The Oil And Gas Industry In Songkhla

hmmm...maybe you're right and a scam would explain all the confusion...I got an admin fee scam out of India once years ago but I sniffed that out very quickly...I will call the number on the offer letter email and check it out...come to think of it, the 'lawyers' in KL have an african name...whoooah Nellie! and maybe the job did 'come out of the blue' as there have been other inquires from Malaysia in power generation but never in oil and gas...

I'll investigate and keep you and the forum informed...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

"God, I wish people would just ask a straight question, instead of fannying about around the edges...

If you want a specific, sensible question answered, post it...

I'll be here...."

Ok, there may be some interested, experienced, helpful guys reading ...smile.png

With 20 years North Sea experience, initially as a wireline operator, 12 years as a [staff] Well Service Supervisor for a major-major.

I took an early retirement package a few years ago and decided to never go offshore again.

I arrived here in Thailand and have been dossing ever since. I need to work - and not necessarily for financial reasons!

Faced with a divorce and a new freedom, does any one know of any well servicing companies recruiting in their Songkhla workshops?

Once again, the Thai E&P business isn't about to hire experienced expatriates when a local-hire with less experience can do the job. It's been said already that the Department of Mineral Fuels (DMF) has to approve any foreign hires and that's usually limited to experienced people for project-specific jobs. Unless you know someone who can put in a good word, you are on the outside, looking in. There's several manpower agencies in the region and it would be easier to get your cv filed with them and expect to work somewhere outside the Gulf of Thailand while you rebuild your dream.

Thanks fer the positive input Khun Nan Leaw.

I don't think I'll ever have to prostitute my CV.

This was just a polite enquiry.

As for rebuilding dreams? Sorry it's all about my protestant work ethic. Your dream would be my current pension.

.......really it's a waste of time posting here sometimes.wai.gif

a big, well known O&G company in Sarawak has made me an offer to work on O&M (primarily maintenance)@ USD17000 per month and a 4 on 4 off rotation...my background is in new power generation projects and the offer was made only on sight of my CV with no phone interview or nothin' and I'm almost 62 y.o....they said that they'll train me up for what they want me to do...

sounds attractive but a bit weird...any of you O&G folks care to comment?

I have just come of a contract in GOT as a construction superintendent at about 22000USD per cycle offshore on 4 x 4. Probably paid a bit more as not a black trades background, so in in the realms of reasonable to high. Joking on the black trades, honest,

Cheers

A comment on "the working conditions, food and safety culture" offshore Thailand versus offshore Australia. Aussie Government regulations and Union rules makes any compromise on these items non-negotiable whereas one would (and frequently does) put up with a lot more sh!t here because it is Thailand after all.

Wasnt the PTTEP rig which caught fire a few years ago working under Aussie goverment/union rules, and this was being run from the Aussie Divsion of PTTEP out of Perth ?

Having worked many years in the Gulf of Thailand can't say I have had to put up with any more shit than I have anywhere else I have worked over the years and in some respects its better than some Western countries I have worked in.

Yes, the West Atlas...or the 'West Ashtray' as it was called in the office after that event. We lost gear in that fireball.

cant believe that the outcome of that event was that if the opertator can pay for damages / spill cleanup, then they can drill in australian waters.

big news in Australia.. but not in Thailand

cant believe that the outcome of that event was that if the opertator can pay for damages / spill cleanup, then they can drill in australian waters.

Maybe ask "NanLaew" about the non-negotiable Aussie goverment/union rules that are in place.....thumbsup.gif

hmmm...maybe you're right and a scam would explain all the confusion...I got an admin fee scam out of India once years ago but I sniffed that out very quickly...I will call the number on the offer letter email and check it out...come to think of it, the 'lawyers' in KL have an african name...whoooah Nellie! and maybe the job did 'come out of the blue' as there have been other inquires from Malaysia in power generation but never in oil and gas...

yeah...called today at both numbers indicated on the email (from 'HR' and from 'the lawyers') and they were both unreachable...

good job, soutpeel for recognizing another nigerian scam! and very convincing it was too with a company letterhead and all very legitimate looking...but there always is the no. 1 rule; that if it looks too good to be true then it probably ain't...

job seekers beware of a job offer that requires 'visa administrative fees' to be paid in advance...in my case it was from 'Malaysia Agip Oil Company Ltd.' and fire back with as much abuse as possible...

mods: consider pinning this dialog with soutpeel in the jobs section...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

yeah...called today at both numbers indicated on the email (from 'HR' and from 'the lawyers') and they were both unreachable...

good job, soutpeel for recognizing another nigerian scam! and very convincing it was too with a company letterhead and all very legitimate looking...but there always is the no. 1 rule; that if it looks too good to be true then it probably ain't...

job seekers beware of a job offer that requires 'visa administrative fees' to be paid in advance...in my case it was from 'Malaysia Agip Oil Company Ltd.' and fire back with as much abuse as possible...

Now you have mentioned the name of the "Company"....a simple search shows many post such as this:.....reading through some of these, it appears this scam is based out of Nigeria, not Malaysia....I have copied the below direct from the internet....

For people who are trying to get into O&G following basic rules apply:

1. Do not pay money up front for anything....reputable companies will not require you to do this

2. Use the internet to research companies who have approached you

3. If a scam is detected feed the info back to the operating company concerned ie the real one....in this case AGIP (who are a real company)

4. Web sites which tell you they will find you a job for a fee, typically US$ +/- 200 do not work...they are borderline scams....all the company does is spams your CV to companies in mass mailing exercises.

5. If you are approached via an unsoliciated email with a company/agency you have never submitted a CV to, be careful

6. Do not put too many personal details in your CV

7. Before being offered a job at least a telephone interview will be conducted.

8. If Someone wishes to interview in person all costs ie flights/hotels etc should be paid for by the company interviewing

OFFER OF EMPLOYMENT - MALAYSIA AGIP OIL CO. LTD

I received the exact same offer letter as the other complainants.

These scum bags need to be tracked and down and prosecuted.

To all out there be aware of these offer letters from Malaysia or Nigeria Agip Oil Company Ltd.

The scam is very simply to attempt to make you submit funds of around $1,000 to pay for an Affit Davit and Attestation process to enable the "company" to process your work visa etc which of course never happens.

Be careful

MALAYSIA AGIP OIL COMPANY LTD

Bangunan Agip Malaysia

Changkat Semantan, Damansara Heights

P.O. Box 1127, 50632 Kuala Lumpur.

ATTN:

You are hereby notified that your qualifications and experiences were found suitable for the requirements of Malaysia Agip Oil Company Ltd. For verification and screening you are to submit your most recent resume by replying our e-mail.

Total Years of Experience:-

Current Salary per Month in $:-

Years of experience in Oil & Gas companies:-

Best Regards,

Malaysia Agip Oil Company Ltd.

---------------

I replayed and got this:

-----------------

ATTN: SIR

With the approval of the Board of Directors of Malaysia Agip Oil Company Ltd,we are delighted to formally offer you the Appointment to work with us in Malaysia Agip Oil Company Ltd for the provision of Expatriates Relation Services for the period duly specified in your Offer Letter,please find attached Soft Copy of your Contract Terms of Employment for your perusal and immediate action if the terms of work is acceptable to you. Upon thorough review and acceptance of this Contract Package, dot your signature in the space indicated in the last page of the Offer Letter and return same back to us via email attachment within a period of 14 working days.

You are to immediately make contact with motsepe Chambers & Associates with the below details to secure your Affidavit of Guarantee and Letter of Attestation from the Malaysian High Court of Justice to enable us process your residence and work permit / Visa and also legalize your contract engagement with Malaysia Agip Oil Company Ltd.This Affidavit covers for your total contract acceptance with duration terms and allegiance to the laws guiding the Aliens/Expatriates Registration Quota under the Federal Ministry of Internal Affairs which empowers us to procure your works/residence permit with the Malaysian Immigration Services here in Malaysia.

motsepe Chambers & Associates

Address: 233, Jalan Ampang, Kuala Lumpur, 50340, Malaysia .

E-mail: [email protected]

Designation: Solicitor and Advocate in Law

Contact Person: James motsepe.

On getting the Affidavit make available to us the below documents for the processing of your Residence and Work permit / Visa:

1. Scan copy of your affidavit of Guarantee and letter of attestation from the Malaysian High Court of Justice

2. Scan copy of your duly Signed Job Offer Letter (Enclosures: 6 below)

3. Scanned Copy of International Passport (Data Page)

4. Scanned Copy of Passport Photograph (Colored)

Attempts to get you on phone before this contract was sent failed,please note that you will not require any interviews for this job due to your experience in the job offered,rather on arrival here you will undergo mandatory 2 weeks training/instruction on the position offered to you.

Congratulations!

Thanks and best regards,

John bicsak

Human Resources Department

Malaysia Agip Oil Company Ltd

Tel: +60123002914

E-mail: [email protected].

Edited by Soutpeel

Now you have mentioned the name of the "Company"....a simple search shows many post such as this:.....reading through some of these, it appears this scam is based out of Nigeria, not Malaysia....I have copied the below direct from the internet....

1. Do not pay money up front for anything....reputable companies will not require you to do this

3. If a scam is detected feed the info back to the operating company concerned ie the real one....in this case AGIP (who are a real company)

4. Web sites which tell you they will find you a job for a fee, typically US$ +/- 200 do not work...they are borderline scams....all the company does is spams your CV to companies in mass mailing exercises.

5. If you are approached via an unsoliciated email with a company/agency you have never submitted a CV to, be careful

8. If Someone wishes to interview in person all costs ie flights/hotels etc should be paid for by the company interviewing

To all out there be aware of these offer letters from Malaysia or Nigeria Agip Oil Company Ltd.

The scam is very simply to attempt to make you submit funds of around $1,000 to pay for an Affit Davit and Attestation process to enable the "company" to process your work visa etc which of course never happens.

Be careful

Bangunan Agip Malaysia

ATTN:

You are hereby notified that your qualifications and experiences were found suitable for the requirements of Malaysia Agip Oil Company Ltd. For verification and screening you are to submit your most recent resume by replying our e-mail.

Best Regards,

---------------

I replayed and got this:

-----------------

With the approval of the Board of Directors of Malaysia Agip Oil Company Ltd,we are delighted to formally offer you the Appointment to work with us in Malaysia Agip Oil Company Ltd for the provision of Expatriates Relation Services for the period duly specified in your Offer Letter,please find attached Soft Copy of your Contract Terms of Employment for your perusal and immediate action if the terms of work is acceptable to you. Upon thorough review and acceptance of this Contract Package, dot your signature in the space indicated in the last page of the Offer Letter and return same back to us via email attachment within a period of 14 working days.

You are to immediately make contact with motsepe Chambers & Associates with the below details to secure your Affidavit of Guarantee and Letter of Attestation from the Malaysian High Court of Justice to enable us process your residence and work permit / Visa and also legalize your contract engagement with Malaysia Agip Oil Company Ltd.This Affidavit covers for your total contract acceptance with duration terms and allegiance to the laws guiding the Aliens/Expatriates Registration Quota under the Federal Ministry of Internal Affairs which empowers us to procure your works/residence permit with the Malaysian Immigration Services here in Malaysia.

On getting the Affidavit make available to us the below documents for the processing of your Residence and Work permit / Visa:

1. Scan copy of your affidavit of Guarantee and letter of attestation from the Malaysian High Court of Justice

Attempts to get you on phone before this contract was sent failed,please note that you will not require any interviews for this job due to your experience in the job offered,rather on arrival here you will undergo mandatory 2 weeks training/instruction on the position offered to you.

Congratulations!

Thanks and best regards,

John bicsak

that's it...exactly...and I never did reply to the offer letter but they have my details from my CV...and I did search the internet for Malaysia AGIP but only came up with a proposal of theirs for oil exploration near Sarawak some years ago...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Rigzone is sometimes an interesting read for Oil & Gas projects worldwide.

www.rigzone.com

Posting your CV online on this website could possibly make you a scam target.

AGIP no longer exists, it was bought out by ENI a few years ago...

AGIP may have been bought. But it's very difficult to change company names in some countries. And in other countries it costs so much to build brand recognition that they'll keep the same name with a tiny asterisk calling it "a division of XXX".

There are plenty of red flags in the offer being discussed. But the name AGIP isn't necessarily one of them- more diligence would be appropriate.

Pre-payment for visa services is a deal killer.

To answer the OP's query: There are service companies and operators in Songkhla and Sattahip that are looking for expats to meet specific needs. I'm sure there are other locations as well, but those are the locations I have specific knowledge.

Don't fall for the "it's who you know" trap. They're looking for good people and you don't have to know anyone- though it always helps.

Your best bet is to look up the locations on the interweb, then burn some shoe leather. Attend an SPE event in Bangkok- they're open to non-members. Hang out nicely dressed around "Expat Corner" in Songkhla and talk to the guys you meet. (To find "Expat Corner", look up Singora Hotel and draw a 100 meter radius circle- that's my description, not a commonly used name)

Good luck.

Edited by impulse

AGIP no longer exists, it was bought out by ENI a few years ago...

I stand to be corrected but Agip Oil Malaysia still exists in name...there are petrol stations still named this way.....but yes AGIP-ENI is the "new" company

Maybe ask "NanLaew" about the non-negotiable Aussie goverment/union rules that are in place.....thumbsup.gif

I was thinking more along the lines of strict man-hours limitations (as mentioned in another post) and the mandatory minimum of six flavours of ice cream be available AT ANY TIME rather than some people breaking some HSE rules.

Interesting read up on the Montara blowout on Wiki btw; "The company said drilling supervisors and management associated with the incident have been removed from their positions with the company." I wonder if they were mostly just transferred back to the GoT or reassigned offshore Burma?

Edited by NanLaew

Be careful

Bangunan Agip Malaysia

ATTN:

Best Regards,

---------------

I replayed and got this:

-----------------

Congratulations!

Thanks and best regards,

John bicsak

that's it...exactly...and I never did reply to the offer letter but they have my details from my CV...and I did search the internet for Malaysia AGIP but only came up with a proposal of theirs for oil exploration near Sarawak some years ago...

Big red flag when you see the lawyers email address is a hotmail one.

I wonder if they were mostly just transferred back to the GoT or reassigned offshore Burma?

Why would you believe the personnel in question were transfered back to Thailand or Burma ?

The company concerned is was PTTEP's Australian subsidiary, PTTEP Australasia Ashmore-Cartier Pty Ltd (PTTEP AA)...and at least 50% of the senior managment were Aussies...most certainly the COO and the senior SSHE staff were not Thai nationals...I have no idea what the crew make up was offshore, but I would be certain there were very few Thai nationals involved (if any) because of your non-negotiable Union rules again...thumbsup.gif

Edited by Soutpeel

"Malaysia Agip Oil Company Ltd"....is the company scamming you

"Agip Oil Malaysia".....Is the correct and legitmate name for the company

As stated previously these scammers are clever...on face value you may think these are one and the same....but they are not...biggrin.png

I've read that companies like Haliburton and Esso and PTT and Chevron all have office there.

They also have offices in Bangkok.

They have offices in Bangkok. They have depots in Songkla.

wai.gif

TH

Not sure about that. I've seen lots of offices in Singha Nakhorn. Many top companies are there: Haliburton; Chevron; etc. Many execs stay at the Had Kiaw Resort Hotel in Singa Nakhorn; and many execs work there full-time too.

I spoke to a Thai guy there. He told me about the three main jobs available:

1. rig cleaner

2. roustabout (the guy who takes equipment to the people who need it)

3. roughneck (the guys who joins the pipes)

The Thai guy said he got paid 30,000 Baht per month, and that after a few years that could go up to 100,000 Baht per month. He worked 4 weeks on followed by 4 weeks off.

I've read that companies like Haliburton and Esso and PTT and Chevron all have office there.

wai.gif

TH

Not sure about that. I've seen lots of offices in Singha Nakhorn. Many top companies are there: Haliburton; Chevron; etc. Many execs stay at the Had Kiaw Resort Hotel in Singa Nakhorn; and many execs work there full-time too.

1. rig cleaner

The Thai guy said he got paid 30,000 Baht per month, and that after a few years that could go up to 100,000 Baht per month. He worked 4 weeks on followed by 4 weeks off.

Thai only jobs, no way will an expat get a look it.

Junior rig crew positions are filled locally and usually change nationality depending on where the drilling location is. Thai, Filipino, Indian, etc.

wai.gif

TH

1. rig cleaner

This is about the right range of money in the GOT for Thai nationals..although the THB 30k seems to be a little on the low side.....As an expat you will not get a look in on these jobs, if thats what you are thinking...you will never get a WP approved for these positions

Thai only jobs, no way will an expat get a look it.

Junior rig crew positions are filled locally and usually change nationality depending on where the drilling location is. Thai, Filipino, Indian, etc.

Correct....Western expats in the Gulf now on regular rotations (excluding personnel who come offshore ad hoc or project specific)

Superintendents - construction/facilities - a few not many

DSM's - Drill site Managers - a few

Well services supervsiors - a few

CSR's a few about

Senior production guys - a few

OIM's 1 or 2 left

At a guess would suggest there are most likely a 100 -150 or so western expats still working offshore in the GOT across all operators, maybe a few more Filipino, Indian, Malaysian or indonesian lads, but would say no more than 200 -250 tops if that (vast majority as crew on supply vessels/crew boats)

My numbers may be skewed as not sure exactly how many drilling rigs operating now in the Gulf, but the bottom line...very few Western expats in the gulf these days and getting fewer by the years

Edited by Soutpeel

"Malaysia Agip Oil Company Ltd"....is the company scamming you

"Agip Oil Malaysia".....Is the correct and legitmate name for the company

As stated previously these scammers are clever...on face value you may think these are one and the same....but they are not...biggrin.png

yeah...and this is why I sought information from thaivisa...in power generation I know all the employers and their clients but not in oil and gas...

many thanks again, soutpeel... and, to the mods, this dialog should be pinned somewhere so that folks are aware of the scammers...there are lotsa folks out there coming to this forum wanting to find employment locally...

wai.gif

TH

Halliburton Energy Services, Inc.

Landmark Graphics Division

15th Floor SUN Towers Building - B

No. 123 Vibhavadi-Rangsit Road

Ladyao, Chatuchak

Bangkok 10900

Most of the O&G companies have moved into Sun Towers since the Energy Complex was finished and all the PTT compainies moved there.

Chevron would be in the big ugly sorta blueish glass tower across Vibhavadi-Rangsit from PTT's ugly greenish glass tower. It would be the one with the big CHEVRON logo on it. thumbsup.gif

The exec's work in Bangkok (and play golf at Rajapruek) . The ones you saw living down south are field managment.

TH

Edited by thaihome