Shocked And Flabergasted At Rimping Today

gennisis

Agreeing with Rob from Sausage KIng that he uses only the best( and imported items where necessary )and sells at a very reasonable price,I was completly gobsmacked when I looked into the Sausage King freezer this morning

MASHED POTATOES...maybe 2 servings sprinkled with parsley at over 120 baht a pack.

GRAVY frozen into a block at over 120 Bht a block.

Now come on. Potatoes at about 55 baht a Kilo but cooked and mashed and sold at at least x 5?? and the gravy 80% water at a similar mark up.

Either these labels were wrong or someone is taking the p-ss.

Something is not right when a Sausage King pie costs 40% less than the mash.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their lamb and beef is quite expensive and their sausages at 260b a kilo and more....you can get at 230b a kilo elsewhere....but no idea on quality difference.....also free delivery elsewhere.

You of course have taken into account the 30% or more that Rimping add comission plus the tax on the sales price which leaves maybe 65%

Then there is the labour he pays his employees plus the company tax and rent for his premises.

• Like 1

You of course have taken into account the 30% or more that Rimping add comission plus the tax on the sales price which leaves maybe 65%

Then there is the labour he pays his employees plus the company tax and rent for his premises.

Isn't that the same as every company 7.gif

Isn't that the same as every company 7.gif

Yes....that is why he cannot sell mashed potatoes at 55 baht a kilo.

what would a plate of mashed potatoes the same size cost at say the Old Bell?

Honestly, who cares? If you deem the product too expensive don't purchase it. If nobody purchases them then they will no longer be produced. Welcome to free market economics.

Sometimes I wonder how much people have going on in their lives in this city?

Agree. It seems that some of these places (e.g., Rimping, Tops) price certain farang foods at outrageous prices, knowing that some bozo will pay most anything, which is nuts. I checked out a small casserole dish (microwaveable) at Tops that was priced at 175 bt. Way overpriced. One time they marked it down to like 50 bt. I bought some. It was good. But not worth 175 bt. If they mark it down again, I'll buy some.

Next thing would be precooked rice.

Been there done that......sticky rice and stop at any roadside stall and ask for a bag of rice..... usually 10 or 20b.

Was thinking supermarket places, but point taken. smile.png

Oh come one, surely I'm not the only one who has bought pre-cooked rice sometimes. Let's see, we bought it when we first came here and lived in a serviced apartment without kitchen facilities. They have wonderful pre-cooked meals-to-go at Tanin Market and, of course, you need rice to go with them.

Even now, with a fully equiped kitched, sometimes Hubby is send out on a mission just before he thinks he's getting a home-cooked dinner when I discovered the rice cooker has been in the "warm" setting and not the "cook" setting for the past hour!

Isn't buying pre cooked food just laziness.Very few people I would suggest don't have kitchen. Buying mashed potaoes and casserole packs when you can cook up more than you need at home, and leave what you dont use, in the fridge for another day. Maybe a poll on who uses the fresh food markets and saves heaps of money against buying at Rimping/Tops would confirm that the take away mentality is alive and well in CM.

• Like 1

mashed potatoes are always expensive here. At KFC (I know don't kill me) A chicken breast is 35 baht but a small mashed (lg. to them) is 89 baht. Or something like that.

You are getting ripped off if you are paying 55Baht a kilo for potatoes. 30-35 is standard and less if you buy in bulk. So if he was charging 100 baht for a 1/2 kilo package of mashed that would be reasonable. Expensive since making mashed is easy, but if you calculate the cost of workers, packaging, shipping, and retail mark up. I don't think that it is a big deal.

I wouldn't pay for it, but I wouldn't be shocked and flabergasted.

mashed potatoes are always expensive here. At KFC (I know don't kill me) A chicken breast is 35 baht but a small mashed (lg. to them) is 89 baht. Or something like that.

You are getting ripped off if you are paying 55Baht a kilo for potatoes. 30-35 is standard and less if you buy in bulk. So if he was charging 100 baht for a 1/2 kilo package of mashed that would be reasonable. Expensive since making mashed is easy, but if you calculate the cost of workers, packaging, shipping, and retail mark up. I don't think that it is a big deal.

I wouldn't pay for it, but I wouldn't be shocked and flabergasted.

Muang Mai sell them for 20/kg smile.png

I won't venture to stick my neck out in the confrontation of take away food vs. cooked at home, or the price of potatoes here or there or elsewhere.

But I will say (and this has been said many many times before) that Rimping is a different kind of store, a sort of boutique (in French it simply means "store"; different connotation in English) place where one can find lots of speciality food items not found elsewhere.

Organic green vegetables.

Fresh seafood and meats hands-down better than the hypermarkets or Tops

Farang condiments unavailable elsewhere.

Japanese foods and condiments.

Decent (not wonderful) bread items.

Large cheese/charcuterie selection.

Great (though pricey) wine and spirits.

This is not an apologia for Rimping.

Rimping is good for certain specific things, and I always go there with a shopping list, and buy only the items that they excel at.

Why anyone would even consider buying frozen mashed potatoes, is beyond me. At Rimping, or anywhere.....

Isn't buying pre cooked food just laziness.Very few people I would suggest don't have kitchen. Buying mashed potaoes and casserole packs when you can cook up more than you need at home, and leave what you dont use, in the fridge for another day. Maybe a poll on who uses the fresh food markets and saves heaps of money against buying at Rimping/Tops would confirm that the take away mentality is alive and well in CM.

That same logic can be applied to every consumer good under the sun. Do you also buy freshly cut trees to carve your own furniture? Do you buy cotton to make your own clothes? Both of those would would save you heaps more money than just going to the store and buying pre-made items. Does that mean you're just lazy?

Its really about convenience, I guess.. Just as you probably lack the time and the skills necessary to convert raw cotton to thread, weave it to cloth and then stitch your own clothes, the same concept applies to other people when it comes to preparing food.

Some of us are not old retirees, with nothing better to do that waste our time cooking elaborate dinners while we wait to die. Some of us have full time jobs where we put in 60, 80 hours a week and/ or don't know how to cook. Sure I could squander what precious little free time I have left over in the week to try to prepare a casserole. But I'd much rather drop a little coin on a pre-made one and be able to dedicate my remaining free time to more meaningful pursuits.

-Mestizo

"...........wait to die." Come on, that's a bit strong. I'm a retiree and I don't have enough hours in the day to do all the things I want to do.

• Like 1

That same logic can be applied to every consumer good under the sun. Do you also buy freshly cut trees to carve your own furniture? Do you buy cotton to make your own clothes? Both of those would would save you heaps more money than just going to the store and buying pre-made items. Does that mean you're just lazy?

Its really about convenience, I guess.. Just as you probably lack the time and the skills necessary to convert raw cotton to thread, weave it to cloth and then stitch your own clothes, the same concept applies to other people when it comes to preparing food.

Some of us are not old retirees, with nothing better to do that waste our time cooking elaborate dinners while we wait to die. Some of us have full time jobs where we put in 60, 80 hours a week and/ or don't know how to cook. Sure I could squander what precious little free time I have left over in the week to try to prepare a casserole. But I'd much rather drop a little coin on a pre-made one and be able to dedicate my remaining free time to more meaningful pursuits.

-Mestizo

"...........wait to die." Come on, that's a bit strong. I'm a retiree and I don't have enough hours in the day to do all the things I want to do.

Have you slowed down that much. blink.png

SK was telling me the last time he delivered that Rimping had been mis pricing some stuff maybe that was it since they put there prices on the stuff

DK

Coincidently I am warming up a SK pot pie for 80 baht. I also have a package of breakfast sausages in my frig. The label, including the price is under the plastic wrap and with a SK letterhead. Lets put the blame game where it belongs.

KFC prices are regional and I find the mashed prices in line with here. I just picked up some KFC and the small mashed cost 29 Baht. Malaysia it is around 21 Baht, New Zealand around 64 Baht and US around 52 Baht.

people don't really buy pre-made mashed potatoes do they?

The SK sells to the rich and famous not to the poor and dumb

SK products are quite good value if you buy them direct and the quality is good.