Anyone Tell Me Why Flights Are So Expensive For These Dates?

smokie36

Hi

I'm looking to fly from the UK to BKK 20/21 July returning August 5/6. Cheapest fares are coming in at £900 economy and £2k for biz class.

That is more Xmas prices to me. Am I missing something here?

I get stuffed every year for the same reason. Prices seem to go up about a week to 10 days before the holidays start. In previous years my wife has travelled out a couple of weeks earlier than me. This has worked well in two ways, she gets her family stuff done without me having to go through the pain of it, and it has saved us sometimes £250 + on her ticket.

Can you not leave say 10th of July? You'll probably save ££££s but search around on dates if you are flexible.

Edited by LucidLucifer

School holidays.

Thought that might be it. Bloody ankle biters...blink.png

What I'm wondering is if I should book up now or wait in the hope of a drop a bit nearer the departure date. Anyone experienced this in July before?

Your thoughts please...

From experience, they earlier you book the cheaper the flights are. It's simple supply and demand. As the supply of seats dwindles, so prices rise.

It is not to said you cannot find bargains, but personally I think it is a gamble.

Are you quite particular on your airline/departure airport/direct vs indirect?

£900 seems steep.

From experience, they earlier you book the cheaper the flights are. It's simple supply and demand. As the supply of seats dwindles, so prices rise.

It is not to said you cannot find bargains, but personally I think it is a gamble.

£900 seems steep.

I'm flexible on dates departures and happy to take indirect flights as long as there is no Indian stopover.

Really I would wait for now as the prices even at Xmas don't rise much from £900. That is crazy for July.

Just curious to know if anyone experienced a late drop due to inability of the airlines to sell a few seats....or more than a few at those inflated prices.

Thanks again for your reply. wai.gif

Yes, the Olympics have pushed flight and hotel prices through the roof, the rest of the UK tourist industry are saying this will lead to a reduction of main stream tourists.

Yes I can understand for passengers travelling into the UK on those dates but why so expensive going the other direction?

£900 seems steep.

I'm flexible on dates departures and happy to take indirect flights as long as there is no Indian stopover.

Really I would wait for now as the prices even at Xmas don't rise much from £900. That is crazy for July.

Just curious to know if anyone experienced a late drop due to inability of the airlines to sell a few seats....or more than a few at those inflated prices.

Thanks again for your reply. wai.gif

Egypt Air seems to be the cheapest followed by KLM.

Why not depart from AMS or BRU (Brussels has Qatar and Etihad) ?

Yermanee wai.gif

Gulf air have often been very competitive, and their stopover times have been reasonable in the past. I will admit however, that after flying with them on numerous occasions, the last time (three years ago) we promised ourselves it would be the last. The plane was filthy.

If you're interested in Gulf, try looking at booking direct through their own website, it can sometimes turn out cheaper.

Edited by LucidLucifer

Thanks yermanee. I see AMS-BKK already a tad under £800 with BA who i have silver status with. That might be worth a go. Still looking for other options though.

Really I'd like a biz class fare around £1500-1600.

As I am in the Highlands of Scotland at the moment any flights to Amsterdam etc are similarly priced to London anyway.

Edited by smokie36

I got prices from Glasgow to BKK with Emirates for around 37500baht, but long stopovers

Outbound Fri, Jul 20 02:15 PM GLA BKK 12:25 PM 1 stop via DXB (16:10)

ek.gif Emirates

Return Sun, Aug 5 09:20 PM BKK GLA 12:35 PM 1 stop via DXB (21:15)

ek.gif Emirates

Price on the website is 696.24GBP

Edited by beano2274

I got prices from Glasgow to BKK with Emirates for around 37500baht, but long stopovers

ek.gif Emirates

ek.gif Emirates

Thanks beano. Yeah that is one of the options I am considering. Glasgow takes longer to get to and more inconvenient than London though!

I looked at the AMS-BKK flight on ba.com and it routes via London for £760. The flight LHR-BKK is £1200. Crazy!

If you can, try and avoid travel Friday through to Monday as fares are always highest on these days. Fares rise steeply after 10th July so suggest you do a skyscanner search which should give you a competitive fare.

ek.gif Emirates

ek.gif Emirates

Thanks beano. Yeah that is one of the options I am considering. Glasgow takes longer to get to and more inconvenient than London though!

I looked at the AMS-BKK flight on ba.com and it routes via London for £760. The flight LHR-BKK is £1200. Crazy!

On the return flight you could get off at LHR, saves you the trip LHR/AMS.

Yermaneewai.gif

£900 seems steep.

Supply and demand?

Are you serious?

No, it is just how much can we charge those stupid sods?

Yes, the Olympics have pushed flight and hotel prices through the roof, the rest of the UK tourist industry are saying this will lead to a reduction of main stream tourists.

Yes I can understand for passengers travelling into the UK on those dates but why so expensive going the other direction?

Because everybody wants to escape from the Olympics, which is a massive bore as well as being an insane waste of money.