Thai Wife With Two Names Visa Issue

I have a delima on what to do regarding my Thai wife (name for the sake of this topic is Duan) she also has an Australian passportr in the name of (Tina) she now has an entry stamp into Thailand in her Thai Passport under the name of Duan so she has entered Thailand as a Thai citizen so no Visa required.

Now if she tries to leave Thailand they will not allow her to leave as the air ticket back to Australia is in the name of Tina and her Thai passport does not have any PR stamps even though she is an Australian resident so my solution is :

1. We travel to the Thai/Cambodia border crossing via Hat Tien/Koh Kong, she (Duan) stamps out of Thailand with her Thai passport,
  2. She then walks over to the Cambodia entry point and uses her Australian Passport with an E Visa in the name of Tina which will give her entry into Cam using her Australian passport.
  3. She will also re enter Thailand using her Aust Passport
  4. She can then leave Thailand using her Aust name of Tina as per her air ticket name.
  5. This will also give her the ability when she returns from Aust again she can also enter Thailand with her Thai passport in the name of Duan as she has a departure stamp in it.

Any suggestions ?

Can't she just show her "Tina" passport at check-in and her "Duan" passport at Thai immigration? whistling.gif

And then show her "Tina" passport when she land's in Oz?

Or is that too simple? wink.png

RAZZ

EDIT - I'm sure with the same surname you should be ok thumbsup.gif

Edited by RAZZELL

leave bangkok with thai passport, enter aus with aus passport. am i missing something?

I think the OP is worried about checking in with the airline...the ticket is in a different name.

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

then she can check-in with her oz passport, go to the imigration and give her thai one. if he mentions the names, then she can show her oz passport and say she got married.

or if he really wants, go get her thai passport changed to her married name and not ever have these problems again! which would be a good idea

Edited by hotwinter
  • Like 1

then she can check-in with her oz passport, go to the imigration and give her thai one. if he mentions the names, then she can show her oz passport and say she got married.

or if he really wants, go get her thai passport changed to her married name and not ever have these problems again! which would be a good idea

OK I think this may work but just to be clear

Her Thai passport is in her Thai name and her Australian passport is in her Australian name so they are different. The reason for having this is related to real estate so must have a thai name/ID/Passport.

I can't remember, So at immigration do they ask for your boarding pass ? I thought they did so immigration may challenge her regarding them stamping her Thai passport for leaving even though when she arrived they stapmed her Thai passport on arrival this was only after a very lengthy conversation with Thai immigration.

The reason for having this is related to real estate so must have a thai name/ID/Passport.

Rubbish!!! to own land in Thailand a Thai only needs a Thai ID and asssociated Tabien Baan. My wife has done this for the last twenty years, she has never been allowed by me to have a Thai Passport since obtaining Australian Citizenship. She and our kids travel on Australian Passports and pay visa fees when staying at our home if more than 30 days.

The "real reason" is she was trying to avoid paying a fee for a visa if staying more than 30 days on an Australian Passport. A trap many Thai's are falling into, by shuffling passports, since airport and airline security measures have been upgraded.

OK I think this may work but just to be clear

Her Thai passport is in her Thai name and her Australian passport is in her Australian name so they are different. The reason for having this is related to real estate so must have a thai name/ID/Passport.

Assuming the Australian Passport is in your wife's married name, Thai ID and Thai Passport can be changed to same name as Australian Passport, then registered name on Tabian Baan and Chanote can be changed at Amphur Office and Land Office...no problem, we have done it.

The reason for having this is related to real estate so must have a thai name/ID/Passport.

Rubbish!!! to own land in Thailand a Thai only needs a Thai ID and asssociated Tabien Baan. My wife has done this for the last twenty years, she has never been allowed by me to have a Thai Passport since obtaining Australian Citizenship. She and our kids travel on Australian Passports and pay visa fees when staying at our home if more than 30 days.

The "real reason" is she was trying to avoid paying a fee for a visa if staying more than 30 days on an Australian Passport. A trap many Thai's are falling into, by shuffling passports, since airport and airline security measures have been upgraded.

Why do you forbid your wife from making use of the nationality she had at birth? I find this very odd.

Nothing wrong with holding and using two nationalities. No trap. And no avoiding fees for visas...she is Thai too you know?!

• Like 1

If she owns house and land it can only be in her Thai name so she must maintain a Thai ID in her Thai name and susequently her Thai passport is in her Thai name.

In regard to having a Thai passport yes I would rather not have to pay Visa fees for a Thai citizen as we stay for periods of between 3 and 6 months or maybe longer and we travel into other countries ie. Canbodia, Vietnam etc. I am a strong believer in, if you don't have to pay for something then why would you ie. a thai person having to pay for a Visa.

Edited by mmail2you
  • Like 1

If she owns house and land it can only be in her Thai name so she must maintain a Thai ID in her Thai name and susequently her Thai passport is in her Thai name.

Correct but the name does not have to be her Thai born name

My wife owns a house and land...when we married she changed her family name to mine...she changed her Thai ID to my name and her Thai Passport to my name...she then changed her Tabien Bann to her new name, she didn't bother changing the name on the Chanote associated with the house but she did change the name on the Chanote for some other land she own.

When you married, they would have given her a "change of name certificate". The new family name sounds English BUT is translated into Thai. So, my wife has a Passport with an English family name ('cos that's how they do it), she has a Thai ID card with her English name And her Thai name, she has a Tabien Baan with her Thai name and a Chanote with her Thai name ie. translations of my family name into Thai.

So she can own a house and land in a Thai name, correct, but that Thai name can be a translation of her new married name, ie. your family name, translated into Thai.

Correct but the name does not have to be her Thai born name

My wife owns a house and land...when we married she changed her family name to mine...she changed her Thai ID to my name and her Thai Passport to my name...she then changed her Tabien Bann to her new name, she didn't bother changing the name on the Chanote associated with the house but she did change the name on the Chanote for some other land she own.

When you married, they would have given her a "change of name certificate". The new family name sounds English BUT is translated into Thai. So, my wife has a Passport with an English family name ('cos that's how they do it), she has a Thai ID card with her English name And her Thai name, she has a Tabien Baan with her Thai name and a Chanote with her Thai name ie. translations of my family name into Thai.

So she can own a house and land in a Thai name, correct, but that Thai name can be a translation of her new married name, ie. your family name, translated into Thai.

Thanks I will go to the Umphur and investigate

Thai passport in married name means that Thai ID must also be in married name. Not a good idea.

Problems buying land and many others because of officials asking all sorts of questions and deliberatly making problems. Much better put Australian passport in Thai name.

My wife has one name (married name) on her US green card, and other name (Thai name) on passport and Thai ID card. We just make sure to buy tickets to/from Thailand in Thai name, and then she checks in for international flights with passport. When she arrives back in US, still shows green card. Have been doing this for 5 years, haven't had trouble.

We've had minor problems with this as we have both Aus and UK passport, to the stage where supervisors and then supervisors supervisor was called over (return ticket, how can we get back into Aus if we have a UK passport with no visa in it), AND we have the same name on both passports. I can't imagine the problems when the name doesn't tie in wih the passport. Fotunately for us, the problems seemed to have disappeared in the last 10 years or so when they stopped stamping you in and out of first UK then Aus. It's in fact advantageous now as we choose which passport has the most pages when we hit Asia from either direction - the full page visa from so many countries in this part of the world (then stamped on the next page) means they fill up very quickly. Four years exactly, and we'll be getting new ones from both this year as we've heard it's easier than getting extra pages put in. The only drawback to our system is that enter on one passport, you have to use the same one until you return to either Aus or UK. And we chose the wrong one the year we went to Laos where Aussies are charged more than Brits for the visa. We can't be the only ones, surely there should be some common sense shown by allegedly educated officials (and I'm not knocking Thai's - we copped it in Aus and UK.

Mmail2you, there was a time, many decades ago, when a Thai woman married to a foreigner was not allowed to buy land in Thailand, but ever since then no restriction whatsoever applies.

Sent from my Nexus S using Thaivisa Connect App

This is absolutely correct but some land offices for instance the one at Sattahip insist that if a Thai woman is married to a foreigner that she can not own land and bribery doesn't work there, in next-door Pattaya the the girl is allowed to own the land regardless of her marital status.

Regards the passport problem we had been using passports with two names for years, the airline staff are only worried about the possibility of the ticket holder being refused entry as they get fined very heavily.

I had a similar problem with my wife a few years back - the China Visa she had was in her married name and her Thai passport was in her maiden name - I would if I was you, simply use which ever passport that the ticket name is in to get your wifes boarding pass from the check in, then hand over the Thai passport at immigration - I now do a similar thing for my son who checks in at the airline desk with his UK passport - no entry exit stamps for Thailand - the airline staff don't care!

Then when you get to immigration use the Thai passport - again at this point the immigration staff don't care about entry visas to the onward destination - they assume that as long as tghe airline has cleared them for travel, that is the end of story.

Good luck

Mmail2you, there was a time, many decades ago, when a Thai woman married to a foreigner was not allowed to buy land in Thailand, but ever since then no restriction whatsoever applies.

Sent from my Nexus S using Thaivisa Connect App

It is not that many decades ago. A ministerial regulation of 1999 ended this discrimination against Thai women with foreign husbands or cohabitees. Since then Thai men and women with foreign husbands or cohabitees are bound by the same regulations, i.e. they have to demonstrate that the money was theirs and that the property will not become part of the conjugal property. This is easily done by both parties signing a standard form at the Land Office. It doesn't matter what kind of name is used to buy land, as long as the owner of the land has a valid Thai ID card. A friend of mine who is a "look krung" owns land with a surname that couldn't be more English. It is amazing that people go to the trouble to retain Thai surnames and/or not get married at all to own land when neither makes any difference to the Land Department.

Edited by Arkady

I knew an American woman with dual nationality through being born in Thailand who had totally different names in her Thai and American passports. Her solution for ease of travel was to obtain an affidavit from the US Embassy to verify that the owner of the two names was one and the same person.