumble Australia

Eighth Wicket 243 MJ Hartigan + C Hill Australia

Nineth Wicket 154 SE Gregory + JM Blackham Australia

But don't give up hope ... where it really counts in the batting order ...

Tenth Wicket 130 RE Foster + W Rhodes England

Want to bowl another medium paced delivery ... post-104736-0-29787400-1336777252.gif

But let's not turn this into England's cricketing woes ... crying.gif

And focus on the OP's idea for cricket in Thailand.

EDIT:- Unusual for a Scot to go into 'Bat' for a Pom?

Better claim yourself again as a Scot!

Edited by David48

As I said in the topic introduction I believe the benefits of cricket can be achieved not only by participation, but also by appreciation of the game.

The only thing that bothers me with that is, you can probably get them to participate but appreciate,I don't really know.ermm.gif

Chill out gentlemen. What do i know? I'm a Scot. I just find it amusing.

Don't abuse me...like I said i know next to nothing about the game.

I do know the new crop of Aussies coming though are nowhere good enough though.

The only thing that bothers me with that is, you can probably get them to participate but appreciate,I don't really know.ermm.gif

I learnt the game from masters sitting on barstools in Samui. Both English and Aussie.

You see why i am so ignorant now?

Edit: I have learnt to love the game though. Oh yes!

Edited by smokie36