The Filipinos Are Coming!

Jingthing

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well not exactly. I am for a rich diverse mix. The issue I have now with the Russian demographic is that they are showing signs of dominance which is something I don't want to see any group achieve in Pattaya. Well, except Thais of course, but bottom line what makes Pattaya potentially a great city is the diverse international aspect. Reduction of diversity, reduction of richness.

If you're asking me if I would prefer Pinoy dominance to Russian dominance, the answer is yes. Does that make me a bad person?

no it does not make you a bad person. fact is i think you are a good person because anybody who likes and devotes that much time on food must be a good person thumbsup.gif

Do You Think The Philippinisation Of Pattaya Is A Good Thing Or Not? ermm.gif

I wonder if someone had started a thread aimed at discussing whether or not the increasing numbers of Blacks/gays/Brits/Pushy Americans/Arrogant Brits/ Insular Indians/ or whoever was or was not a good thing here in Pattaya ... of course modified with a condescending "I'm happy to see them" ... what the reaction would have been?

The fact that "we" seem to be discussing "them" implies that there are no Filipinos amongst the "we" and that "we" are somehow the vetting committee for who should or should not be resident in a place where most of "us" are foreigners too.

Some of the comments are reminiscent of the "but they sure have rhythm" or "some of my best friends are ..." nonsense of the 60's.

This isn't a call for everyone to be PC, but wondering aloud who "we" imagine ourselves to be in terms of our presence in Pattaya. Given how much some of the contributors endlessly whine about everything here, it seems odd that they now feel qualified to give a thumbs up or down on who else stays here.

<deleted>!

Nobody is talking vetting committees or that expats have any power of who comes.

The Thai government does of course.

Of course, all kinds of people read this forum including Thais, Russians, and Pinoys.

All of course are as welcome as anyone to post here.

Since we have no power, these kinds of topics seem harmless to me. I reckon as the Russians become even more dominant here, topics will come up on a Russian forum about different national groups other than Russians coming to Pattaya and what they think about them. Russians are free to start topics like that here if they want, but I doubt it would have resonance here and now on this forum.

Edited by Jingthing

Perhaps just a coincidence that I've seen so many Pinoys lately. Like I said, I like it. I can recognize Tagalog but sometimes its harder to tell when Pinoys are speaking other island languages.

I can recognize Tagalogby the way they speak English. Did you know that 2 pilots are called a pair of pliers?

Perhaps just a coincidence that I've seen so many Pinoys lately. Like I said, I like it. I can recognize Tagalog but sometimes its harder to tell when Pinoys are speaking other island languages.

I can recognize Tagalogby the way they speak English. Did you know that 2 pilots are called a pair of pliers?

Right,but many Filipinos don't speak Tagalog when they're speaking to each other. I'm not real familiar with the sound of their other languages.

Right,but many Filipinos don't speak Tagalog when they're speaking to each other. I'm not real familiar with the sound of their other languages.

Very true. Only about 25% of the population speak Tagalog - from the following provinces: Mindoro, Batangas, Bulacan, Quezon and Manila (plus a few other minor places). The rest speak other languages both at work, school and home.

You may be surprised to lean that in many areas and in particular the Visayan and Southern regions people prefer not to speak Tagalog at all and many of the poorer population cannot.

I've heard hotel staff in Cebu City talk back to Tagalog speakers in English. They refused to speak Tagalog.

I had a Mexican meal in Edinburgh back in 99 , it was up near the sound box or whatever that place was called . So the waiter says they have a real Mexican chef . Well me and my scneck order a paella of sorts and loads of marguerittas . It got late and we were the only customers in the place ,and so the chef came out for a drink and it turned out he was a Philippino and had never been to Mexico and he got the job because sounded like kermit the frog when he spoke and was swarthy . The food was unremarkable though .

I had a Mexican meal in Edinburgh back in 99 , it was up near the sound box or whatever that place was called . So the waiter says they have a real Mexican chef . Well me and my scneck order a paella of sorts and loads of marguerittas . It got late and we were the only customers in the place ,and so the chef came out for a drink and it turned out he was a Philippino and had never been to Mexico and he got the job because sounded like kermit the frog when he spoke and was swarthy . The food was unremarkable though .

The fact that they served paella should have been a clue.w00t.gif Edited by Jingthing

Where to meet a nice PI girl here in Pattaya? Where do they hang out? I fully agree they are so much more pleasant than their Thai counterparts. And this is not just language related.

The nice ones are back in PI. That's where I would go to score a replacement if that ever became necessary.

Once they travel they change, and not usually for the better.

if she and you love each other or really like each other company then it would be cruel to dump her when she looses her looks

which if she is only 23 might take another 17 years

Where to meet a nice PI girl here in Pattaya? Where do they hang out? I fully agree they are so much more pleasant than their Thai counterparts. And this is not just language related.

The nice ones are back in PI. That's where I would go to score a replacement if that ever became necessary.

Once they travel they change, and not usually for the better.

if she and you love each other or really like each other company then it would be cruel to dump her when she looses her looks

which if she is only 23 might take another 17 years

I'm not planning on dumping anyone. I made the point hypothetically - if I found myself in a situation where I wanted a Filipino partner I wouldn't search for one here. Anyway, if anyone was going to dump someone, it would be her dumping me as I get older, uglier and grumpier and spend too much time posting on this forumsmile.png

smile.png man i have a sexy girl but what i seen in the philipines make me wanna move there

It's just a grass is greener syndrome. If sexy is all you need, you'll do fine here.

... The food was unremarkable though ...

That is a downside of The Philippines. and that a decent massage is nearly unknown

Correct on the first, but you can find good massages. Assuming you're talking about genuine massage, I had a lot of good massages over there. Nothing like this push-pull-twist nonsense you get in a typical Pattaya al-cheapo massage place. Incidentally the best Thai massage place I've been to was one set up in a provincial town over there.

No idea if this is relevant, but I stay frequently in the Dusit Thani Hotel in Cairo. I am sure that you have heard of this famous Thai Hotel Chain. Many Asian women working here, about a dozen just now. All dressed up like Thai ladies and wai-ing and "sawadee ka-ing" like hell. Well, only one of them is a Thai, she is the cook in the Thai restaurant. All the rest are Filipinas or girls from Myanmar.

Very true. Only about 25% of the population speak Tagalog - from the following provinces: Mindoro, Batangas, Bulacan, Quezon and Manila (plus a few other minor places). The rest speak other languages both at work, school and home.

You may be surprised to lean that in many areas and in particular the Visayan and Southern regions people prefer not to speak Tagalog at all and many of the poorer population cannot.

I've heard hotel staff in Cebu City talk back to Tagalog speakers in English. They refused to speak Tagalog.

That's because they don't speak Tagalog in Cebu, only Visayan.

Excellent comments…I agree with you that this sort of bigotry must not be tolerated…..

Do You Think The Philippinisation Of Pattaya Is A Good Thing Or Not? ermm.gif

I wonder if someone had started a thread aimed at discussing whether or not the increasing numbers of Blacks/gays/Brits/Pushy Americans/Arrogant Brits/ Insular Indians/ or whoever was or was not a good thing here in Pattaya ... of course modified with a condescending "I'm happy to see them" ... what the reaction would have been?

The fact that "we" seem to be discussing "them" implies that there are no Filipinos amongst the "we" and that "we" are somehow the vetting committee for who should or should not be resident in a place where most of "us" are foreigners too.

Some of the comments are reminiscent of the "but they sure have rhythm" or "some of my best friends are ..." nonsense of the 60's.

This isn't a call for everyone to be PC, but wondering aloud who "we" imagine ourselves to be in terms of our presence in Pattaya. Given how much some of the contributors endlessly whine about everything here, it seems odd that they now feel qualified to give a thumbs up or down on who else stays here.

Edited by tailspin

should I believe you or should I believe wiki, you make the call....

http://en.wikipedia....agalog_language

Native speakers 23.9 million (2000 census)[1]

96% of the Philippines can speak Tagalog (2000)[2]

Tagalog is also spoken natively by inhabitants living on the islands, Marinduque, Mindoro, and large areas of Palawan. It is spoken by approximately 64.3 million Filipinos, 96.4% of the household population.[16] 21.5 million, or 28.15% of the total Philippine population,[17] speak it as a native language.

Edited by tailspin

Really?

Let me educate you on this one. All educated Visayans (that have been to school) can speak Tagalog, especially the hotel staff. The point is they don't like speaking it. I could go into details as to why they don't, but let's leave it at that.

• Like 1

should I believe you or should I believe wiki, you make the call....

http://en.wikipedia....agalog_language

Native speakers 23.9 million (2000 census)[1]

96% of the Philippines can speak Tagalog (2000)[2]

Tagalog is also spoken natively by inhabitants living on the islands, Marinduque, Mindoro, and large areas of Palawan. It is spoken by approximately 64.3 million Filipinos, 96.4% of the household population.[16] 21.5 million, or 28.15% of the total Philippine population,[17] speak it as a native language.

I should have spelled it out to save you the trouble of looking it up on Wikipedia, but thanks anyway.

Your article indicates that about 28.15% of the population speak Tagalog natively. This is the number I was referring to - NATIVE SPEAKERS - around 25% of the population (I gave a round figure as I thought no one would be interested in exact percentage points). The population is now close to 100 million depending on the source and your article is quoting figures from an old census. They had a new census in 2010 - I was there for it.

Definitely they are wrong about 96% percent of the population being able to speak Tagalog (2000). That is nonsense. A huge percentage of the poor population (about 40% of the total population) have had zero or very little education. That 96% figure is wishful thinking or propaganda by the government.

Edited by tropo

Really?

Let me educate you on this one. All educated Visayans (that have been to school) can speak Tagalog, especially the hotel staff. The point is they don't like speaking it. I could go into details as to why they don't, but let's leave it at that.

Well, all I can say is your experience is much different than mine. Seeing how this could digress into a pissing match as to which of us has more experience in the Central / Southern Philippines, I like your idea of just letting it be Professor.

Really?

Well, all I can say is your experience is much different than mine. Seeing how this could digress into a pissing match as to which of us has more experience in the Central / Southern Philippines, I like your idea of just letting it be Professor.

Yeah, you're probably better off letting it go because your earlier comment was silly and I thought you were just having a dig anyway. I live in the Visayan region when I'm in the Philippines and wife is from there. On this subject I know what I'm talking about.

Does anyone know if they still do the Filipino buffet night one night a week at Bourbon Street restaurant? Speaking of Pinoy food, I actually like some of it. If not at Bourbon Street are there any other restaurants in town with Filipino offerings?

Really?

Yeah, you're probably better off letting it go because your earlier comment was silly and I thought you were just having a dig anyway. I live in the Visayan region when I'm in the Philippines and wife is from there. On this subject I know what I'm talking about.

Since you won't let it go, I'll have my 2 cents too. When in the PI, I spend most of my time in the central Visayas also. If you speak Tagalog to someone on the street, they won't understand you. Go into a bank, restaurant, store and it's either Visaya or English. You may have a point with hotel clerks, but is that an accurate representation of the population in total? I think not. I know Filipinos from Luzon that can't speak a word of Visaya, so what makes you think that most Visayans speak Tagalog?

Since you won't let it go, I'll have my 2 cents too. When in the PI, I spend most of my time in the central Visayas also. If you speak Tagalog to someone on the street, they won't understand you. Go into a bank, restaurant, store and it's either Visaya or English. You may have a point with hotel clerks, but is that an accurate representation of the population in total? I think not. I know Filipinos from Luzon that can't speak a word of Visaya, so what makes you think that most Visayans speak Tagalog?

... ok, shall we continue then... and please concentrate and don't twist my words. I said all educated Visayans can speak Tagalog. The whole point of my earlier post was to explain that although they can speak it, they don't like to and choose not to... for reasons we have yet to cover...

If you think Visayans cannot understand Tagalog, you've never been there because if you had you would never have made such an absurd statement. Even my wife's illiterate (Central Visayan) parents (cannot read or write) can understand it and they never went to school for a day in their lives. They enjoy watching Tagalog on TV every day. The same goes for all the uneducated Filipinos - they all understand it. My brother in law never attended school - he understands it very well...as well as all his uneducated friends who huddle around the TV every night watching Tagalog programs - need I go on?

If the Visayan people couldn't understand your Tagalog, you better brush up on your pronunciation.

"Filipino" (based on Tagalog) is the national language and compulsory from the first year of elementary school. As I said, anyone who has been to school will speak it. The longer their education the better they will speak it - no matter where they live in the Philippines.

Does anyone know if they still do the Filipino buffet night one night a week at Bourbon Street restaurant? Speaking of Pinoy food, I actually like some of it. If not at Bourbon Street are there any other restaurants in town with Filipino offerings?

My place?smile.png I cook some mean Filipino tucker...

Edited by tropo