Citizenship

I was born in Thailand in 1982 to foreign parents. At the time I was not eligible for Thai citizenship. I have heard that the law has changed and that I may now be eligible for Thai citizenship. Any know if this is true and what the procedures are?

I just read that children born in Thailand of legal aliens are Thai citizens. Are tourists/visitors considered legal aliens or does it mean legal permanent residents?

Edited by bashar1982

I was born in Thailand in 1982 to foreign parents.  At the time I was not eligible for Thai citizenship.  I have heard that the law has changed and that I may now be eligible for Thai citizenship.  Any know if this is true and what the procedures are?

I just read that children born in Thailand of legal aliens are Thai citizens.  Are tourists/visitors considered legal aliens or does it mean legal permanent residents?

The child of tourists will not qualify. Sorry.

I was born in Thailand in 1982 to foreign parents.  At the time I was not eligible for Thai citizenship.  I have heard that the law has changed and that I may now be eligible for Thai citizenship.  Any know if this is true and what the procedures are?

I just read that children born in Thailand of legal aliens are Thai citizens.  Are tourists/visitors considered legal aliens or does it mean legal permanent residents?

The child of tourists will not qualify. Sorry.

true?

I have a friend, swiss, she was born here some 40 yrs ago, to swiss parents, and recently got citizenship without having to have residency first.

Thailand at some point extinguised the automatic right for those born on its soil to gain Thai nationality. Obviously, it has been in the past 40 years. Best to check with immigration and find out the cut off date for this right.

We gave birth to a child here in Thailand, both of us are foreigners, so just after birth our baby got 2 different passports...

As i have a business here, work permit etc... and a good secretary for this kind of questions i asked her if we could manage to get the baby the Thai Nationality.

The answer for the moment is no.

But at 16 years old the teenager will then be entitled to choose if she wants to be Thai.... 16 years away will be 2020 for our case and until then ??!!@@????? lots of water will pass under the bridges...

But most probably it is active now for people born 16 years ago and +... ??

===========================

Another problem was about visa for the baby. We do not need a visa as long as we do not leave the country...

And from now on as the baby left the country, she follows my visas as for my wife wich is not working here ....

We gave birth to a child here in Thailand, both of us are foreigners, so just after birth our baby got 2 different passports...

As i have a business here, work permit etc... and a good secretary for this kind of questions i asked her if we could manage to get the baby the Thai Nationality.

The answer for the moment is no.

But at 16 years old the teenager will then be entitled to choose if she wants to be Thai.... 16 years away will be 2020 for our case and until then ??!!@@????? lots of water will pass under the bridges...

But most probably it is active now for people born 16 years ago and +... ??

===========================

Another problem was about visa for the baby. We do not need a visa as long as we do not leave the country...

And from now on as the baby left the country, she follows my visas as for my wife wich is not working here ....

I believe it's 18, not 16.

Slightly changing direction, what's the score with a mixed race child (Thai/English) born here with regards to getting a UK passport as well as his Thai one???

Presume the always super helpful UK Embassy can do all this...?

:o

As long as the parents are legally married I believe it is reasonably straightforward.