Mail Like Treacle After Reload From Gmail

cheeryble

Macbook 2gig Intel core duo Ram 2 gig

Hi there

I had a HD failure and with the new HD got upgraded to 10.6.8.

Since Mail reloaded from Gmail I've noticed that a lot of mail has three copies if I search.

Worse, it it taking a very long time to download and send mail, I can wait for many many minutes for a simple text email to go.

It's a real pain.

i am not sure it's not affected my iPad as well as I often get somethign like "gmail not responding".....though it eventually does.(though this may be a complete red herring).

What would be a good strategy to clean this all up?

thanks Cheeryble

Edited by cheeryble

More precisely, delete your gmail account(s) from Mail.app.

Then add a new Gmail account with the same credentials, and let it download everything again.

Most likely you've somehow ended up with multiple mailboxes or whatever. If Gmail is your only account in Mail, remove all accounts. If not, make sure to check each one and make sure it's not another Gmail account.

Oh with Gmail there is another thing, in fact the first thing you should try: Go to your Gmail account settings in the Gmail web app, and select which folders you want to share via IMAP. Definitely remove the "All Mail" folder, because that will download all your messages twice.

The problem is that Gmail is more advanced than the IMAP protocol - Gmail lets you sort your emails by labels, and each email can have multiple labels and will then show up under all those labels. The IMAP protocol - which you use to access Gmail from Mail.app - doesn't have a concept like that. All IMAP knows about is folders and subfolders of email. Each tag gets converted into a folder. So if you have multiple labels on your emails, these get downloaded multiple times, once for each folder.

The All Mail tag of course contains everything so it'll download all your messages one more time, in All Mail. Easy to select which to sync and which not in the Gmail web app.

Since these are not easy to find as I thought, here's some links:

Choose which labels appear in Mail.app: https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1#settings/labels

And here's instructions

http://email.about.com/od/gmailtips/qt/et_hide_in_imap.htm

Edited by nikster

Thankyou for the excellent info Nikster I shall try it later on the go right now.

A suggestion from a friend BTW was to simply download Sparrow which he likes better....but would like to get MAIL going anyway.

Will let u know!