Bangkok: Huge Turnout Expected At Red-Shirt Rally Today

webfact

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As I said previously, you pompous "Armchair Quarterbacks" are clueless. I don't care what your "statistics" say me and 90% of fellow business people of many different forms are being choked to death as a direct result of this ongoing debacle. I can only assume that backpackers make up the bulk of your tourism "data". You throw around meaningless statistics, garnered from god knows where and try to tell me I'm wrong when it is a matter of fact that business sales consistently take a deep plunge in complete sync with malicious Red activity and acts of stupidity from the government. Following the horrifying taking hostage and subsequent burning of Bangkok in 2010, there has been a continual downward spiral of Middle to High income people making holidays in Thailand. Reds, PTP equal bad news for business... period. Mishandling of the floods, ineptness in taking care of the field burnings causing extreme and sickening air pollution, perpetual Red rallys to inconvenience and intimidate... it just goes on and on. Nobody wants to put down thousands of dollars to come on holiday to a place literally rampant and riddled with bad news & bad scenarios. I have friends who run touring businesses out of many different countries and they all say the same thing, Thailand has a bad name and people are now booking holidays to Vietnam, Angkor Wat, Laos and Bali. Thailand has shot itself in the foot and as I mentioned previously, I can no longer tolerate it and too will be leaving this stupidity shortly.

the only person sounding pompous in this back and forth is you my friend... i simply put some figures up.

just because you own a business related to tourism does not mean you're the only person who has any idea about it.

i know a quite a few people with businesses related to tourism who are doing just fine.

Simple test...

Go to the Chiang Mai Night Bazaar and start asking shop owners how things have been going this year & if they're "doing just fine". Then try going up and down Loi Kroh and Thapae Roads & interview the shop owners and ask them if they're "doing just fine". Then, if you dare, venture into the old city and go down any street you like and ask the tour operators, massage parlors and restauranteurs how things are going. Stop into any hotel and ask them how their occupancies have been this year. Then do the same thing in Hua Hin, Sukhothai, Gawh Chang, etc... and come back and post your results. Until then, everything else you and the majority of other clowns who've been posting in response to my personal experiences is just second or third hand hearsay, speculation and meaningless gossip which I request you just keep to yourself.

• Like 2

As I said previously, you pompous "Armchair Quarterbacks" are clueless. I don't care what your "statistics" say me and 90% of fellow business people of many different forms are being choked to death as a direct result of this ongoing debacle. I can only assume that backpackers make up the bulk of your tourism "data". You throw around meaningless statistics, garnered from god knows where and try to tell me I'm wrong when it is a matter of fact that business sales consistently take a deep plunge in complete sync with malicious Red activity and acts of stupidity from the government. Following the horrifying taking hostage and subsequent burning of Bangkok in 2010, there has been a continual downward spiral of Middle to High income people making holidays in Thailand. Reds, PTP equal bad news for business... period. Mishandling of the floods, ineptness in taking care of the field burnings causing extreme and sickening air pollution, perpetual Red rallys to inconvenience and intimidate... it just goes on and on. Nobody wants to put down thousands of dollars to come on holiday to a place literally rampant and riddled with bad news & bad scenarios. I have friends who run touring businesses out of many different countries and they all say the same thing, Thailand has a bad name and people are now booking holidays to Vietnam, Angkor Wat, Laos and Bali. Thailand has shot itself in the foot and as I mentioned previously, I can no longer tolerate it and too will be leaving this stupidity shortly.

the only person sounding pompous in this back and forth is you my friend... i simply put some figures up.

just because you own a business related to tourism does not mean you're the only person who has any idea about it.

i know a quite a few people with businesses related to tourism who are doing just fine.

Simple test...

Go to the Chiang Mai Night Bazaar and start asking shop owners how things have been going this year & if they're "doing just fine". Then try going up and down Loi Kroh and Thapae Roads & interview the shop owners and ask them if they're "doing just fine". Then, if you dare, venture into the old city and go down any street you like and ask the tour operators, massage parlors and restauranteurs how things are going. Stop into any hotel and ask them how their occupancies have been this year. Then do the same thing in Hua Hin, Sukhothai, Gawh Chang, etc... and come back and post your results. Until then, everything else you and the majority of other clowns who've been posting in response to my personal experiences is just second or third hand hearsay, speculation and meaningless gossip which I request you just keep to yourself.

"clowns", oh cry me a river will ya...i would have expressed some empathy towards you if you weren't being such a ********* in the way you're putting your point accross, again you're the only one coming accross as pompous and arrogant.

your personal experience is just hearsay to everyone on this forum too btw,

but besides that, i'm not doubting that your business is going badly, i'm not arguing that.

it however doesn't prove that tourist numbers are down in thailand, cm maybe but sorry nope, it's not proof.

[quote name='yeeowww' timestamp='1337934854' post='5331043'

Your comments do not reflect the reality namely that the hospitality sector in Thailand is doing extremely well, and after the setbacks of the airport occupation and redshirt protests is achieving excellent results.Naturally the global economic difficulties are a challenge but overall Thailand and its tourist oriented businesses are doing extremely well.

Your suggestion that your unnamed business is suffering from the current government's policies is rather strange - and apparently deeply felt.This is not the common experience and perhaps you should consider whether your problems are caused by other factors.The fact that you dismiss all statistics and rational evidence suggests that the problems you face are related to poor management or other micro factors rather than the wider environment.

I have generated millions of dollars in past decades in my capacity as manager for previous companies I was employed at. I now have chosen to move back to Thailand to run my own business. So please do me a favor, either back up your claims with some substantiated and accountable facts or quit making juvenile cheap slurs against my management capabilities and shut up.

What is it about some of you people who feel compelled to spew out unsubstantiated claims and unfounded statements in an effort to simply put down and deny that which I and many, many fellow business owners have personally suffered and experienced? Your empty claims of the hospitality business doing just fine is absolute crap. You try palming it off on ANY thing else instead of accepting the fact of how destructive this whole Shinawatra episode has been to the country and those trying to eek out a nominally decent standard of living.

Sure, world economic hardships have added to the challenge but I know plenty running businesses in China, Vietnam and Siem Reap along with friends in Europe who are thriving & all reporting decent numbers. I have 3 shops in Chiang Mai including one in a high profile hotel in the city. And I can tell you with absolute certainty that over the past 3 years, starting with the invasion of the Pattaya ASEAN meeting and continuing to date, the malicious activities of the Thaksin support groups has done nothing but destroy the fabric of this once wonderful, beautiful country and has directly contributed greatly to the deterioration of the allure and the failure of countless businesses in this country.

I personally know dozens who own and operate businesses that run the gamut from retail souvenir spaces, classical & folk art galleries, bars and restaurants to hotels and guest houses, and I can guarantee you with no hesitation that things are NOT faring well for ANY of us these past 3 years since Thaksin decided to turn up the heat with his group of sub-par IQ lackys doing his bidding. Thapae Gate which normally thrives with vitality was a ghost town throughout the entire previous "High Season"! Hotels in this city are anemic at best and have been and still are struggling the past year! This goes for all the way from the Shangri-La & Le Meridian to the standard 1000 Baht a night spots. Numbers are WAY DOWN and I challenge you to produce some back up to your obviously dreamt up statement in an egotistically blind effort to try and put me down because you simply can't handle the truth.

I also live and work in Chiangmai and to some extent agree with you, however, you cannot blame "the reds" for the bad business models and over supply that clearly exists in Chiangmai.

As a manufacturer and exporter I struggle with my business, not because of anything to do with the government of Thailand, the reds, yellows, blues, whatever, but because i compete with China, Vietnam, Eastern Europe and everywhere else.

I think your blame is very misplaced.

Simple test...

I am an experienced restaurateur; over 30 years in the business. I went to Chiang Mai 8 years ago to buy a restaurant. I looked for 3 years. It was my conclusion that the tourist trade was going downhill because of the smoke and dwindling value of Western currencies and the properties in Chiang Mai were overpriced by 500% and there was no way to make a profit with the cost of leasing.

It is easy to appraise property and the rules for property appraisal don't change because this is Thailand. Thais don't get this. Europeans here once they buy are also committed to this 500% over priced scheme and silly things like key money.

So if you are buying a hospitality or tourist related business in Thailand don't expect to make any money regardless who is in control.

Manufacture something, consult, design, teach. Selling real estate is OK. But don't buy. It is not the Red or Yellow they have almost nothing to do with anything except the minor travel problems like closing the airport or killing people in BKK streets.

• Like 1

^ and you feel Thaksin and the red shirts are to blame for all of this?

Whilst i don't think it is fair to blame Thaksin for all of this, i can't say him unfairly getting the blame gives me sleepless nights, when considering how he has unfairly taken the credit for the economic boom in Thailand whilst he was PM, that just so happened to coincide with a worldwide boom. How long have we had to hear how fantastic things were when he was in charge and how fantastic they would once again be, if only we had his enormous financial nous and business genius to help the country? A long time. Well, now is the time to deliver. When will the good days commence? Coming up to a year and no sign yet....

• Like 2

As I said previously, you pompous "Armchair Quarterbacks" are clueless. I don't care what your "statistics" say me and 90% of fellow business people of many different forms are being choked to death as a direct result of this ongoing debacle. I can only assume that backpackers make up the bulk of your tourism "data". You throw around meaningless statistics, garnered from god knows where and try to tell me I'm wrong when it is a matter of fact that business sales

Simple test...

You have simply ignored the official figures of tourist number arrivals and the impact of the increased numbers on the economy.You have not described the business you are in so it's not possible to comment on why it might be underperforming.However businesses fail in even the most dynamic economic environment, perhaps even a majority in the case of SME start ups.There are countless reasons why a business might underperform and other members have rightly pointed out the challenge from regional competition though I suspect the global recession is the more significant factor.However even these factors are more applicable to assembly operations and manafacturing.Tourism in Thailand is a genuine bright spot and as I have already pointed out very robust in the face of political disturbances such as coups, airport occupations and street protests.Indeed the Thai Hotels Association, with which I have had close contact for over 20 years, believes that Thailand's bumpy political landscape is effectively discounted by the world's travel industry.

I have no idea whether Chiangmai stall holders and massage parlours are feeling the pinch, nor frankly is it very relevant.THere are multiple potential issues to consider.You have absurdly seized on the Shinawatra factor as the only contributory cause of your own lack of success.Yet the ranting, angry and incoherent tone of your posts suggest you may lack the analytical ability to distinguish what the problem is let alone prioritise the contributory factors.If you were to describe your business, the problems it faces etc you would probably receive a more sympathetic and useful response.Instead you come over as slightly crazed and lacking in self awareness.

Edited by jayboy

Back to the thread topic - how close did they get the to the 200,000 their leaders projected?

We've had reports of between 20,000 - 50,000.

The Red Shirts have for quite some time been pretty consistent with their obtaining around 10% of whatever they predict/proclaim/promise.

Of course, scoring 10% on a test is a very low F and a salesman meeting only 10% of his sales goals would certainly be fired.

Perhaps the local-leaders should lobby the 'Big Boss' for an increase in their 'marketing' budget ? whistling.gif

A picture is worth a thousand words we are told. This particular image left me speechless,.

Do we now see the true face of the Red Shirt movement appearing led by a despotic character who resides outside of the Kingdom.

Graphic image courtesy of http://www.facebook....35060922&type=1

560483_456908524323020_149529535060922_1856479_79857446_n.jpg

The symbol has been apart of the Thai Buddism for 2000 years. i assume thats what your refereing to.

post-140396-0-31208400-1338004433_thumb.

Edited by marstons

Marstons, the Buddhist symbol is in the horizontal and vertical axis. Hitler used it at 45 degrees

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect App

and flipped it horizontally, too, but then so what? Marston's point is still the same...

The design on the T-Shirt is a Nazi Swastika. No room for wriggling.

I am starting to really like this thread. Would it be OK to talk about my wonderful Thai wife; the Red Shirt? Who did not go to the rally because her Swastika t shirt was lost at the laundry in Pattaya?

Marstons, the Buddhist symbol is in the horizontal and vertical axis. Hitler used it at 45 degrees

and flipped it horizontally, too, but then so what? Marston's point is still the same...

and no need for wiggling.

Neither you nor I know what the person wearing it thinks. However, it is possible, I think you'll admit, that the wearer does not know about the Nazis. And if that is the case, what would the symbol look like to this person? It would look like a Buddhist symbol, of course - it's historic origin.

Let's not blame the Thai people for the sins of Hitler who "borrowed" an ancient symbol for his own use.

Let's not blame the Thai people for the sins of Hitler who "borrowed" an ancient symbol for his own use.

I blame people for ignorance, be they Thai or otherwise.

Reminds me of the craze a short while after the World Trade Centre attack of people wearing t-shirts with Osama Bin Laden's face. Perhaps that was more to do with insensitivity and stupidity though.

Edited by rixalex
  • Like 2

Neither you nor I know what the person wearing it thinks. However, it is possible, I think you'll admit, that the wearer does not know about the Nazis. And if that is the case, what would the symbol look like to this person? It would look like a Buddhist symbol, of course - it's historic origin.

We were discussing the Swastika - not the person.

I am pretty sure she has no idea who the Nazis were.

I go to a restaurant every day where the gay waiter has a Swastika tattooed on his arm. I asked him why he did it - he said it looked nice. Not one of the staff knew what the symbol meant either in terms of ancient Buddhism or Hitler's mob.

I would bet a pound to a penny that she bought the T-Shirt because it was red.

The person wearing it is clearly not a thinker to begin with. A picture is also worth a thousand words.

She and her commie friends ought to pay up for trashing the city the other year, looking at the no littering sign in the background. haha. (If the sign said no human trash, they'd all have to leave pronto!)

The person wearing it is clearly not a thinker to begin with. A picture is also worth a thousand words.

She and her commie friends ought to pay up for trashing the city the other year, looking at the no littering sign in the background. haha. (If the sign said no human trash, they'd all have to leave pronto!)

can i get some tickets to your show, or do you give all your comedy gems away for free?

• Like 1

As I said previously, you pompous "Armchair Quarterbacks" are clueless. I don't care what your "statistics" say me and 90% of fellow business people of many different forms are being choked to death as a direct result of this ongoing debacle. I can only assume that backpackers make up the bulk of your tourism "data". You throw around meaningless statistics, garnered from god knows where and try to tell me I'm wrong when it is a matter of fact that business sales

Simple test...

You have simply ignored the official figures of tourist number arrivals and the impact of the increased numbers on the economy.You have not described the business you are in so it's not possible to comment on why it might be underperforming.However businesses fail in even the most dynamic economic environment, perhaps even a majority in the case of SME start ups.There are countless reasons why a business might underperform and other members have rightly pointed out the challenge from regional competition though I suspect the global recession is the more significant factor.However even these factors are more applicable to assembly operations and manafacturing.Tourism in Thailand is a genuine bright spot and as I have already pointed out very robust in the face of political disturbances such as coups, airport occupations and street protests.Indeed the Thai Hotels Association, with which I have had close contact for over 20 years, believes that Thailand's bumpy political landscape is effectively discounted by the world's travel industry.

I have no idea whether Chiangmai stall holders and massage parlours are feeling the pinch, nor frankly is it very relevant.THere are multiple potential issues to consider.You have absurdly seized on the Shinawatra factor as the only contributory cause of your own lack of success.Yet the ranting, angry and incoherent tone of your posts suggest you may lack the analytical ability to distinguish what the problem is let alone prioritise the contributory factors.If you were to describe your business, the problems it faces etc you would probably receive a more sympathetic and useful response.Instead you come over as slightly crazed and lacking in self awareness.

If the government says tourist numbers are up and the travel business is booming then it must be true no matter how much evidence there may be to the contrary.

Simple test...

If the government says tourist numbers are up and the travel business is booming then it must be true no matter how much evidence there may be to the contrary.

I have not seen any evidence to the contrary. One guy in Chiang Mai who knows a couple of vendors? All the malls are packed every weekend with locals and tourists. I guess you guys who don't live in Thailand can imagine and make yourself feel better but business is booming here. Can't find enough help. The Khmer who took my order tonight didn't speak Thai very well and got it wrong. The owner apologized. Can't find enough Thais to fill the service jobs. Big I would suggest you are out of touch.

can i get some tickets to your show, or do you give all your comedy gems away for free?

The comedy is provided compliments of these low lives all on their own. Jatuporn, chalerm, yingluk, swastikas...you gotta laugh 'cause it is certainly a joke! 555

The Khmer who took my order tonight didn't speak Thai very well and got it wrong. The owner apologized. Can't find enough Thais to fill the service jobs.

There be a two edged sword.

Change find into afford.

Edited by Thaddeus
  • Like 1

Reminds me of the craze a short while after the World Trade Centre attack of people wearing t-shirts with Osama Bin Laden's face. Perhaps that was more to do with insensitivity and stupidity though.

I recall being absolutely gobsmacked after 9-11 to see a family walking down the street in KK and both the kids ( boys aged about 11 and 8 ) had matching t-shirts with a print of the twin towers on fire and the words "Bye Bye" printed across the bottom.

I recall being absolutely gobsmacked after 9-11 to see a family walking down the street in KK and both the kids ( boys aged about 11 and 8 ) had matching t-shirts with a print of the twin towers on fire and the words "Bye Bye" printed across the bottom.

Beggar's belief , it really does. Can't think how they could possibly have trivialised the tragedy any more. What is going through their minds?!

• Like 1

Beggar's belief , it really does. Can't think how they could possibly have trivialised the tragedy any more. What is going through their minds?!

That's what confused me. That there wasn't the slightest 1% inkling in the parent's mind, not even a glimmer, that "Hang on minute. Is this really a good idea?"

• Like 1

The Khmer who took my order tonight didn't speak Thai very well and got it wrong. The owner apologized. Can't find enough Thais to fill the service jobs.

There be a two edged sword.

Change find into afford.

That's true. Although I must admit I find the Burmese maids a refreshing change. Pity I don't speak any Burmese at all.