Science Minister Plodprasop Rules Out The Possibility Of Floods In Bangkok

webfact

Govt believes BKK safe from floods

plodpr.jpeg

BANGKOK, 19 May 2012 (NNT) – Science and Technology Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi has ruled out the possibility of floods in Bangkok, saying the rainy season this year is coming late as forecast.

In this Saturday’s government talk show, Mr. Plodprasob disclosed that the combined amount of water in major dams was one percent lower than that of last year. The dams are still able to store up to 7,000 million cubic meters of water.

The Minister revealed that all canals had been dredged up and dikes had been built around them. Existing embankments have also been strengthened, particularly those at the Rangsit Prayoonsak Canal. Therefore, a chance of flooding in Bangkok could be close to nil.

The government has already spent THB25 bil from its THB350 bil flood prevention budget. Most of the cash has been used in the improvement of road conditions, the dredging of canals, and the construction of flood ways and dams to prevent inundation in the capital and nearby provinces.

Although the capital is likely safe from floods, Mr. Plodprasop admitted that other provinces in the Chao Phraya River Basin, such as Sing Buri, Ang Thong, Chainat, Nakhon Sawan, Suphan Buri and Ayutthaya may be partly inundated. However, prevention plans have been made for business areas in these provinces.

The Minister said that more than 200 close-circuit cameras had been installed at business and populated areas so that the government could monitor the situation more closely and alert people to any irregularities promptly.

The government has also invited foreign experts to share their flood-prevention plans. Only the most suitable ones will be chosen for implementation.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-05-19 footer_n.gif

if the goverment says BKK is safe from floods....why install 200 CCTV camera's then ?

If the esteemed Science and technology minister is saying there are not going to be floods....better start stocking up on food, water and buy a boat then...whistling.gif .....maybe can rent the boat out to the science and technology ministery to speed up the flow of the rivers...same same as last year...

Let me see here now. He says Bangkok is safe from floods due to precations taken that will mean more floods in other areas.

then he goes on to say and I quote

"The government has also invited foreign experts to share their flood-prevention plans. Only the most suitable ones will be chosen for implementation."

In other words the flood proof bit was just talk to fool the likes of several well known PT Red Shirt lovers on this form who are waiting for every drop of wisdom to come from there hero's.

On the other hand I am glad he did not try to back up his talk by getting the government to repeal the law of gravity.

25 billion Baht was invested and now Bangkok is 100% waterproof? Dredging the canals alone would cost you more than that, let alone improving road conditions, building dams and dykes, etc... The good man has clearly no idea what he is talking about. I am sure that they have improved some of the waterways, but to claim that Bangkok is flood proof is as hilarious as miss Yingluck's claim that there will never ever be any floods, or resulting disasters (PhiPhiDon!), of biblical proportions!

This reminds me of a topic from oh so long ago, the 10th of May, 2012 to be precise wink.png

"Meanwhile, PM Yingluck Shinawatra said she would go on a nationwide inspection tour later this month to check on the progress of flood-prevention projects, many of which are believed to be behind schedule. "Projects in headwater areas in the North that need to be completed first have been especially slow because of the red tape," she said. "Completed projects are being audited and evaluated by universities and their reports will be released soon.""

Mr Plodprasop has made several wild statements over the last year regarding possible floods, he even claimed to know the exact number of storms that would reach Thailand.

He is an embarrassment to Thailand,never mind Pheua Thai,and hopefully will be removed in the next reshuffle

Alas though, he may have too much clout

It's not fair that Thailand has to suffer such fools...

Was this before or after our PM heard what her Science and Technology Minister Plodprasop had said representing her at the Saturday "meet the PM" program ?

Posted Today, 16:30

PM reported to have felt nauseous during visit to Kanchanaburi and has headed home to rest /TANN

• Like 1

Well, Mr. Plodprasob didn't realy say it was 100% safe,

".... COULD be close to nil"

".... LIKELY safe from floods"

and I'm sure, he's perfectly right - considring it could likely,

safely flood tomorrow, later or when an other party is in power

but not during the memory span of average Thai politician.

Tomorrow never comes, yesterday is long forgoten and today,

today we eat noodle soup licklips.gif

Edited by JoeLing
  • Like 1

Mr Plodprasop has made several wild statements over the last year regarding possible floods, he even claimed to know the exact number of storms that would reach Thailand.

He is an embarrassment to Thailand,never mind Pheua Thai,and hopefully will be removed in the next reshuffle

Alas though, he may have too much clout

It's not fair that Thailand has to suffer such fools...

A majority voted for these fools, so it is fair actually!

crossing-the-red-sea.png

I didn't see his staff.

"... the government could monitor the situation more closely and alert people to any irregularities promptly."

It's not a flood, its an irregularity.

Edited by rakman
  • Like 2

He has obvioulsy been a frequent customer of the Taro Card readers hanging out near the Bier Garden and many other areas where other Sundry sciences are expounded in the "hocus pocus" or of it all. If you can't believe the Minister of "Whatcha-Macallit" how can U believe anything.

But it is kind of fun to throw darts blind folded, and try to pin tail of the donkey on what the Brits (G-d blessem) call the Arse/Anus

Rakman: If you didn't see his staff, perhaps you may have been looking at the wrong part of Mose's Anatomy!

I was referring to Science and Technology Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi playing the part of Moses.

"... the government could monitor the situation more closely and alert people to any irregularities promptly."

It's not a flood, its an irregularity.

So a forthcoming headline would be "Industrial estates under 2 meters of irregularity"

Let's hope he knows the difference between an irregularity and a singularity.

Rakman: If you didn't see his staff, perhaps you may have been looking at the wrong part of Mose's Anatomy!

I was referring to Science and Technology Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi playing the part of Moses.

Minister Plod is not an actor. I say give him a work permit and bring in the real Moses now!

This is the process of " Magical Thinking" brought to its final and absurd conclusion. I suspect that when it floods next rainy season, there will be few TV member who will bring this thread back, but to the Thais it will be long forgotten. There may be one other conclusion however....That is that the government is fully aware that the floods were caused by poor control of the dam levels. Get the word to the dam controllers to have the dam levels low before rainy season, and PRESTO, no more floods.

And when then the next flood comes, then it`s all only in our perception. Just ask Yingluck.

Ohh no,we can not ask her.

Firstly she doesn`t know !!!

secondly, she hates all this questions !!!

and we do know what we get, if we ask silly questions ;-).

• 2 weeks later...

He forgot to mention he has the phone number of all the boat owners in the provinces around Bangkok.

Just in "Minister Plod is recommending that all owners of fans should direct them skywards when the rains start to push the rain back into the clouds"

Edited by canman

I'm waiting for Minister Plodprasop to offer all victims free-vouchers, for an all-you-can-eat exotic-meats buffet at Chiang Mai Night Safari, if his flood-predictions turn out to be any-less-reliable than last year's government-promises of no-floods. wink.png