Wondering Do Most That Travel Like The Big Hotels Or Smaller Bungalows

I have extensively traveled around Thailand with the family and we stay in bungalows very nice ones usually tucked away in many different areas the settings and gardens the rooms just stunning.

My wife and I always say big hotels do not have the charm and it is so easy to meet people more Thai than westeners. And the food is usually very good fresh cooked and the staf pleasant.

So was wondering what tha expat and Thais like?

In all my years (20+) in Thailand, I have had so many disappointments staying in smaller hotels, that I now stick to reputable hotels where I'm sure I'll get less bad surprises. It does happen once in a while but the percentage of wonderful experiences has gone up dramatically since.

I did have some good stays in smaller hotels but these were few and far between, and usually depended on the company.tongue.png

Yermaneewai.gif

In all my years (20+) in Thailand, I have had so many disappointments staying in smaller hotels, that I now stick to reputable hotels where I'm sure I'll get less bad surprises. It does happen once in a while but the percentage of wonderful experiences has gone up dramatically since.

I did have some good stays in smaller hotels but these were few and far between, and usually depended on the company.tongue.png

Yermaneewai.gif

I should clarify yermanee I don't mean the backpack places more like resorts but with out the high rise building. And these places have all the amenities

It has also taken many years to find the good ones for sure. And a vehicle is required because they are of the beaten path

Yermaneewai.gif

I should clarify yermanee I don't mean the backpack places more like resorts but with out the high rise building. And these places have all the amenities

It has also taken many years to find the good ones for sure. And a vehicle is required because they are of the beaten path

20 to 25 years ago all the smaller hotels (resorts) outside of the big cities (tourist resorts) would be considered backpacker places nowadays.

But I know what you mean. Can be idyllic and romantic and if that's what you like then go for it.

Me, I prefer a soft bed in a spacious well appointed room nowadays.

Yermanee wai.gif

Yermaneewai.gif

20 to 25 years ago all the smaller hotels (resorts) outside of the big cities (tourist resorts) would be considered backpacker places nowadays.

But I know what you mean. Can be idyllic and romantic and if that's what you like then go for it.

Me, I prefer a soft bed in a spacious well appointed room nowadays.

Yermanee wai.gif

With the big brand name hotels you can be pretty sure of what you're going to get for your money. With smaller resorts it can be hit or miss, but there are some excellent small places if you know where to go. Often going on friends recommendations can improve the hit to miss ratio.

In Thailand I find that the bigger hotels are more stable in quality than the smaller ones. You can get some good smaller ones of course but it's a gamble to find out a lot of the time. On the other hand in Australia I avoid the bigger hotels and go for the smaller ones because the bigger ones usually haven't been refurbished since the 80s where as the smaller ones are usually better looked after.

The thai youth often stay at my resort which is 1000 baht/night,

my friends that use to travel usually pick ~500 baht rooms,

and backpackers i've come around are going for cheaper still

Edited by poanoi

Depends on where I am and what I am doing. Just passing throught for the night (Maybe back road motorcycle ride) and I want a Bed, hot shower, and sit down toilet with low price. If I am going to be there a while or it is my destination I may pick something better. If I know I have to leave my daughter there alone for a while (working) I pick a good well known western chain where I know where she is very safe staying