Dropped 1 Baht Coin...Do You Pick It Up?

eeeya

There have been a couple of times when my wife has just about done a commando roll at the same time as almost pulling me off my feet to get to a one baht coin someone dropped on the footpath (only slight exageration used), but yes I usually will pick up a coin that I drop, unless its a busy place and picking up said dropped coin may result in stepped on fingers.

If more women went commando they'd be a lot more coins on the floor.

• Like 2

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"What is a one baht coin?" biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png Like it.

Approx.2p sterling.

My mind has boggled.

It's ten pence to have a piddle in many UK public toilets nowadays.

1/5 of a leak then.

Edited by Beechboy

If I drop 1 baht my girlfriend bends down to get it so quickly it lands on the back of her head - makes it easy for me to pick up.

My ex wife had the precision of a Kingfisher with a stickleback. I have no idea what a pound coin actually sounds like as I never heard one hit the floor! :)

• Like 1

If I drop 1 baht my girlfriend bends down to get it so quickly it lands on the back of her head - makes it easy for me to pick up.

My ex wife had the precision of a Kingfisher with a stickleback. I have no idea what a pound coin actually sounds like as I never heard one hit the floor! smile.png

Cant work out if i should take my rubbish down to the bin once or twice a day,any advice would be grealy appreciated.

My ex wife had the precision of a Kingfisher with a stickleback. I have no idea what a pound coin actually sounds like as I never heard one hit the floor! smile.png

Cant work out if i should take my rubbish down to the bin once or twice a day,any advice would be grealy appreciated.

Yeah... and when you get your answer to that, can you tell me if I should put the milk bottles out on Monday and Thursday...sad.png

so that I know when to check if the milkman has droped a coin....wink.png

Edited by kevjohn

I usually imagine some kid will find it and he/she will get much more out of that experience then I would.

Yes.....it certainly does put a big smile on their face...thumbsup.gif

I always pick up a coin if I drop it, even a 25 satang coin. I also pick up paper or trash if I drop it. I wonder if there is a correlation?

I once bent over and picked up something much worse though.

Someone in my entourage picks it up.

smile.png

is that after the team in front have thrown down a bed of 1 baht coins for you to walk upon

If you are familiar with Thai culture you know that is a serious faux pas. wink.png

Yes, I found out when I thought it would be funny to put my 1 baht coins on the escalator to watch them roll around when they got to the bottom.

My wife was none to happy. It wasn't that it was money. It was whose image was on those coins. Lesson learnt.

But I do find it somewhat embarrassing to try and pick up a 1 baht coin from a tilled floor...but also embarrassing to simply walk away when others are watching, them thinking that I think I am too rich to pick up a 1 baht coin...so I usually try, but a few times I give up and leave it...

This thread has prompted me to start employing dwarves (Plural).

This has the following benefits:

1) They have less distance to crouch down when picking up my dropped change.

2) If I drop a series of coins more than one dwarf ensures maximum recovery.

3) If get lost they can stand on each others shoulders and give me directions.

4) I employ those otherwise difficult to employ and feel good about doing something for humanity.

5) When I'm looking for something they don't get in my way.

6) They fit neatly into the luggage space of my 4x4.

7) When I'm bored I can get them to juggle and perform 'slap-stick' humour.

8) With good communication they can be my chauffeur (one on the breaks, the other on the steering).

9) They act as good couvert security - try and thieve my recovered 1 baht coins and they'll 'nut you in the nuts'

I saw a coin go through the bottom of the escalator with a bang. Escalator was stopped for a fair while after that. the power of 1 baht bringing modern technology to a stand still!

Sent from my HTC One X using Thaivisa Connect App

I saw a coin go through the bottom of the escalator with a bang. Escalator was stopped for a fair while after that. the power of 1 baht bringing modern technology to a stand still!

I await with baited breath for the next exciting post on dropped coins. Come on fellows, get real, get a hobby.

I await with baited breath for the next exciting post on dropped coins. Come on fellows, get real, get a hobby.

Do you have a sardine in your mouth ?... May I suggest a study of Etymology and Spelling?... I'll start you off, its 'bated breath', unless of course you really are trying to catch something.

if a thread about dropped coins is so tiresome and boring ,why dont you get yourself a hobby AND STOP READING IT ?

• Like 1

To use the OP's 10 second number:

That is 1baht/10seconds = 1baht/10seconds x 60sec/min x 60min/hour = 360 baht/hour.

So, if you are cool to work for 360 baht an hour, theoretically, you should pick it up. This, of course, excludes various extenuating circumstances such as desire to try and not look like a doofus, or a pure lack of brainpower to figure this all out (watch my math is probably wrong, haha).

That is 1baht/10seconds = 1baht/10seconds x 60sec/min x 60min/hour = 360 baht/hour.

So, if you are cool to work for 360 baht an hour, theoretically, you should pick it up. This, of course, excludes various extenuating circumstances such as desire to try and not look like a doofus, or a pure lack of brainpower to figure this all out (watch my math is probably wrong, haha).

Yes, again, what is 60x60?

Hint - it isn't 360 (that's 60x6)

So much for brainpower and not looking like a doofus 8-)

And even if it were 360 working only a 40-hour week comes to nearly B63,000 per month, or more than double the average farang teacher in Thailand, so not bad.

Ten times that woah cool!

But if you spent all your time doing nothing but picking up coins, I suspect your back would give out pretty darn quick.

Somehow I think this thread's run out of steam. . .

We have a box from a charity for the blind in our office all my one baht coins go in there.

Ah, but what do you do if you drop the 1 baht coin before you get a chance to deposit it into the charity box ?

The office cleaning / coffee making woman picks it up and puts it in the box.

Yes, again, what is 60x60?

Hint - it isn't 360 (that's 60x6)

So much for brainpower and not looking like a doofus 8-)

And even if it were 360 working only a 40-hour week comes to nearly B63,000 per month, or more than double the average farang teacher in Thailand, so not bad.

Ten times that woah cool!

But if you spent all your time doing nothing but picking up coins, I suspect your back would give out pretty darn quick.

Somehow I think this thread's run out of steam. . .

Well, I never said 60x60 was 360. I did say (essentially) 60x60/10(sec) is 360. Anyway, the math is right. I'm not sure who the dufuss is at this point. And yes, the actual time it would take to pick up a baht -- 1 or 2 seconds -- you'd multiply 360baht per hour by 10 and 5 respectively. Those numbers are definitely worth it for almost everybody. Logic should really make everyone wonder why nobody picks them up.

Edited by meand

I've seen the same satang on the ground 3 days in a row out the front of ekkamai cinemas.. if its there tomorrow I shall take a photo and post it... maybe I could pick it up.

Sorry I know this thread is about 1 baht coins and my discussion of satang is off topic. I don't want to hijack the thread.

Those numbers are definitely worth it for almost everybody. Logic should really make everyone wonder why nobody picks them up.

Because if I spent every hour stooped over picking up coins (where do they all come from to make your figures anyway?) my back would be <deleted> and it would cost me more to have repaired.

We have a box from a charity for the blind in our office all my one baht coins go in there.

Ah, but what do you do if you drop the 1 baht coin before you get a chance to deposit it into the charity box ?

The office cleaning / coffee making woman picks it up and puts it in the box.

Guess you can hear her coming from far away. :rolleyes:

Those numbers are definitely worth it for almost everybody. Logic should really make everyone wonder why nobody picks them up.

Because if I spent every hour stooped over picking up coins (where do they all come from to make your figures anyway?) my back would be <deleted> and it would cost me more to have repaired.

It isn't about picking so many up, it is about the hourly wage of picking one up. By the numbers, you are turning down an hourly wage of 3600 baht per hour by not picking one up, assuming it takes one second to pick up. Yet, I guess the reason we don't pick them up is even if we picked up every one we saw, we'd only earn say 1 or 2 thousand baht in a lifetime. The immediate realized benefit isn't there.

Interestingly, to follow up on your question, I bet if somebody did unload a few million 1 baht coins in the streets they'd be gone quick. Need a 20 baht bts ride, you'd see people grab 20 and they would all be gone soon. In that scenario, people could immediately realize the benefit -- yet they would not pick up those same 20 coins over a one year or so period. Illogical? Yes, probably. But that is for each to decide for themselves.

Edited by meand