Outlook Express Can't Open Address Book

Mumbo Jumbo

Ive just tried to open my Outlook Express address book, ( V. 5 ) and keep getting this notice...

The address book file has been locked by another application please close the other application and try again.

my problem is finding what the " other application " is....? any ideas please...

Thanks.......... Mumbo

Ive just tried to open my Outlook Express address book, ( V. 5 ) and keep getting this notice...

The address book file has been locked by another application please close the other application and try again.

my problem is finding what the " other application " is....? any ideas please...

Thanks.......... Mumbo

I assume your running Win98.

Have you tried opening the address book via the START>PROGRAMS>ACCESORIES>ADDRESS BOOK route?

Also, it may be wise to run a virus check on your system, as some malware attempt to "hijack" your address book data and use it to spread more virus's. If you don't have a virus checker installed, use one of the free online versions, such as Symantec, McAfee, AVG, etc.

Also check your STARTUP folder (START>RUN>(enter MSCONFIG in window and press OK) then click STARTUP tab. Make list and examine all programs with boxes containing check marks for "new" unknown names.

Post back your findings.

cheers

waldwolf

Thanks.......... Mumbo

I come across so many people still using outlook express - why not just use outlook? i have for years and its far better.