Pound Hits 50, How Long Will The Trend Last?

Here's one for the Brits. Why the UK is up the Swannee.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ll_01.shtml#one

Could be on a par with the Germans. But no!

Little deluded brains, on a little bankrupt piece of ruined island, felt they were to secure their place as a World Power.cheesy.gif

Not much changed really, with Gourden "I saved the World" Brown (what is that guy doing nowadays? Maybe looking up his kilt to find out what went wrong) and the two Schoolboys telling the powerful Angie 'NEIN' Merkel what to do.

People who are jelous that they were not born British always try to knock us ,never mind son ,just keep on posting and thinking your lot are the best.smile.png we understand

Fish and chips.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Little deluded brains, on a little bankrupt piece of ruined island, felt they were to secure their place as a World Power.cheesy.gif

Not much changed really, with Gourden "I saved the World" Brown (what is that guy doing nowadays? Maybe looking up his kilt to find out what went wrong) and the two Schoolboys telling the powerful Angie 'NEIN' Merkel what to do.

People who are jelous that they were not born British always try to knock us ,never mind son ,just keep on posting and thinking your lot are the best.smile.png we understand

From the spelling and grammar I guess that you must have been through the UK schooling system. Tough luck, old chap, I also never understood grammar and sentence construction until I moved abroad and studied German.

I am British too, shit happens.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

I was unfortunate enough to have been born British, I would swap my passport for a passport from any of the major EU countries, Canada, Thailand, Equador, etc. Not the USA, Australia or NZ as they treat their pensioners even worse than the UK.

Regardless of how they USED to treat their pensioners, we're all screwed in the future. Unfortunately, pay as you go will never succeed with shrinking populations and collapsing economies. They should have been setting up independent ( of government ) funds years ago, but it's too late now for the baby boomers. I expect the "death" rate to be increasing significantly over the next 10 or so years.

I was unfortunate enough to have been born British, I would swap my passport for a passport from any of the major EU countries, Canada, Thailand, Equador, etc. Not the USA, Australia or NZ as they treat their pensioners even worse than the UK.

Regardless of how they USED to treat their pensioners, we're all screwed in the future. Unfortunately, pay as you go will never succeed with shrinking populations and collapsing economies. They should have been setting up independent ( of government ) funds years ago, but it's too late now for the baby boomers. I expect the "death" rate to be increasing significantly over the next 10 or so years.

That's amazing.

so tell me what is the old age pension in Thailand at the moment ,higher than my British pension? would love to know

so tell me what is the old age pension in Thailand at the moment ,higher than my British pension? would love to know

I can answer that one.

My total NI payments approx 180,000 ukp in my pocket Vs 6,000 ukp pa fixed British pension.

And before Bendix jumps in, pointing out all the other benefits it gave me.

National Health, not needed, company provided private health care for me and family. Unemployment, never needed as not a loser. And to add insult, my health care incurred additional income tax.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

I can answer that one.

My total NI payments approx 180,000 ukp in my pocket Vs 6,000 ukp pa fixed British pension.

National Health, not needed, company provided private health care for me and family. Unemployment, never needed as not a loser. And to add insult, my health care incurred additional income tax.

I believe he was talking about a pension for a THAI person compared to your UK pension, why is unemployment only for losers. was made redundant in the early 90's and out of work for a bit, claimed the dole and was thankful to be able to. You saying we are all losers ??

...... why is unemployment only for losers. was made redundant in the early 90's and out of work for a bit, claimed the dole and was thankful to be able to. You saying we are all losers ??

Isn't that the definition of people who don't have the education, skills or expertise to earn their own money?

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Just hang on for thirty years and you'll be quids inthumbsup.gif Although if you're in Thailand the 20 Quid/day will buy you a Somtam. sticky rice and Chang lunch.cheesy.gif

The Thai Social Security system pays retirees about THB5,200 a month.

And how much did the Thai contribute to get that amount?

Currently it's four hundred and forty Baht a month although the amount changes over time.

Well in that case i am glad i get my British pension ,because i give my son a larger monthly allowance than that ,while he is in uni in BKK .

The amount varies based on a persons age, the number of years they paid into the system and their earnings during the final year of their working life. The number I have given above is the amount my wife would recieve at age 55, as it is calculated today, other people's calculations will differ.

I can answer that one.

You'd be surprised how few doctors and dentists there would be if they weren't trained in the NHS and how often private hospitals use NHS facilities, in particular expensive equipment which it isn't economically viable for them to purchase. Also some private healthcare doesn't cover some serious medical problems and if they do then the premiums tend to rise a lot. I doubt my late wife's multiple sclerosis would have been covered particularly if it hadn't been so aggressive and she'd lived longer. I needed benefits then as I had to give up work to look after her. I'm sure private healthcare doesn't help if your injured in say a road accident Partly because of the NHS the life expectancy is higher in the UK than USA.

True some people are unemployed because they don't want to work but sometimes it can be out of your control and you need benefits to cover until you get another job or have to retrain if necessary.

I think your statement Unemployment, never needed as not a loser. shows you're not the sort of person I'd want to spend much time listening to.

I can answer that one.

That's an amazingly selfish and "me" oriented post Tommy, you sure you mean all that.

Fish and chips.

steak and kidney pie laugh.png

Fish and chips.

steak and kidney pie laugh.png

And don't forget the ultimate in UK haute cuisine; mushy peas, anyone? sick.gif

Edited by 12DrinkMore

• 3 weeks later...

Actually the UK is doing very well . Unemployment is on the down , production is on the up. The government Deficit on the way down. its because of whats happening in Europe is masking the UK true economic output. The UK true out put is also masked, for example The wings for the Airbus are made in the UK , but then flown to France for assembly, Then France says we have sold x amount of Air buses, so France gets the Economical benefits.

No the UK is NOT doing very well. It's just not doing as badly as the likes of Greece.

The fact of the matter is that austerity hasn't even really begun to bite down that hard yet and already the pips are squeaking. The country's technically back in recession, inflation remains anchored way above the BoE's target and the banks ain't lending. Make no mistake, things are going to get far, far worse in Britain and it'll take 5 years and a hell of a lot more quantitative easing before any sustainable, meaningful economic recovery takes hold.

If I was the OP, I'd change it up sharpish before the downtrend resumes.

I hope you are right, as I changed it all today.

However, the rates as given in the TV exchange rates are not those in the banks. Best I could get was 49.76, and that was out of 4 banks.

Oh well, now that I don't have any left to change, I fully expect the pound to skyrocket against the baht- Murphy rulez!

Well, I was wrong there, but happily, now that I am once again having to convert Sterling to baht, the rate has improved from it's recent drop, and is now around 49.5.

So, barring a catastrophic drop in the next few days, it could have been worse.

• 1 year later...

53,25 is it not as off today

The hard part would have been:

1. tipping that turnaround 8 or so months back

2. having the guts to put your money where your mouth is

Many were talking about returning to Britain if the pound dropped below a certain level - I believe a few actually did so, and are now in the grip of another British Winter. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.