Which Of These Motherboards Is Better?

davejonesbkk

Personally I'm an Asus fan and is all I've ever purchased. However, if we just look at the specs the Gigabyte appears to be ahead. It supports the newer Z77 chipset versus the Asus Sandy Bridge Z68 and as such uses less power and has a few additional features. Gigabyte supports 4 USB 3 versus 2 on the Asus. May not be important at the moment but will be later. Both have 2 6Gb SATA ports. One disadvantage of the Gigabyte is that it only has an HDMI video out and no DVI/VGA like the ASUS. Not an issue if you wish to buy your own video card.

Intel Z chipsets differences.

Anandtech Z77

Nowadays I prefer Gigabyte, great build quality, but this particular board isn't well known. In this case I'd probably go w/ the Asus. A step up would be the GIGABYTE Z77X-D3H, well reviewed but also newer.

Yes the build quality of the Gigabyte mothers boards are good. Lately people have been having problems with the build quality of Asus motherboards.

But the problem I found was the Asus motherboards use an AMI bios, whereas the Gigabyte motherboards use an Award bios. I have had several instances with the Award bios not being compatible. Whereas I never had a compatibility issue with an AMI bios.

OP, be aware that you are comparing boards based on two different chipsets. I'm running a Z68 right now and am very happy with it, but the Z77's are newer and support more features. Something to do some research on is whether or not you really need PCIe 3.

I'll also echo what has been said about Asus build quality of later, esp. their bargain boards, like the P8Z68V_LX, which, btw, was the first board I had in my system. Had to return it. I'm running now with an ASRock Z68 board, great price and couldn't be happier. That said I've had great success with Gigabyte in the past too.

I bought the ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe July last year and had some blue screen problems with it (one a day) for the first 9 months which reported as Nvidia Graphics driver problems. These have been fixed with the most recent ASUS Motherboard BIOS update so if its older stock make sure the BIOS is up to date. Since then it has been rock solid but the Win 7 reported performance has reduced slightly (memory went from 7.9 to 7.8) . Note that my Z68 board comes with some weird internal intel graphics processing support (no connector) and the ability to connect a small SSD cache to improve processing if you dont have an SSD. If you arent using these turn them off in the BIOS because they use memory.