250Cc Motorbike Insurance

In Honda today to order my CBR 250 picking up tomnorrow, I asked about insurance, they say you can not get 1st class insurance for 250cc only the Thai insurance which only covers accident to you and nothing else, my mate bought the Kawasaki 250R last month and was charged 17,000bht for Insurance, whats going on?

They're talking nonsense, I got first class insurance on a 250 Ninja from Kawasaki, cost about 8000 baht I think (can't remember it was ages ago). Private insurance companies do it as well, 17k is way too much though - I pay less than that for a GSXR600.

It's still available, but not every dealer sells it. We sell it here at Sumet. For the non-ABS it's 6,000 for first hand and 6,500 for second hand. For the ABS model it's 6,200 for first hand and 6,600 for second hand. Best of Luck.

Brian

They're talking nonsense, I got first class insurance on a 250 Ninja from Kawasaki, cost about 8000 baht I think (can't remember it was ages ago). Private insurance companies do it as well, 17k is way too much though - I pay less than that for a GSXR600.

Kawasaki gave this reason for the cost the of 17,000bht many many accidents on 250cc bikes so insurance high!!

It's still available, but not every dealer sells it. We sell it here at Sumet. For the non-ABS it's 6,000 for first hand and 6,500 for second hand. For the ABS model it's 6,200 for first hand and 6,600 for second hand. Best of Luck.

Brian

Can I go to my car insuarnce company and get 1st class insurance with them? Tokio Marine(Lockton)

Edited by kawapower
  • Like 1

Brian

Cheers, If you sell Insurance can you supply a contact number, have you got an office in Phuket?

Kawasaki gave this reason for the cost the of 17,000bht many many accidents on 250cc bikes so insurance high!!

Sweet jesus above!!

It was 13,188Bhat 1st class for my 2012 Ninja 650

1st class for the 250 was 10,045baht last time i asked in my local dealer and that was last week :)

Nonsense- that's what I pay for the GSXR1000. Sounds like you should try to find a more honest dealer...

Nonsense- that's what I pay for the GSXR1000. Sounds like you should try to find a more honest dealer...

I will let my mate know as it was him that was charged 17k for 1st class insurance by Kawasaki!!

I will let my mate know as it was him that was charged 17k for 1st class insurance by Kawasaki!!

wheres everybody now who said only honda dealers were greedy price gouging vultures ? :D

Since when is Kawasaki an insurance company??? coffee1.gif

Your friend paid 17k for 1st class insurance on a 250cc bike? What a sucker! whistling.gif

BTW, what did you pay to insure your Z1000?

No Kawasaki is not an insurance company, they are obviously in contact with an Insurance company which I believe to be called Lockton but not sure, My mate and I was there together when he was buying his 250R, I was also considering the Z1000 at the time, I asked the dealer how much the insurance was for the Z, answer 12,000 bht, I also asked about the Insurance for the 250 reply 17,000bht, I queried the amount, dealer answer, many accidents with this bike so expensive!! I think I will tell my mate to call the insurance company and find out 1st hand what the premium is!!

I will post the answer after he has contacted them.

Edited by kawapower

No, Kawasaki dealer charged way too much for a product. A really big difference whistling.gif

You have to be careful nowadays, even with insurances laugh.png

No, Kawasaki dealer charged way too much for a product. A really big difference whistling.gif

You have to be careful nowadays, even with insurances laugh.png

Well the question is have Kawasaki ripped of my mate or is it true that the Kawa 250R has had many accidents in Thailand bumping up the cost of the Insurance!!

I believe this could be In Phuket though says it all really never forget the time I was charged 100 bht just to park my car on a dust track at the side of the road while the misses went to take a picture of the beach never go back to that place

Here we go a reply from AA insure. Insurance for the Honda CBR250 ABS

Good Morning Ken

Thank you for your inquiry

1st Class (comprehensive) for your bike is 12,238 Baht

Best Regards

Peter

AA INSURANCE BROKERS CO., LTD.

565 / 62 Moo 10 (Next to Big C South Pattaya)

Nong Prue,

Banglamung,

And yes Phuket.

Edited by kawapower

Insurance does vary from place to place.

This is the current prices in Bangkok for cover on ALL of their big bikes (the insurance price is the 2nd column after the monthly installment plans)

post-59428-0-50961900-1337160446_thumb.j

That was a very good price on the Z1000 you got Mr Kawapower

• 2 weeks later...

I was also told by the dealer that they did not have first class insurance because there were too many accidents on 250s.

Got the same quote for CRF250L in CM. Friend recently bought a KLX and paid about the same, but didn't ask where he got it.

Just out of curiosity, is there anyone who doesn't have first class on their 250 or above bike? If not what insurance do you have. Not trying to start a debate, but I have looked at a combination voluntary 3rd party + the honda theft/fire/damage, but seems to be quite a bit of difference in coverage.

I was also told by the dealer that they did not have first class insurance because there were too many accidents on 250s.

Got the same quote for CRF250L in CM. Friend recently bought a KLX and paid about the same, but didn't ask where he got it.

Just out of curiosity, is there anyone who doesn't have first class on their 250 or above bike? If not what insurance do you have. Not trying to start a debate, but I have looked at a combination voluntary 3rd party + the honda theft/fire/damage, but seems to be quite a bit of difference in coverage.

I don't insure my track bike...

The Honda dealer where i bought my bike didn't even offer 1st class insurance only the theft option which i think is pointless, (you may aswell pay a couple of thousand more for 1st class somewhere else) The cost for repairs for your CBR will never be that high so 3rd party+ etc isn't that bad, but the real thing you have to consider is if you are hurt in an accident. That cost could be huge. Look around and phone some companies. Ask Brian at Sumet cycle, he can arrange(unless things have changed) very affordable 1st class insurance for you.

CBR 250 first class insurance rates here at Sumet are as follows.

ABS: New - 6,200 / Second hand 6,600

Non ABS: New - 6,000 / Second hand 6,500

The coverage is great and it also includes a provision for theft. One of our customers has had two major crashes with about 20,000 worth of damage both times. Other than a small deductable, he didn't have to pay a thing. However, I imagine his premiums are going to be a bit higher next year.

The coverage is great and it also includes a provision for theft. One of our customers has had two major crashes with about 20,000 worth of damage both times. Other than a small deductable, he didn't have to pay a thing. However, I imagine his premiums are going to be a bit higher next year.

So how do we contact you in order to take out Insurance, do you have an office in Phuket?

So how do we contact you in order to take out Insurance, do you have an office in Phuket?

I just sent an e-mail with all the details. No need to come to the shop. Everything can be taken care of via fax and e-mail. If anyone else is interested in first class insurance for the CBR 250, you can either send a TV PM or an e-mail to [email protected] . Thanks.

Brian

I just sent an e-mail with all the details. No need to come to the shop. Everything can be taken care of via fax and e-mail. If anyone else is interested in first class insurance for the CBR 250, you can either send a TV PM or an e-mail to [email protected] . Thanks.

Brian

Cheers.

Here are the coverage amounts for the first class insurance:

Third Party liability

Bodily injury: 300,000 baht per person / 10,000,000 per accident

Property damage: 500,000 baht per accident

Own damage, theft and fire

Own damage: 69,900-80,000 depending on model*

*500 baht deductable pre accident

Theft/fire: 69,900-80,000 depending on model

Personal accident

Loss of life, dismemberment, permanent disability: 100,000 baht for both driver and passenger

Medical expenses: 50,000 baht

Bail bond/accident: 200,000 baht