Thai Employees 'Restless': Survey

webfact

JOBS

Thai employees 'restless' : survey

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Many employees in Thailand have become restless in their work, with almost half saying they frequently think about quitting, according to the latest survey results from global workforce solutions leader, Kelly Services.

Many employees in Thailand are restless in their work, with almost half saying they frequently think about quitting, according to the latest survey by global workforce solutions leader, Kelly Services.

Almost twothirds (65 per cent) of those surveyed say they definitely intend to look for a new job with another employer within the next year.

"Employees have experienced a period of economic uncertainty, and as a result, are restless regarding future career goals. Unless employers can offer meaningful work and ongoing opportunities for growth, many feel it is in their best interest to keep their careers in a perpetual state of motion," said Wanna Assavakarint, managing director of Kelly Services Thailand.

The latest annual Kelly Global Workforce Index (KGWI) covered almost 170,000 people in 30 countries. They were asked to name factors they used to evaluate potential employers, the people who influenced their career choices, and the use of social media in making job decisions.

In Thailand, the Gen X generation (age 3148) are the most likely to switch employers, with 68 per cent planning to look for another position in the next year, compared with 62 per cent of both Gen Y (age 1930) and Baby Boomers (age 4966).

In spite of the signs of job restlessness, 60 per cent say they are happy in their jobs.

Almost threequarters of all respondents (71 per cent) say that their current employment provides them with a sense of 'meaning'. The ability to 'excel or develop' was identified by 76 per cent of respondents as the key to providing a sense of meaning.

"We see many people who are unhappy in their jobs and are actively searching for new opportunities. Others are reasonably content but are seeking greater engagement and meaning, and are prepared to walk away from situations that are not providing it," Wanna concludes.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-05-14

Thai employees 'feckless' : survey

​....ooops Freudian slip. sorry,.

Well not according to the teenage pregnancy stats released a while ago, they are getting lots of fecks.

Edited by Pseudolus
  • Like 1

Unhappiness goes hand in hand with poor employment practices. Discrimination based upon physical appearance, age, ethynic origin, religion and sex are the norm in Thailand. Throw in ridiculous working hours and a wage system that is unfair and what would you expect?

I agree on the ridiculous working hours, with ridiculous low output per hour.

But from the rest I don't see much. Which religion get discriminated?

The headline should say Incompetent Thai employees "restless"

Most of them not interested in carrier, and want more for money without improving their productivities. They only work harder when they think they get commission, not ethics in their work behavior, etc etc,

Thai government is making things worse by mandating salary increase without skill increase.

Today I went to Subway at MBK and the cashier was more interested to watch her small tv than helping customers

" 68 per cent planning to look for another position in the next year "

it's expensive to keep up with the latest iPhone's, new motorbikes

and souped up Mitsubishi's with tinted windows, spoilers

and the best music system money can buy... rolleyes.gif

What a useless survey.

"The latest annual Kelly Global Workforce Index (KGWI) covered almost 170,000 people in 30 countries. They were asked to name factors they used to evaluate potential employers, the people who influenced their career choices, and the use of social media in making job decisions."

They then give a list on Thailand. How does it compare with the other 29 countries.

I highly doubt it but Thailand could be the most satisfied.

Most of them not interested in carrier, and want more for money without improving their productivities. They only work harder when they think they get commission, not ethics in their work behavior, etc etc,

Thai government is making things worse by mandating salary increase without skill increase.

Today I went to Subway at MBK and the cashier was more interested to watch her small tv than helping customers

That is a damning condemnation of all Thai employees; I agree entirely. I had a haircut 3 days ago and, would you believe it, she was continually distracted by speaking to my wife?

Incidentally, why would they be interested in carriers?

Edited by pastitche

Unhappiness goes hand in hand with poor employment practices. Discrimination based upon physical appearance, age, ethynic origin, religion and sex are the norm in Thailand. Throw in ridiculous working hours and a wage system that is unfair and what would you expect?

i strongly disagree with you! yes while some business do practice methods you mentioned, it is rather a minority

they are lazy and need constant entertainment. if work becomes boring, they are gone without so much as a notice to employer

if they get tired after work, they quit, because apparently in Thailand work is NOT suppose to be tiring and one should be able to go party all night after full days work

they do not want to take responsibility for their action, have no loyalty or appreciation

I have had staff, who needed help financially to which i obliged, they wanted help with their personal problems, to which again i obliged only 4 months later have neither of them show up to work or give me any kind of notice

I had old staff in 60's who really should be thankfull for having any job, do nothing and try to steal

The salary plays no difference at all in their performance. I have had staff to the runner week after they had a wage rise.

I tried starting staff on very high salary, only to have them do less than nothing and again go MIA

There is no point discussing salary or minimum wage because if they do not show up to work or leave half way through the month- they will never have the money.

The ones who get minimum wage are ALWAYS the ones who just started to work for a company. ANY ONE OF THEM who sticks to the same job for at least 1 year i always on a higher salary and a number of other perks. BUT they do not! they change jobs every 1-3 months, so why should any employer invest time and loads of money only to be left in the cold over and over again.

One of my friends is an accounts payable for a large Japanese company.she gets pretty good salary, actually almost double to what many other people get. She had 5 day holiday during Songkran, went back to work for 3 days and decided to she wants another holiday for another week.

Despite being told that this was not possible as there was a huge back log, she still took the holiday

Just proves that salary and all other things you mentioned play no role at all in their attitude or performance

My missus works for an international company and she's doing very well. She works very hard, takes care and pride in her work and she has integrity. She's living proof of how a Thai with no status can do well if they're willing to work hard for it.

I hear too my times people who just give up and blame it on other people for their miserable lives. For the most part it's purely laziness.

Take responsibility for your own life. Deal with your own s***. And stop thinking the world owes you. This applies for everyone.

• Like 2

That is a damning condemnation of all Thai employees; I agree entirely. I had a haircut 3 days ago and, would you believe it, she was continually distracted by speaking to my wife?

Incidentally, why would they be interested in carriers?

depends what they are carrying? Might be very interesting.

they do not want to take responsibility for their action, have no loyalty or appreciation

performance

And that stems from a lack of accountability, from the top down no one is accountable for their actions, and no one dare point the finger.

No accountability - no sense of responsibility.

It's too ingrained I'm afraid.

Until the day when people who are supposed to set an example, who are either inept through apathy, incompetent by ability or corrupt by design, are taken to task for hanging on to positions they haven't earned and using the least amount of effort possible, it's just business as usual.

It is possible to lead by example ..... but you need some good examples.

Edited by Thaddeus
  • Like 1

This forum sometimes, not always, reflects a rather unimaginative collection of post-colonial attitudes. Readers who are interested in a more nuanced view of how job seeking, job changing, and changing wage and employment structures impact both industry and workers' lives in developing countries are well-advised to check out Leslie Chang's excellent "Factory Girls", concerning workers in Dongguan.

http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Girls-Village-Changing-China/dp/0385520174

Unhappiness goes hand in hand with poor .... trouble is Mr T told them all that they would all be rich in 6 months...and..?? They all want a go at corruption.. they see all the politicians doing it, the police doing it , immigration officers doing it... now everyone wants their fair share.. Roll on the jobs in corruption . Where do we sign on..?

Well I noticed that what we call laziness in our own countries is not the way they look at it. To many of them the job is also a social occasion. I have no facts at hand but when large international companies open plants here they are not stupid and they pretty well know what they are going to get.

In my humble opinion it is a cultural thing not one of laziness.

For what it's worth my ex in Canada manages a subway and has no trouble with the staff. She quit hiring young people and tries for women of Indian decent. It took her a while to come to the solution and she had many problems getting to it but she is there now. So I really don't think Thailand has a hold on the attitude that most of the posters here claim it has.

As I said earlier what about the other 29 nations in the survey they might make Thailand look good or maybe no good.

Just love these surveys that give part of the results. Does any one know any thing about Kelly Global Workforce Index (KGWI) are they a credible source or just another what do you want the results to be so we will know who to question and who not to question.

It's a country of opposites. Where one part of the employees is restless and maybe even stressed out of their skulls, the other part seems relaxed and loving their jobs! I went to BIg C yesterday and a cluster of at least 8 employees was watching a DVD on a huge displayed flat screen! They were clearly enjoying the movie and didn't even notice the customers passing by. 2 sides of the same coin!

I don't suppose that those making disparaging comments know what the employment sectors are in Thailand?

In approximate percentages; 37% are in Services and 49% in agriculture and 14% in manufacturing/industry.

Only 4% of the work force is unionized. In an environment where work safety, job training or even the encouragement of workers to go back to school part time are a rarity, it should not come as surprise that many workers are unmotivated.

I don't suppose that those making disparaging comments know what the employment sectors are in Thailand?

In approximate percentages; 37% are in Services and 49% in agriculture and 14% in manufacturing/industry.

Only 4% of the work force is unionized. In an environment where work safety, job training or even the encouragement of workers to go back to school part time are a rarity, it should not come as surprise that many workers are unmotivated.

While i admire your support for the working class, may i suggest you open a business here or get a job to see the reality rather than some Marxist theory's

When I meet a Thai friend that I haven't seen for a few weeks, I always ask "Where are you working now?" Not often I get "Same same." as a reply. My friend Huat (50s, glasses, excellent English, proven honesty) seems intent on trying every occupation except prostitute (AFAIK).

My next door neighbour, over about 5 years, seems to change his job...........not as often as his underpants, but every time he buys a new pair. My g/f had difficulty with the concept of Long Service Leave - I wonder why.

My better half works for a SME in BKK and the owner looks after his staff, ~150, very well. I have met him a few times and IMHO you could not ask for a better boss. Maybe it has to do with the fact that a lot of the staff are educated beyond ordinary school level. Please don't stereotype all business owners as money hungry slave drivers. This guy does very well (makes plenty of loot) yet his staff are appreciative of how he looks after his staff.

• Like 1

I guess I am a creature of habit. I eat lunch at the same place 2 or 3 times a week, (same 20 employees for 4 years) I go the same mall 3 times a week (Lotus, I see 30 or 40 same employees for three years). Barber shop same two guys 5 years. Fruit stand same mom and son 5 years. Copy shop same family 20 years. Clinic same husband and wife doctors 10 years. Beer bar, same momma san 25 years. Condo manager/owner 35 years (maids and maintenance seem to last 3 or 4 years). My GF and her close circle of management and engineering friends 6 years. I seem to change GF's once every three years and I have been doing that for 20 years.

I worked for the same people 6 years and left because they tried to take advantage of my laid back attitude. I imagine I know 100 or so ladies who work in the entertainment industry. 20 seem to stay constant and 80 rotate or turn over or whatever you want to call it. The marriages are the most interesting to watch. They get married and are gone for a few months then come back part time or on call.

I was in the hospitality business before I came to Thailand 100% average turnover. My turnover in people was 20%. I think it is the half empty or half full syndrome.

i strongly disagree with you! yes while some business do practice methods you mentioned, it is rather a minority

they are lazy and need constant entertainment. if work becomes boring, they are gone without so much as a notice to employer

if they get tired after work, they quit, because apparently in Thailand work is NOT suppose to be tiring and one should be able to go party all night after full days work

I have had staff, who needed help financially to which i obliged, they wanted help with their personal problems, to which again i obliged only 4 months later have neither of them show up to work or give me any kind of notice

I had old staff in 60's who really should be thankfull for having any job, do nothing and try to steal

Yep, thats about right!

I always hold back pay and tell them "two weeks notice or they lose it" - so usually they lose it...

Shans seem to be especially good at throwing little bitch fits and storming off the job - usually triggered by something they did themselves and can't accept any responsibility for.

Edited by Chopperboy

My wife is hilltribe (heavily discriminated against in Thailand), gained her BA on weekends, now working on her Masters while working a very difficult job in a refugee camp w/o electricity or phone signal from Mon to Fri (mostly) and then spends time on the weekends (when not in the office) on prep work. As I travel around the country (for about 18 years now) I am constantly in awe of the backbreaking work I see performed by the villagers in their fields and by the laborers on the construction sites. Yes, I have encountered many who didn't seem to exhibit much in the way of energy or interest in their jobs but really, look around. I find this to be a country full of hard working people.

My wife is hilltribe (heavily discriminated against in Thailand), gained her BA on weekends, now working on her Masters while working a very difficult job in a refugee camp w/o electricity or phone signal from Mon to Fri (mostly) and then spends time on the weekends (when not in the office) on prep work. As I travel around the country (for about 18 years now) I am constantly in awe of the backbreaking work I see performed by the villagers in their fields and by the laborers on the construction sites. Yes, I have encountered many who didn't seem to exhibit much in the way of energy or interest in their jobs but really, look around. I find this to be a country full of hard working people.

The people I see in the fields and on the constructions sites are nearly all immigrants..

I've been in Bkk for about one and a half years. Having been in the construction trade in my young years, I'm interested in knowing how much money the construction workers make while working on the huge high-rise condos and malls. In the US, these are good, well-paying jobs but I get the sense that is not true in Thailand. Does anyone know what these workers make?