20K Baht Car Key!

I lost my Vios remote car key recently and Toyota have quoted me 20028baht for another one.

15K Baht to change the security box.

Is there anything I can do to get another remote key for my Vios rather than pay that outrageous price?

I can use the ordinary spare one but the horn alarms every time you unlock a door. Not good for the neighbours at 6am every morning!!

Thanks in advance.

NormanW

you should have got with your new car documents a small sticker or some such that has a barcode on it that allows them to generate a new key without changing the security box.

do you have it?

Depending on where you live, try to find a RALLY shop/centre.

They have a lot of things very much cheaper as the Toyota/Isuzu/Ford/Mazda/Nissan/Chevrolet and other dealers.

Quite able people actually.

Reasonable prices, good after service.

Last time I was there saw a complete safety box, keys, doorlocks, security for 13,000 baht.

They also have keys/transmitters for existing locks,

You need the security code

Bad day sick.gif my sympathy's that's a problem the system alone is expensive enough.

We had 2 keys with our OEM alarmed Toyota truck and a key with a tag code.

You could dis-arm the system so you can just lock it but I guess it's becomes an issue when coming to sell it.sad.png

As said there's after market independant systems out there.

Bad day sick.gif my sympathy's that's a problem the system alone is expensive enough.

You could dis-arm the system so you can just lock it but I guess it's becomes an issue when coming to sell it.sad.png

Thanks for your replies so far.

It's not going to be cheap - arhhhhhh

I might just disconnect the horn 555

Thanks for your replies so far.

It's not going to be cheap - arhhhhhh

I might just disconnect the horn 555

How about disconnecting the alarm itself...thieves knows how to do it tongue.pngwink.pnglaugh.png

Spit balling here

But the problem is that you should change it all because someone might have your key and know your car and then be able to steal it.

So say you change it all, what happens to the old system?

Couldn't a cheap key be made for it and then resell it to someone with the same problem, because hey "what's the chance of the lost key being matched to the old system being installed into a different car"?

So if you were to pay the 13-20k Baht price, who's keeping the old system? Is the shop going to take it and do what I was thinking and then profiting even more?

Could you cut the price down to 6-10k by telling them to keep it?

Or just use the code, replace the missing key and hope that it's lost and not in someone's possession.

Yeh , I lost the key while out on a ride on the big bike so it could be any where now.

I checked with the insurance it they don't cover key loss.

I'm going to try and disconnect the horn tomorrow and then research a bit more on a new system.

Any which way to look at it, it's a costly thing losing a remote key sad.png

Thanks again for all the advice to date.

NormanW

Edited by NormanW

Yeh , I lost the key while out on a ride on the big bike so it could be any where now.

I'm going to try and disconnect the horn tomorrow and then research a bit more on a new system.

NormanW

Sorry for your troubles, but rather than disconnecting the horn, why not disconnect the link, from the security system, that drives the horn. A good auto electrician could probably do this in a few minutes.

Good luck.

NormanW

Sorry for your troubles, but rather than disconnecting the horn, why not disconnect the link, from the security system, that drives the horn. A good auto electrician could probably do this in a few minutes.

Good luck.

Thanks for that jombom, I will try it today after work to see if it can be done.

Can't help thinking why it's sooo expensive to replace a remote key. I will also try another dealer to confirm the extortionate price.

NormanW

If you still have the spare remote key you can get it replaced very cheaply at many locksmiths. If you have lost this you have to change the unit.

Arh, OK thanks for that.

The one and only remote key is lost and I have 2 ordinary keys which I am now using but every time you unlock the car the alarm/horn sounds.

Cheers

There is a sound message with this topic that if you bye a new or used ride make sure the metal key and information tag is kept safe or comes with the used ride. smile.png

Correct.

I have the metal tag with the number on and will (when I get time) go to a Toyota dealer in Pattaya to compare the price given to me from the Rayong dealer.

I've disconnected the alarm horn (as there is a normal horn as well) which is very easily located at the back of the bulkhead.

Can use the spare ordinary key now without waking up the neighbours.

Phew.

Toyota alarm systems can be modified by the remote itself to activate the alarm when you open and lock the doors on the car using the remote.

From memory, you press the "unlock" button and the "panic" button at the same time and this should de-activate the horn sounding when unlocking the car in future.

Or just go into the Toyota dealership and let them do it.

Well, That's good.

As a matter of interest, how much did it cost and how long did it take ??

Thanks.

Did it myself. It took 3 secs.

Will go to another Toyota dealer to see if they can get a new remote key (which I have lost) for a lot less then 20k!!!

I recently replaced the remote key on a Fortuna. It cost about 4K (from a dealer) but I did still have another functioning remote key so not sure if that makes a difference. I didn't do it myself so don't know the details but I just asked the staff member that dealt with it to check. I'll let you know what she comes back with.

I recently replaced the remote key on a Fortuna. It cost about 4K (from a dealer) but I did still have another functioning remote key so not sure if that makes a difference. I didn't do it myself so don't know the details but I just asked the staff member that dealt with it to check. I'll let you know what she comes back with.

Just got the info that without another remote key they do indeed need to change the receiver box. The cost for a Fortuna is approx 8K for the box and 5K for 2 keys. Total 13K.

Just got the info that without another remote key they do indeed need to change the receiver box. The cost for a Fortuna is approx 8K for the box and 5K for 2 keys. Total 13K.

She just informed me that the price for a Vios is about the same. However, according to our dealer, if you have the original non-remote key (and the car) it isn't necessary to change the box. Doesn't sound too logical to me but that is what they say.......

She just informed me that the price for a Vios is about the same. However, according to our dealer, if you have the original non-remote key (and the car) it isn't necessary to change the box. Doesn't sound too logical to me but that is what they say.......

The non-remote key has the ID code tag.

Cheers for that Dork and Transam.

I have the code of a silver tag on one of the spare keys.

Will sort it when I get time and report back.

Thanks again. wai.gif