Where To Live? Family Friendly Compound Sathorn (Close To St Andrews)?

Harry62

Hello,

We're moving this summer to Bangkok with a 7 and 9 year old. We probably choose for St Andrews Sathorn international school and would like to live close by (meaning close to BNH hospital, if that helps).

I was wondering whether anybody might have ideas for family friendly compounds in this neighbourhood and more specifically compounds of a relatively small size and a bit of a cosy atmosphere (we think we don't really like these high-rise buildings with a "hotel-feel" kind of compound). Would be great if there's kids of the same age as ours.

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks

You said you dont like high rise, but you might want to think about that again. All the best buildings in that area are high rise.

What is your budget?

Theres places like "The Met, Sathorn Gardens, Frasier Suites.. " they all cost a pretty penny but they are some of the best in that area.

I think our housing budget is good (employer sponsored) so should not be an issue for a 4 bedroom appartment. We did see one nice smaller scale compound with two blocks of max 6 floors but we also found out that its inhabitants are 90% of one (EU) nationality (not being ours). Could still be an option, but I was wondering whether there might be more.

Thanks!

If you have work in Bangkok fair enough otherwise I wouldn't bring kids to Bangkok. Why not live by the seaside for the better air quality. Good schools in Chonburi Province which has many seaside resorts and do not necessarily have to be in Pattaya which is unsuitable for kids. Also much cheaper living these areas than in the City. Just a view. Not ttally experienced. My kids are grown and gone.

From what I've seen, there aren't too many of the compounds of the type the OP is looking for especially in that neck of the woods, the exception being in Sathorn Soi 1 where there is a compound which use to house the Australian embassy staff and has since been sold on to the private sector. I forget the name of it these days though.

If you have work in Bangkok fair enough otherwise I wouldn't bring kids to Bangkok. Why not live by the seaside for the better air quality. Good schools in Chonburi Province which has many seaside resorts and do not necessarily have to be in Pattaya which is unsuitable for kids. Also much cheaper living these areas than in the City. Just a view. Not ttally experienced. My kids are grown and gone.

\

Agreed... I moved slightly further out of town and commute... More bang for your buck..I would imagine that you wanting to be in Sathorn would have you in the banking sector?

There are a couple of such compounds in the area between Suan Plu and Narathiwat Road, specifically off of Narathiwat Soi 7 which runs through to Suan Plu (this is the soi that K. Kukrit's house is on). You will have to do some exploring to find them as there are several unnamed private roads that meander through the area.

There is a small compound on Suan Plu itself across from Somerset Park Suan Plu building. In the past there has been houses to rent posted on the gate. Having enquired once several years ago, it was a 4 bed for 200k a month.

TH