Syria Thwarts 'Massive' Suicide Bombing In Northern City - Gov'T

News_Editor

Syria thwarts 'massive' suicide bombing in northern city - gov't < br /> 2012-05-11 22:57:35 GMT+7 (ICT) ALEPPO, SYRIA (BNO NEWS) -- Syrian security forces have foiled an attempted suicide bombing in Syria's second city of Aleppo, just a day after two suicide bombers killed at least 55 people in the capital Damascus, state-run media reported on Friday. The would-be bomber was killed.The state-run Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) said a stolen minibus ran over two police officers when they attempted to stop him in the densely-populated al-Shaar neighborhood of Aleppo, which is Syria's largest city and located in the country's northwest. It was not immediately clear if they were injured.After the officers attempted to stop him, the attacker reportedly blew himself up with an explosive belt, killing only himself. A photo released by SANA showed a body of a the alleged bomber in the minivan's passenger seat, with extreme injuries to the lower part of his body but damage to the vehicle itself appeared to be minimal.When examining the vehicle, security forces discovered four large tanks containing an estimated 1,200 kilograms (2,645 pounds) of explosives which Syrian authorities believe were to be used in a massive suicide bombing in Aleppo. It was not immediately clear if the bombing was due to take place on Friday and, if so, what the target would have been.Details about the attempted bombing could not be independently verified due to government restrictions on the media.The attempt comes just a day after two suicide bombers detonated their explosives-laden vehicles near the crowded al-Qazaz intersection at the southern ring-road and near a military intelligence building in Damascus. The explosions, which devastated nearby buildings and destroyed some 100 cars and pickup trucks, killed at least 55 people and injured more than 370 others.But violence and suicide bombings have also increasingly affected other cities in Syria. In mid-February, at least 28 people were killed and 235 others were injured when a suicide bomber driving a white minibus broke through the security barrier at the entrance of a law enforcement building in the al-Arkoub area of Aleppo. tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-05-11

It's getting nasty this, it seems the world is slipping into a major conflict but I have my doubts the West has really worked out either an exit plan, entry plan or even whether any intervention will lead to a decrease in human suffering.

http://www.debka.com/article/21997/

The shocking impact of the twin explosions which killed 55 people and injured almost 400 in Damascus Thursday, May 10, galvanized Bashar Assad’s allies, starting with Iran, into frenetic activity. Within hours, Tehran had ordered its Lebanese proxy Hizballah to open up its arms stores and run quantities of weapons and military equipment across the border to the Syrian army – a striking reversal of the routine direction of arms supplies.

It's getting nasty this, it seems the world is slipping into a major conflict but I have my doubts the West has really worked out either an exit plan, entry plan or even whether any intervention will lead to a decrease in human suffering.

The shocking impact of the twin explosions which killed 55 people and injured almost 400 in Damascus Thursday, May 10, galvanized Bashar Assad’s allies, starting with Iran, into frenetic activity. Within hours, Tehran had ordered its Lebanese proxy Hizballah to open up its arms stores and run quantities of weapons and military equipment across the border to the Syrian army – a striking reversal of the routine direction of arms supplies.

Thanks for the link Dan , A frightening scenario indeed , how this one "pans out" is any ones guess!.

It is reported on the BBC website today that the Islamist group al- Nusra Front have released a video claiming responsibility for the suicide bombings in Damascus during the rush hour on Thursday, which killed 55 people and injured many more. Initially the rebels claimed that government forces were behind the explosions, obviously a blatant lie. Like it or not the West must take some responsibility, they have been financing and arming these so called rebels for a long time in an attempt to overthrow the Assad regime and replace it with one that is more receptive to their agenda. Notice the deafening silence from William Hague and Hilary Clinton about recent terrorist activity in Syria, in complete contrast to their daily outpourings of rhetoric against the Assad regime before. The West are playing a very dangerous and hypocritical game here, on the one hand condemning and fighting Islamic terrorists, and on the other financing and arming them when it suits their agenda. They seem to have got away with it in Libya, even though the result of their activities has left the country in anarchy and chaos. But it appears Syria is not going to be so easy. Time for the Western powers to make their minds up, are they for Islamic terrorists, or against them? They can no longer have their cake and eat it.
  • Like 1

It is reported on the BBC website today that the Islamist group al- Nusra Front have released a video claiming responsibility for the suicide bombings in Damascus during the rush hour on Thursday, which killed 55 people and injured many more. Initially the rebels claimed that government forces were behind the explosions, obviously a blatant lie. Like it or not the West must take some responsibility, they have been financing and arming these so called rebels for a long time in an attempt to overthrow the Assad regime and replace it with one that is more receptive to their agenda. Notice the deafening silence from William Hague and Hilary Clinton about recent terrorist activity in Syria, in complete contrast to their daily outpourings of rhetoric against the Assad regime before. The West are playing a very dangerous and hypocritical game here, on the one hand condemning and fighting Islamic terrorists, and on the other financing and arming them when it suits their agenda. They seem to have got away with it in Libya, even though the result of their activities has left the country in anarchy and chaos. But it appears Syria is not going to be so easy. Time for the Western powers to make their minds up, are they for Islamic terrorists, or against them? They can no longer have their cake and eat it.

Yeah I agree its make your mind up time ,maybe now they know just who is replacing what as you have noted there may be a change of attitude !,

Yeah I agree its make your mind up time ,maybe now they know just who is replacing what as you have noted there may be a change of attitude !,

Sadly, i won't be holding my breath.

I'm not so sure Exsexyman ,as you have rightly noted the voices of "powers to be" appear somewhat muted lately ,the warning signs are there as Dan,s latest 2 link,s have portrayed all to well ,hard one to call really ,but another radical Islamic Country?.

Edited by Colin Yai

Iran's ally Syria now targeted by suicide bombers and they are ordering Hizballah to help? That's ironic innit?

• Like 2