Bee Gees Singer Robin Gibb Dies Aged 62 After Long Battle With Cancer

webfact

Bee Gees singer Robin Gibb dies aged 62 after long battle with cancer

By SARAH FITZMAURICE and SARA NATHAN

527px-RobinGibb.jpg

Robin Gibb 2008. File photo, source: wikimedia

Robin Gibb has died aged 62

LONDON: -- The musician died after undergoing intestinal surgery and due to his long battle with cancer.

'The family of Robin Gibb, of the Bee Gees, announce with great sadness that Robin passed away today following his long battle with cancer and intestinal surgery. The family have asked that their privacy is respected at this very difficult time,' family spokesman Doug Wright said.

The father-of-three had been battling colon and liver cancer.

Fears for the star’s health were first raised last year when he appeared looking gaunt on a TV show to promote his single for Poppy Day.

But Mr Gibb tried to allay any rumours about his health after admitting he had cancer – but claiming he had beaten it, saying doctors had told him: ‘It’s gone, they’ve told me they can’t see it no more, I’ve done it.’

Following a relapse last month, his wife Dwina, 59, spoke of her joy after the singer woke from a 12-day coma despite being given just a 10 per cent chance of survival by doctors.

She had been told to start making plans for the musician’s passing as he slumped into a coma after contracting pneumonia.

But Mr Gibb defied the odds and regained consciousness as music from his Titanic Requiem played.

Mrs Gibb and her family had held a constant bedside vigil for the star - and had been playing his favourite music to try and rouse him.

And she revealed that he cried when she played him Roy Orbison’s 1962 song Crying.

She said: ‘We played music to him for about ten days so we asked him if he wanted to listen to any more music and he said no - we’ve bombarded him with music for about 10 days. It was very interesting...’

Full story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2147335/Bee-Gees-singer-Robin-Gibb-dies-aged-62-long-battle-cancer.html

-- Mail Online 2012-05-21

footer_n.gif

Condolences to his mum. That's both twins she has lost. No parent should have to lose their children. She lost the youngest Andy in 1998.

Edited by Mosha

This one is my favourite of yours... RIP mate.

[media=]

[/media]

me too...and also liked this one...

when in discussion with a knowlegible associate in 1967 I offered: 'and what do you think about the Bee Gees?' and he replied: 'not your standard R&B but original music and with a niche...'...but this was before the disco when the american negroes hijacked popular music...

anyway, the Bee Gees had some great songs that still reverberate and they will always be remembered...

Edited by tutsiwarrior