420 Baht To Keep Registration Current On Motrbike.

120 baht for the actual registration and 300 baht for minimum coverage insurance. gf said the motor vehicle teller did everything. but i wondered if the insurance should be in separate office? sounds like the insurance wasnt optional.... is this correct?

"The second best time to plant a tree is today" sent from Galaxy Cooper.

Sounds correct. About 100 for tax and around 300 for insurance.

Basic insurance is a requirement and you won’t be able to tax the bike without the insurance receipt.

At my local LTO I can buy the insurance from a teller in the same building as I pay the tax, or in a few shacks just outside of the LTO.

The registration (tax) paid to the DLT is a flat 100 THB. That gets you the tax sticker.

But before you get the sticker (I know I'm explaining the obvious here, but bear with me, I'm trying to answer the OP's question) you need to buy at the least the minimum liability insurance required by Thai law. This is the minimum coverage for someone else other than yourself or your passenger, who you might injure in an accident.

Having had several bikes registered here, I recall that my Wave and CBR 150 had different liability insurance premiums.

The Wave was around 300 THB, the CBR 150 was more, around 400 THB.

Now I have a CBR 250; I don't know the exact price for the liability insurance, as I bought the bike new and this cost was included in a full comprehensive insurance package (purchased from the dealer). I'll find out the price for the minimum liability insurance when I register again in Sept this year.

Hope this clarifies your question.

Insurance 300

Tax 100 + 1bht fine for each month late

Insurance 300

That means the OP was 20 months late paying his 100 Bht tax shock1.gif

Thanks for that, but you are putting words in the OP's mouth that he didn't speak.

There is no mention of being late for registration in his post.

He simply wants to know the breakdown of registration/tax cost vs. 3rd party liability insurance cost.

;)

Insurance 300

Insurance 300

That means the OP was 20 months late paying his 100 Bht tax shock1.gif

Thanks for that, but you are putting words in the OP's mouth that he didn't speak.

There is no mention of being late for registration in his post.

He simply wants to know the breakdown of registration/tax cost vs. 3rd party liability insurance cost.

wink.png

This is what I read in the OP

120 baht for the actual registration and 300 baht for minimum coverage insurance.gf said the motor vehicle teller did everything.

Edited by pipo1000

big engine bikes cost a few hundred more than scooters i think , but i have seen slip ups ,particularly in the rayong office where i once got a years tax and insurance (por ror bor)

for the grand total of 105 thb (for a 650cc er6n)

i think they forgot or miscalculated somehow and gave me the scooter price

because i think i usually pay more than that for in bkk offices but its peanuts

anyway whether you get charged 100-200-400 for a years motoring :)

The registration (tax) paid to the DLT is a flat 100 THB. That gets you the tax sticker.

But before you get the sticker (I know I'm explaining the obvious here, but bear with me, I'm trying to answer the OP's question) you need to buy at the least the minimum liability insurance required by Thai law. This is the minimum coverage for someone else other than yourself or your passenger, who you might injure in an accident.

The insurance also covers yourself for medical to 50000 but 15000 only can bwe paid unless blame is apportioned. It only covers physical injury to people not to property.

The insurance also covers yourself for medical to 50000 but 15000 only can bwe paid unless blame is apportioned. It only covers physical injury to people not to property.

I'm sure you mean medical coverage for the other party.

I'm sure you mean medical coverage for the other party.

No, he is right when he says the rider and/or passenger is covered up to 15,000THB for medical costs if no blame is apportioned. Thus, if you came off with no other vehicle around, you would be covered for up to 15,000THB of medical costs. Obviously, the damage to your bike is not covered.

My CBR250 insurance was 661baht from a girl across the road in a shack....did I get ripped off?

I'm afraid so since my 1900 cc bike was only 638 Baht

You are both wrong as it should be 646 Baht !

My CBR250 insurance was 661baht from a girl across the road in a shack....did I get ripped off?

I simply read what is printed on my insurance slip

Previously just posted the numbers by recollection, so just checked the exact numbers on our two 125cc bikes for grins.

Bike 1: Tax 100, Insurance 323.14, Total 423.14

Bike 2: Tax 100, Insurance 331.06, Total 431.06

Both taxed in Dec 2011. Seems that the OP got away cheaper. laugh.png

I had a gut feeling I was being ripped off. She had shifty eyes. rolleyes.gif

all bikes over 150cc (I think) are in the highest insurance bracket, 600-700 baht depending on where you buy it.

The OP didn't get ripped off. The 20B could have been for any reason.

To add to the whole mystery of how DLT does this- it seems every year they use a different insurance provider for the required minimum insurance to get the sticker, if you buy the coverage at the DLT (One Stop DLT in Chiang Mai, in my case).

I've had a Wave 100 for 6 years now, that has had it seems 3 or 4 different insurance companies....?

Probably the gov't agrees to share the wealth so to speak, and awards a different contract every year.

(I still go the Honda dealer where I bought the bike, and pay for an additional policy for theft/collision, to cover loss or damage to the bike itself).