Taking Your Kids Back To England

moddeydhoo

Does anyone have any useful advise for repatriation back to the UK. Have a little lad 6 years old and want to take him and my wife back to UK to live. Concerned about schools and his english skills. Sad but true gong to have to leave Thailand because its just too dam_n hard staying here now. I am not an oldie so need to get work back in the UK because there is nothing here and believe me I have tried a few things. Useful advise please not the usual snide remarks. Thanks

If you are married, if the son is registered within that marriage, and if the British Embassy accepts the paperwork then I see no problem in getting passports for your family and then you can go to the UK with no issues. The Embassy or nearest Consulate is the place to check.

Thanks for the prompt reply. There are issues, as not legally married and son born before the cut off date when it became easier. Not registered either. I know I have been a slackass but I never thought I would have to face the dread of returning to the UK. It is also more off a question of how a little Thai lad will integrate into UK life style and schools particularly with a language barrier.

Are you the registered father of the boy ? The issues are really for the Consulate/Embassy but integrating into modern multi-racial UK should not be a major issue. Perhaps some special English classes would help with that. Kids are very adaptable and quick to learn.

I am tempted to suggest that you first apply for visas for a family visit to UK and maybe when there it could be sorted out easier than at the British Embassy who can be difficult here. But that is a risk.

Yes registered on birth certificate if thats what you mean, he has my surname. I have ben told that if I officially marry here in Thailand and then go for a fiancee visa it should be reasonably straightforward. Problems are, I have no job to go back to and also no residence and guess what........now out of work no substantial funds in the bank.

Appreciate your time. Thanks.

Another idea

Get married, move back to the UK with the kid as a single parent family.

Tell the Social that you are only a single parent because Immigration won't let your wife in.

You will be able to Queue jump housing and be given a 2 bedroom house/flat within 8 weeks.

(Temporary accommodation will be provided immediately)

Once you have the living quarters + all the benefits you can apply for.

Then is the time to apply for a settlement Visa for your wife, social will support your application.

(State won't be supporting her as they have already provided living quarters for you and son)

As to the schooling.

I have previously encountered Portuguese families in the UK with children aged 12 and under, within one year of being placed in a UK state school, they all spoke English fluently. Hard on the kid for a short time, but they learn very quickly.

Please folks, I am not posting on the rights or wrongs of doing things this way, just that it works and very quickly.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Thirteen years ago ,we took our boy to England,he only spoke Thai ,within 6 months his english was good(they soon pick it up in school) when we came back here his english was perfect as was his Thai ,he is now off to university in BKK i can not comment on the other problems but integrating is not a problem for young ones dont worry he will love it after the first shock ,but kids somehow manage to communicate no matter what.

Edited by Rimmer
Font

the idea that you get married,come home, get a job and build a life and home for your wife and son seems to be the best at present, the UKBA at present is not listening to any hard luck stories(and why should they) you could do what the above poster advises and bring your boy home and rely on the social services but again you will be getting into a longer battle on this than getting a job and paying your own way, all depends on your attitude to life and the kind of life you want to provide for your family....a life on the social is nothing to yearn for even though sitting on ones arse may be the ideal life for some...

I returned from Thailand after living/working there for 8 years, it was hard but it's not impossible, just depends on how much back bone you have!

You are fretting over nothing about the boy and language...besides you getting him back here and giving him a decent education in comparisson to whats on offer out there is priority surely?

Best of luck with this, this is my worst nightmare, and I have 2 kids.

My only advice is it may be much better for everyone if you go back first and get a few things sorted....also I would say that your sons language barrier is one of the least of your worries, he will soon pick up English, although i do wonder why he cannot speak at least some English now?

With no job, money, residence etc, plus the issue of your wife settling in the UK, you are in for one hell of a battle and I genuinely wish you well.

Your kid will adapt without any problem. I would be more concerned about your wife; has she lived in the UK before?

Have you considered moving to Singapore or Hong Kong? Both have plenty of business and employment opportunities, and both are close enough that you could initially go alone to get up-and-running (and just pop back at the weekends); importantly living in either of these cities will be less of a culture shock for your wife (both have a Thai area for example)

If you do decide to go back to the UK, I would suggest you move to London as it is most international city with the best opportunities for money-making, a large (but not well-organised) Thai community (which could also entail job opportunities for your wife if she is so inclined), and importantly the schools in London are experienced in integrating non-English speaking children into the system

Edit: I forgot to mention... please ignore the other poster's recommendation to sponge of the state; if buddhism is correct, such people will be re-born as tapeworms

Edited by brit1984

At 6 Years old he will get on just fine. My Stepdaughter came 3 years ago at the tender age of 12. Her English is near perfect She will be in her final year next year and she is doing just fine.

At 6 years of age he will soon get into the swing of things. It will be a bit of a culture shock at first. it wont take him long at that age He will get support in class to help him to integrate.

You can get the UK birth cert and passport at the same time, cost is approx 12,000 Baht..you will need your birth cert also..email the UK Embassy in BKK and they will reply promptly with exactly what you need to do.

If you have already made the decision then best of luck but UK at present is suffering from mass unemployment and rampant inflation..if you want to check out food prices just look at Tesco UK Shopping...30pence for 1 egg!!!

Where in the UK will you be going, do you have suppport from family and freinds, where will you initially stay?..As for your son at school, translators and classroom assistants will help him...the majority of schools in the UK now have a larger percentage of children born to foreign parents than UK kids so he wont feel left out..

Yes you will get assistance but seriously think about if you can get work and where you will live...do you want to live on a sink council estate thats ridden with drugs and crime,being burgaled on a regular basis and scared to go out the front door.....The UK has changed beyond regonition the past 7 or 8 years and really is a cesspit, so think hard

Where in the UK will you be going, do you have suppport from family and freinds, where will you initially stay?..As for your son at school, translators and classroom assistants will help him...the majority of schools in the UK now have a larger percentage of children born to foreign parents than UK kids so he wont feel left out..

The 2001 UK census found that 7.9% of the population of the UK was non-indigenous so how come that the majority of children in the UK were born to foreign parents?

Are you saying that 7% of the population is responsible for more than 50% of the school population? Or did you just miss out on all the arithmetic lessons at school?

The 2001 UK census found that 7.9% of the population of the UK was non-indigenous so how come that the majority of children in the UK were born to foreign parents?

Are you saying that 7% of the population is responsible for more than 50% of the school population? Or did you just miss out on all the arithmetic lessons at school?

Please read my post carefully..7-8years..after 2004..2001 census is 11 years old and isnt a true reflection of 2012....Census information in general can be incorrect.Lets not spoil the thread by debating UK immigration, anyone that lives in reallity and not in their glasshouse is truly aware what the UK is like now....so the OPs kid will not have any problems feeling left out or different and with the amount of help schools receive in teaching foreign kids English he will be up to speed in not time.

Please read my post carefully..7-8years..after 2004..2001 census is 11 years old and isnt a true reflection of 2012....Census information in general can be incorrect.Lets not spoil the thread by debating UK immigration, anyone that lives in reallity and not in their glasshouse is truly aware what the UK is like now....so the OPs kid will not have any problems feeling left out or different and with the amount of help schools receive in teaching foreign kids English he will be up to speed in not time.

What you forget to say is those translators and assistants are for Urdu and Hindi speakers.

I'm not debating immigration. I'm just pointing out your fallacy that the majority (i.e at least 51%) of children in UK schools were born to foreign parents when non-indigenous people constitute less than 10% of the UK population.

The poster at 2 had it right. OP needs to contact his embassy, and find out what he needs to do.

Asking about adapting, language problems etc, is down the road, quite a long way.

Also the OP has not concentrated, on what he really needs. Does he simply need money, or does he need to relocate his family to the U.K. What is the man trying to achieve?? We also have no info, about what the mother thinks about all of this.

I know a number of Thai who've come to the UK to work and who have bought their children with them. They seem to split into two types. Those parents who keep their children in a closed Thai environment where the children have little chance to mis with the locals. These children often struggle for years to become fluent in English. Then there are the parents who allow their children to mix freely. The children are near enough fluent within a year or so.

The poster at 2 had it right. OP needs to contact his embassy, and find out what he needs to do.

Asking about adapting, language problems etc, is down the road, quite a long way.

Also the OP has not concentrated, on what he really needs. Does he simply need money, or does he need to relocate his family to the U.K. What is the man trying to achieve?? We also have no info, about what the mother thinks about all of this.

Thanks to everyone for some useful points. What I am considering is relocating my family back to England. The mother is more than happy as she realises that my little lad stands a better chance of getting a better education in the UK and is behind the idea 100% My original question may not have been clear enough, ideally i would like to hear from people who have experience of relocating their family back to the UK and what are the social and cultural issues that I might come across.

If you've been living here for the past six years then surely your son's English can't be that bad?! I know plenty of luk krueng kids and they speak both Thai and the other language that their foreign father/mother speaks.

My 3 and a half year old certainly understands alot of what i say to him in English, but definately needs encouragement to speak any English.

OP, i wish you good luck if indeed you end up going back to the UK, but by all accounts the UK is on its arse right now and with very little opportunity to find employment, so unless you have an in demand trade or skill then you might find that you end up living on benefits which will not be easy.

Your son should not have any problems picking up English or adapting into the change of culture. If i were you i would carefully select the area that you would prefer him to grow up in, i mean Brixton or Toxteth wouldnt be ideal would they?

If you've been living here for the past six years then surely your son's English can't be that bad?! I know plenty of luk krueng kids and they speak both Thai and the other language that their foreign father/mother speaks.

My 3 and a half year old certainly understands alot of what i say to him in English, but definately needs encouragement to speak any English.

OP, i wish you good luck if indeed you end up going back to the UK, but by all accounts the UK is on its arse right now and with very little opportunity to find employment, so unless you have an in demand trade or skill then you might find that you end up living on benefits which will not be easy.

Your son should not have any problems picking up English or adapting into the change of culture. If i were you i would carefully select the area that you would prefer him to grow up in, i mean Brixton or Toxteth wouldnt be ideal would they?

80% of the UK population don't live in London. It isn't the only place in the country where jobs and housing are available.