How Safe Are The High Rise Buildings In Bangkok

Hello all

Sorry if this question has been asked before.

I've been looking at properties in BKK from past few weeks now. Though there are some really great condos at high rise buildings where I could imagine me and boyfriend being at home, both of us are also wondering how safe these structures are in reality.

I was brought up in India, have experienced earthquakes sometimes while living in high rises and is something I would not like to experience again. My boyfriend being German, is cautious about it as he always is about everything else. ohmy.png We're a bit conflicted as I wish to rent a property somewhere above 15 storeys while my boyfriend wants a lower floor.

I have done some research on web, there is mixed info everywhere. some article saying many buildings are on risk from quakes and some saying BKK in not even in a high risk zone. I would not like to miss out on a perfect house just because of some irrational paranoia.

So, are there any tips or advise that we could get as first time home/ condo renters in BKK? What have been your experiences of living in high rise buildings here? Are they really as good as they look on the agency websites? Are there fire or emergency exits?

Thanks in advance

Edited by IamYamYam

Bangkok isn't an active fault zone. That may not be the right terminology, but there are areas that just don't have earthquakes, usually areas without mountains. If you look at the east vs the west coast of the US, the east is relatively "old" and settled, all the mountains have been eroded and there is no possibility of a quake (tornados are another thing:)). The west coast has rugged and actively forming terrain, some of those mountain ranges are even rising every year. Anyway, Bangkok is like the east coast of the US, no chance for a really damaging quake.

Don't mention fires....

Do some research....have there been any large condo collapses, inferno's etc.....I don't think so.

Of course this also means that every day without one is closer to the day they have one.

Yeah, I'd be more concerned with the fire risk than seismic risk.

Way too many people in a vertical stack, any of whom or worse yet a random convergence of say several at the same time who might get drunk or fall asleep or have a domestic disturbance while doing something that might lead to a fire.

I own more than a few (condos, not high rises), but have rarely spent more than a night or two a year in any of them.

smile.png

Edited by Heng

To answer one of your questions, yes there are fire stairs in modern BKK condo high rises (based on the one year old one I inhabit and another couple I looked at). Our condo has 2 fire stair wells at each end of each of its 35 floors. Each floor has about 30 units.

I dont know whether they are built to western fire well standards but they will not be built to German standards - I doubt that anywhere else does, so you are up against it discussing safety with a German boyfriend! He must be a nightmare to live with if he is consistently safety conscious in Thailand - he would be much safer sitting in a high rise with no fire precautions than going outside IMO.

[Next time I go there I think I'll walk down the firewells to make sure they go anywherebiggrin.png ]

Thank you all for replies. :)

To answer one of your questions, yes there are fire stairs in modern BKK condo high rises (based on the one year old one I inhabit and another couple I looked at). Our condo has 2 fire stair wells at each end of each of its 35 floors. Each floor has about 30 units.

I dont know whether they are built to western fire well standards but they will not be built to German standards - I doubt that anywhere else does, so you are up against it discussing safety with a German boyfriend! He must be a nightmare to live with if he is consistently safety conscious in Thailand - he would be much safer sitting in a high rise with no fire precautions than going outside IMO.

[Next time I go there I think I'll walk down the firewells to make sure they go anywherebiggrin.png ]

Haha, he's alright, has lived in India for a couple of years so Thailand shouldn't be a huge shock for him or me for that matter. Maybe it is just what Germany does to you, since everything seems to be scarily in a perfect order as if it were a public safety video. biggrin.png At least I have already convinced him to go for a condo over 10- 15 floor.

Edited by IamYamYam

IMO about 8 floors is the max for me, high enough to be quiet but low enough to feel connected to the world.

In a fire I'd rather be on floor 8 or below than 40 floors up.I can jump into a net or cushion from 8 (not that I would enjoy it).

If you are on a very hig floor then pray the FD have serious extension ladders.