Private Light Aircraft Flying (ppl)

paul-s

I have a my PPL(A) from the UK. Last year while in Thailand I did a little bit of flying with the Chiang Mai Flying Club. They were great and extremely helpful.

I am expecting to come to Thailand again this March and will be looking for another flying experience. I will be staying mostly in the Pattaya area, but I am quite happy to travel.

Does any one have any tips or ideas? :o

Can a foreigner get a private flying license in Thailand and if so how much is the plane rental and the instructor?

Edit: Never mind...I looked at the link and for the curioius; yes a foreigner can do this and it costs about 200,000 baht for EVERYTHING (ground school, supplies, medical examination, airplane rental, instructor's fees, and misc.....in short, everything).

Edited by chownah

Can a foreigner get a private flying license in Thailand and if so how much is the plane rental and the instructor?

Yes you can. You can see some prices here: http://www.cmflyingclub.com/hire.htm

I plan on transferring my US private pilots license to a Thai license sometime in the near future. But you can also take the complete private license course here and get a Thai license. You also need a medical certificate for flying, and this is a real medical examination and not a 2 minute interview. Also a radio license to operate the aircraft transceiver (no testing for this, just a form).

Edited by tywais

Yes you can. You can see some prices here: http://www.cmflyingclub.com/hire.htm

I plan on transferring my US private pilots license to a Thai license sometime in the near future. But you can also take the complete private license course here and get a Thai license. You also need a medical certificate for flying, and this is a real medical examination and not a 2 minute interview. Also a radio license to operate the aircraft transceiver (no testing for this, just a form).

Thanks for the reply. It looks like the cost is ballpark the same for your link as the other one. Thanks again, Chownah

I flew in Thailand last year with CMFC "Chiang Mai Flying Club" I already have the JAR (International) PPL issued in the UK. I could fly in Thailand but there requirement for a extra licence from the Thai DOA which gave an extra licence which enebled me to fly and Pilot in command of Thai registered aircraft. It lasted until my medical expried.

Flying up over the and through mountains around Chiang Mai was superb.

CMFC were great and really helpful. You can learn to fly there, but the rules for Thailand are slightly diffferent to other parts of the world.

I am not sure I heard it right, but I believe they have a personality test. I am not sure I would have passed that one :o

This has got me thinking, I haven't flown for 7 years, I'm 66 years old but healthy, I hold a FAA ATR, and have a total of more than 24000 hours, mostly on F.27 as a captain.

Would it be possible to get a Thai PPL with this background, I do have a few thousand hours as a flight instructor in Cyprus mostly C 150 and C172.

This has got me thinking, I haven't flown for 7 years, I'm 66 years old but healthy, I hold a FAA ATR, and have a total of more than 24000 hours, mostly on F.27 as a captain.

Would it be possible to get a Thai PPL with this background, I do have a few thousand hours as a flight instructor in Cyprus mostly C 150 and C172.

If you have your license and can pass the flight medical I don't see why not. Here are the procedures for converting your foreign license to Thai:

http://www.thaiflyingclub.com/linkvalidationprocedure2.html

and the application form:

http://www.thaiflyingclub.com/linkdcalicen...dationform.html