Business Owners In Pattaya-Staff Problems

phl

I disagree with the above post. Good customer service is possible in Thailand as long as TRAINING and SUPERVISION is implemented. Places such as Hard Rock Cafe, Starbucks, (most) of your 5 star hotels, and some salesclerks in certain department stores (BKK) have acceptable customer service but this is due to good training (and most likely) better pay to keep a better staff.. Pattaya is most likely the worse place for customer service since the Thais that work here are so transient -come and go; plus their attitude seems to be a bit lethargic towards tourists who most likely have left a negative impression on them due to a few rude or demanding customers. With all the locally runned restaurants and bars, it is interesting to see the ones that are packed with customers everynight. It will be the ones that are well runned with a good, trained staff (and most likely the owner is persent helping).

Yes I agree. Whenever I have lunch up in the Hilton Hotel there seems to be no shortage of courteous English speaking staff. Same as with a lot of other places that are no so up market. As for maids running off, imagine this, she works from 7am to 7pm, gets at a baht bus to go home, farang says have dinner with me, she goes. Tells him she works for 6k p/m take care apartment and farang says I give you 15k take care me. Some of these maids do work very hard for very little reward, any wonder why they run off. Isn't there a minimum salary these days of around 300 baht a day? That should make it 9k a Month salary?

Have you ever thought that the reason they might be leaving after such a short period of time is because of you ?

Have to thought about your management techniques ?

Ohhh such a useful input, have you owned a business in Thailand?

Having been working for almost 20 years now in Thailand, I must agree the main problem is work ethics/morale, or general lack thereof.

Active now in safety systems for the petrochemical industry (ESD and F&G systems for those who know them), a sector which for obvious reasons need very strong work ethics, and believe me, all those big companies are struggling to fill their job openings!

And those employees who do fit the bill (yes, there are very capable local educated people around) command and actuaaly deserve pretty good salaries (6 digit Baht/monthly)...

With this I mean for example employees taking evening courses on their own time/expense for the simple reason that they crave the knowledge, and not only because they think it'll bump their paycheck!

You have to be lucky to find them...

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect App

Having been working for almost 20 years now in Thailand, I must agree the main problem is work ethics/morale, or general lack thereof.

Active now in safety systems for the petrochemical industry (ESD and F&G systems for those who know them), a sector which for obvious reasons need very strong work ethics, and believe me, all those big companies are struggling to fill their job openings!

And those employees who do fit the bill (yes, there are very capable local educated people around) command and actuaaly deserve pretty good salaries (6 digit Baht/monthly)...

With this I mean for example employees taking evening courses on their own time/expense for the simple reason that they crave the knowledge, and not only because they think it'll bump their paycheck!

the more I read these kinds of responses I can only wonder what will happen to so many

Thai's after the AEC 2015 is implemented because you will have Cambodians,

Vietnamese, Malaysians with far better English skills anyway and with a much better

work ethic willing and able to compete for so many positions

Edited by Asiantravel

the more I read these kinds of responses I can only wonder what will happen to so many

Vietnamese, Malaysians with far better English skills anyway and with a much better

well, i am counting the mins, because in my opinion it is getting worse and worse by the day.

I also feel and notice that its gotten worse since the wage increase for some reason.

Also keep in mind Monty's post is about highly educated people with high salary, now imagine the quality i get in hospitality industry, its simply incredible the things they do.

Coming for job interview with a friend who simply sits in, answering phone calls during an interview and the list goes on,

If i filmed some of my interviews, i am sure some people would think its a fiction or roll on the floor with laughter.

Will not make any difference as they will find a way to protect their labor market...

Slap excise duty on foreign labor for example, making it uselessly expensive...

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

Will not make any difference as they will find a way to protect their labor market...

but if they did that,wouldn't that force more investors to simply relocate their business

to adjoining countries?

but if they did that,wouldn't that force more investors to simply relocate their business

to adjoining countries?

Thai do not usually think or plan that far ahead