Bangkok-Chiang Mai High Speed Rail Ready By 2018: Transport Ministry

webfact

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope they sort out the rail crossings and make safety the no.1 consideration.

It can take a train a full mile or more to brake – even after it has hit something.

About 15,000 people die every year trying to cross the tracks of India's rail network.

Anybody know the stats for Thailand. I know that last week, here in Hua Hin, a Thai crossed the local track on his motor bike, tried to beat the on coming train, misjudged its speed and was killed instantly.

Edited by scduck

i took 5 years for the airport link and that is merely 30 km long... so, it will be ready in about 25 years ? more realistic

at that rate for that distance...1,347 km is going to take a lot longer at 224 years.... whistling.gif

Under a total budget of 983.47 billion baht, the Transport Ministry has plans to construct 5 high-speed rail routes, including Bangkok-Chiang Mai, Bangkok-Nong Khai, Bangkok-Ubon Ratchathani, Bangkok-Rayong, and Bangkok-Padang Besar.

I look forward to riding the 1,347 kilometers of high-speed rail between chiang mai and padang besar in six years.

I remember the accident of the high speed train in China last year ...... is it the same model which will come in Thailand ? The Chinese only copied the french TGV I just wonder if it will be as reliable. I guess not ....China is famous for his low quality products.

Accident was a result of lightning strike - not quality of train. However, it still could have been prevented if somebody on board had used their mobile -

Another Hopewell Project a.k.a. the Hopeless Project funded by me, the tax payer?

I wish they would start the BTS project and extend the project to Lam Lukka. I have been waiting for this for 4 years now. Our housing estate promoted this during the sale but there is no sign of it yet.

In general I hope this government will stop these populist projects, (including the "within 2 months outdated tablets"), and focus more on long term improvement of current living conditions but I guess that would be wishful thinking.

Each months I pay about 50K thb in taxes and hope we can soon find some government activity that shows that this money is put to good use like education or road upgrades etc. but I guess this is also just another silly idea.

In the end of the day we all know that politics in Thailand is not worth following since nothing will change. I will do my best to find ways to avoid paying too much taxes and to adapted to the way of living in order not too be too annoyed about a lot of things.

Last but not least, why not sponsor a kid so you can see them growing up, how they do in school and sending you a thank you letter every year.http://www.ccfthai.o...sponsership.php

Perhaps there is still hope if we do it ourselves...

I notice, the much vaunted line going to Nongkhai to allow good and passenger trains to pass from China all the way to Singapore is mentioned, but only in passing. With the numerous factories moving to the Northeast having started to relocate out of the flood areas, it would be a godsend to have a decent rail line up there.

Add in the increasing costs of logistics with oil prices surely this would be of massive benefit to the country in terms of getting bulk and other goods to the ports for export? I don't begrudge Chiangmai a decent rail link, 14 hours overnight is a joke in this day and age.

• Like 1

I wish they would start the BTS project and extend the project to Lam Lukka. I have been waiting for this for 4 years now. Our housing estate promoted this during the sale but there is no sign of it yet.

This kind of promotion should generally not be taken into account for any property decision making, unless you already see some structural work emerging. Even than it might not reliable, as the already mentioned Hopewell Project clearly showed.

What they mean to say is that they hope to have acquired all the land necessary (by paying off all the appropriate individuals) by 2018. This is guaranteed to be marred by politics, brazen corruption, catty bureaucratic infighting, and general incompetence. I wouldn't trust anyone from this country to properly operate an apparatus that has parts moving at 300 km/hour. This is fixing to truly be the next public relations disaster for Thailand and the Thai government in so many ways.

I have more faith in the Thai government to build a safe high speed train than I do the Chinese. Riding the Shanghai subway, especially Line 10, is more dangerous than what you find in Bangkok. I was riding Line 10 when the two trains in front of me slammed into each other sending over 200 people to the hospital. Haven't seen anything that dramatic since being in BKK.

Even companies like Siemens/Germany had huge problems that had caused serious accidents. One killed hundreds of people, but it looks like it's safe now.

I'd never ever sit on a Chinese made high speed train with 1 GB memory...............rolleyes.gif

I notice, the much vaunted line going to Nongkhai to allow good and passenger trains to pass from China all the way to Singapore is mentioned, but only in passing. With the numerous factories moving to the Northeast having started to relocate out of the flood areas, it would be a godsend to have a decent rail line up there.

Add in the increasing costs of logistics with oil prices surely this would be of massive benefit to the country in terms of getting bulk and other goods to the ports for export? I don't begrudge Chiangmai a decent rail link, 14 hours overnight is a joke in this day and age.

I have mentioned this a million times - incorporating the next 3 biggest cities+Nong Khai-border runs--Vientienne--and up to China. Who the hell is plugging this Chiang Mai obsession-The P.M. family ??? home for them. Half of Thailand live in Issan-ask Thaksin, he did his homework.

The Chinese are the experts? HOw interesting. let's hope that they use mortal instead of just plain sand as they used in their own system. A high speed rail system should be build either by Japanese, by Germans or the French, no one else really have the expertise.

How long did the Channel Tunnel take? (I forget). (Ok, going under the sea is a bit different than this route.)

But what would scare me is the adequacy of the rail bed to take the weight of a high-speed train, not to mention the possibility of frequent floods. No way 6 years is adequate.

Why the immediate knee-jerk mention of Shinawatra. Bkk and CM are Thailand's two biggest cities...perfectly logical to connect those two cities, like NY to Boston, or London to Brum or Paris to Lyon etc

CM is only the 8th largest city in Thailand.

I think you are missing the point here. The reason that the Chinese are interested is that they eventually want to link up Chiang Mai with their Kunming Province and open a rail route for exporting their products through Indochina. A similar project is being thought out along the Ho Chi Minh Trail through Cambodia, also pioneered by China. So, as long as China is involved, this rail project is quite feasible provided China is heavily involved. And if it does go ahead it would be the catalyst to finally modernise the Thai Rail Network that has been held back due to the use of the metre gauge...Let us hope that it doesn't end up as being a politically motivated project that ends up nowhere.

• Like 2

Great news. Everyone was skeptical about the subway and sky train and it worked out well. I would like to hear from people who are positive and not doom day wishers.

This is what Thailand needs. Think positive for a better Thailand not wishing or hoping everything goes wrong.

Since 1989 I have been here through 2 military coups, when a PM only lasted 2 years at most. Building contracts had to be renegotiated after regime change and nothing got done. Thailand has changed a lot since then and a government more in touch with the people. I can go on and on but in short the government has changed for the better in the last 10 years. Is more needed, yes. The high speed rail is a step in the right direction.

Randy

• Like 1

I have mentioned this a million times - incorporating the next 3 biggest cities+Nong Khai-border runs--Vientienne--and up to China. Who the hell is plugging this Chiang Mai obsession-The P.M. family ??? home for them. Half of Thailand live in Issan-ask Thaksin, he did his homework.

Less then a third lives in Isan. And why do you think a BKK - Nong Khai express train service is rewarding to an Ubon or Sisaket etc resident??

They have to start off with something.

How long did the Channel Tunnel take? (I forget). (Ok, going under the sea is a bit different than this route.)

But what would scare me is the adequacy of the rail bed to take the weight of a high-speed train, not to mention the possibility of frequent floods. No way 6 years is adequate.

Why the immediate knee-jerk mention of Shinawatra. Bkk and CM are Thailand's two biggest cities...perfectly logical to connect those two cities, like NY to Boston, or London to Brum or Paris to Lyon etc

Yes, and CM with its agglomeration is the second.

I do not think Thailand is ready for this, let them solve the flood problems first and learn Thai to drive. Such a railway is asking for many problems and a need of thousants of security personel.

I agree... sounds dangerous. At least drivers wont flee the scene at 300kmh

Yes, and CM with its agglomeration is the second.

Nope

http://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%B7%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%88%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%94%E0%B9%83%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B0%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%A8%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%A2%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%88%E0%B8%B3%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B0%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A3

• Nakhon Ratchasima 2,582,089
  • Ubon Ratchathani 1,813,088
  • Khon Kaen 1,767,601
  • Chiang Mai 1,640,479
  • Buri Ram 1,553,765
  • Udon Thani 1,544,786
  • Nakhon Si Thammarat 1,522,561
  • Si Sa Ket 1,452,471
  • Surin 1,381,761
  • Songkhla 1,357,023
  • Chon Buri 1,316,293
  • Roi Et 1,309,708
  • Chiang Rai 1,198,218
  • Samut Prakan 1,185,180
  • Chaiyaphum 1,127,423

With agglomerations

• Like 1

Doesn't a feasibility study try to determine WHETHER the project is feasible? Perhaps announcing the completion date is a little premature.

Some of the land in the railway corridors may need to be resumed, I guess... and equipment purchased... that's a lot of concrete and rails... 6 years, huh? ... hmmmmm

That was the VERY first thing that sprung to my mind also: does that make me a 'Reasonable Man' also ? ? ? (ha, ha, ha,)

All kidding aside: this government comes out with the most incredible statement, later to be retracted . . . . causing "loss of face"; why not prevent this and simply announce a Feasibility Study . . . . causes just as much excitement, without the possibility of losing face !

Duuh !

The Chinese are the experts? HOw interesting. let's hope that they use mortal instead of just plain sand as they used in their own system. A high speed rail system should be build either by Japanese, by Germans or the French, no one else really have the expertise.

Yeah; you ever been to Shanghai recently, mate ? That train flashed by at a bit under 400 Km/Hr and if you happen to blink; you've just missed the thing . . . Unbelievable and what an incredible achievement for the Chinese (with lots of help from the Germans, btw). Oh; and that train's been running for at least 5 years, without any major hitches ! (Principle of Magnetism which also makes the darn thing almost noiseless: it is truly amazing)