Thai-Ness

Jayman

I received the following in an email from a mate. I inquired as to the source but it seems to be unknown. I enjoyed int and thought I would post it here for others.

This is a light-hearted look at cultural perceptions, not to be confused with an entirely serious world view, but, how Thai are you?

Thais are often uniquely incapable of learning about their own country, being too deeply entangled in the characteristics of Thai-ness that prevent them from seeking the truth. They are hampered by superstition, the importance of image over substance and of social harmony over truth, a natural tolerance of social ills, and a willingness to smooth things over instead of addressing ugly problems head on.

Farangs are an asset to Thailand in many ways, including their objective view of Thai society that exposes obvious truths that are often invisible to Thais.

I've seen grown women refuse to stay in a house for fear of Ghosts(???)

I've seen grown men refuse helpful advice because they might "lose face" so they continue on their own path, resulting in serious injury

I've seen young men not even hold the door open for their own girlfriends (because men are superior in Thailand) and then look at me with disgust when I do because now I've made them look bad. (<deleted>?)

That's THAI-NESS for you.

Superstitious naivety before good sense. The immature notion of "Face". Absolute selfishness and ZERO common sense.

Farangs will never understand that the convenience offered by driving on the wrong side of the road outweighs the dangers created.

Farangs will never understand why you still love your drunken father who you send money to from Pattaya.

Farangs will never understand why it is legal to generate unlimited amounts of noise in residential neighborhoods in order to sell a 10 baht icecream.

Farangs will never understand why you allow people with no idea whatsoever how to drive to get a license for 200 THB under the table.

Farangs will never understand why you allow your children to drive around on motorcycles when they are 7 years old.

Farangs will never understand Thai husbands that allow their wife to live with a Farang when he is in country, help spend the Farangs money when he is not, and think he is maintaining "face".

Farangs will never understand women losing their house in a card game.

That’s why Farangs can not understand "Thai-Ness".

However, if everything was just ‘same, same,’ wouldn’t it be boring?

So it’s important to adopt and adapt to the ways of Thai-ness, how well are you doing?

Ways of Knowing if you have Thai-ness or not.

You look four ways before crossing a one-way street.

You put salt and chilli on your ice cream.

A Thai cop stops you for a minor infraction and you automatically reach for your wallet..

You believe you may have been possessed as a child.

You wake up in the morning and realize that you have nowhere to go and all day to get there.

A Thai bar girl you've just met tells you that her mother is deathly ill and you just laugh and walk away.

You consider your mobile phone a fashion accessory.

You start wearing sandals everywhere…

You start driving cars barefeet…

You no longer enjoy Songkran. Instead, you stay home with a stack of videos.

You become an expert on buying and selling gold jewellery.

You believe that Yabba goes well with som-tam (a bit like white wine)

Dogs become animals you'd rather kick than pet. (or possibly eat)

When driving a car you'll start using every free inch of the road.

You realize that all the important words in Thai begin with the letter S. Sanuk (Fun), Saduak (convenient), Sabai (comfortable), Suay (pretty).

You think a calendar more useful than a watch…

As stated in OP, I am not the author of this but rather sharing it here for others to read. Like it or not you are all welcome to comment.

Don't get me wrong mate, I am happy to read this others might lodge objection.

I like it and have to say agree with the OP. This issue has been discussed here a couple of times seasoned with interesting written clashes.

I would also add a few more thoughts about Thai-ness such as ignoring our fellow-creatures, littering and the list could go on.

I can hardly believe that farangs can adopt the real Thai-ness with its original emotionalism.

Anyway, thanks for sharing it.

I've seen welders accepting sunglasses & crocodile claws and use them when i gave it to them,

tho it wouldn't occur to them to buy that stuff.

I've seen chefs (mom&pop) resturant refusing to use a fan i was offering free of rent while cooking,

on the grounds the electric bill would be unbearable

These are facts based on perception. I see no harm in characterizing a nation based on truth and facts.

Why are we so irritable sometimes??

to post nr 5

Edited by garrya

These are facts based on perception. I see no harm in characterizing a nation based on truth and facts.

Why are we so irritable sometimes??

to post nr 5

I have a hangover and run out of teabags. Happy now? biggrin.png

More sweeping generalisations. Really...take each and everyone as you find them!

Yes. Generalisations will manifest themselves when dealing with broad and whimsical comparatives.

It comes with the nature of imagining oneself superior in most contexts.

And one can easily find perceived negative character traits and common contradictions throughout every society and cultural order. They are what they are.

It's how we have taken them on as a sociological examination and subjective interpretation which might be the real contradiction.

Edited by zzaa09

More sweeping generalisations. Really...take each and everyone as you find them!

Yes. Generalisations will manifest themselves when dealing with broad and whimsical comparatives.

It comes with the nature of imagining oneself superior in most contexts.

And one can easily find perceived negative character traits and common contradictions throughout every society and cultural order. They are what they are.

It's how we have taken them on as a sociological examination and subjective interpretation which might be the real contradiction.

Well said..... But those pesky facts....

can we have an equivalent critique of Brits or Ossies please?

Why would you discuss the Brits or the Ozzies on the Thaivisa?

By the way, the title of the thread is Thai-ness, this is why we talk about Thailand ermm.gif

By the way, the title of the thread is Thai-ness, this is why we talk about Thailand ermm.gif

...because the thread seems to have its roots in racial prejudice in general as far as I can see. And also, as I have to keep explaining to certain people, it was a JOKE. see?

...because the thread seems to have its roots in racial prejudice in general as far as I can see. And also, as I have to keep explaining to certain people, it was a JOKE. see?

Not sure about it being rooted in prejudice, But it makes me realise i stopped trying apply logic to the thais around me and thier thai-ness long ago. Edited by tingtongfarang

Well, thats a post full of sweeping generalizations touching pretty much every stereotypical farang perception usually based in ignorance that one can find.

This forum is not here for Thai bashing.

Really, it bears to be said sometimes, if you (or the author) are so miserable here then what is the point? I just fail to grasp this lack of logic that so many foreigners have.

//CLOSED//

• Like 1