An Extra Gallon Of Gas For My Klx Thanks To Ims

3 gallon IMS tank on KLX!

Decided the stock 2 gallon (7.7 liter) stock tank on the KLX just isn't going to cut it for touring so ordered a 3 gallon (11.3 liter) IMS tank from http://www.justgastanks.com/

Pretty quick shipping but they ignored my request to declare cost price on the customs form so I got charged quite a bit of duty. Oh well, win some, lose some.

Swapping tanks is super easy-

IMSTankKLX351asm.jpg

Forgive the filthy bike icon_lol.gif

IMSTankKLX351bsm.jpg

Stock tank is tiny- only holds 7.7 liters of fuel.

IMSTankKLX351csm.jpg

Stock next to IMS. Cool thing is the plastic 3 gallon IMS doesn't weigh any more than the 2 gallon metal stock tank.

IMSTankKLX351dsm.jpg

Another view.

IMSTankKLX351esm.jpg

Installation is a breeze- the IMS fits perfectly and does not interfere with the carb or choke. One little hiccup- the IMS tank uses the fuel fittings from the stock tank, but it's made for the carb'd bike which has a different fuel tank, so I had to scrounge around Red Baron's used parts warehouse where I was lucky enough to find the tank fittings I needed.

Will have to get out and run the bike dry to see what kind of range I'll enjoy with the bigger tank.

IMSTankKLX351fsm.jpg

Happy Trails!

Tony bikeday_smilie.gif

Roughly on my crf with the 7.7 tank I have got 265 km with 2 litre left in tank I guesstimate about 25 km / litre so add 50 km onto that gives me a rough estimate of 315 km total ffrom the 7.7 tank

Actually that might be wrong it might have been 165 km with 2 litre left so total 215 km can't remember now .......lol

Edited by taninthai

Roughly on my crf with the 7.7 tank I have got 265 km with 2 litre left in tank I guesstimate about 25 km / litre so add 50 km onto that gives me a rough estimate of 315 km total ffrom the 7.7 tank

Actually that might be wrong it might have been 165 km with 2 litre left so total 215 km can't remember now .......lol

But with no headlight I can't imagine you'll be taking that bike on many long rides, right?

Correct thinking of putting headlight back on as was pretty lOst in a 500 rai palm, coconut and pineapple plantation the other day and it was 1 hour from getting dark started to worry a bit eventually found my way out but it could have turned into major problem

so you put the new carb fuel tank on your EFI bike?

Do all the plastics still fit?

What did you need in the way of parts to fit the fuel pump and everything else?

Would be interesting to see how it looks with the plastic bits on if they do fit...smile.png

Would be interesting to see how it looks with the plastic bits on if they do fit...smile.png

The only problem I can see with it is that the tank is now alot more exposed obviously the pals tics sit right up agaisnt it maybe it could be possible to crack tank if you took a heavy drop would have thought manufactures would have compensated for this with a more durable and tough design

The only problem I can see with it is that the tank is now alot more exposed obviously the pals tics sit right up agaisnt it maybe it could be possible to crack tank if you took a heavy drop would have thought manufactures would have compensated for this with a more durable and tough design

Aftermarket tanks like this IMS and similar ones from Acerbis and Clark are made of very tough High Density Polyethylene (HDPE). They are, in many ways, stronger than a traditional steel tank.

Modern plastic fuel tanks are considered safer in crashes because they are seamless and thus not prone to rupture in the vulnerable seam areas the way steel tanks do. HDPE tanks are not a source of sparks. Also, plastic tanks are maleable, not brittle and can deform and have some ability to rebound back to shape. When steel tanks absorb energy and deform, the pressure within the tank increases as the volume decreases. This makes them vulnerable at welded or clamped areas where failure can potentially occur.

Another advantage to a HDPE tank is that it will never rust or corrode like a steel tank can. Corrosion is a well-known concern on both the inside and outside surfaces of metal tanks. In contrast HDPE gas tanks are inert to the corrosive environments inside and outside the tank.

Ducati has been fighting a huge class action lawsuit over the failure of some of their plastic tanks. But the tanks in question are PA6 polyamide plastic, not HDPE. While it's a hotly contested issue, it seems that long term use of gasohol may play a large role in the weakening of some Ducati plastic tanks. I don't run this bike on gasohol as it could gum up the carb, so it's not a concern for me.

Interesting reading on the Ducati fuel tank lawsuit here: http://deformedfueltanks.com/

In all fairness, the issue is not specific to Ducati, and has been reported with motorcycles from other manufacturers including Aprillia, Triumph, KTM, MZ, Moto Guzzi, and Bimota.

Actually this bike has a Bill Blue 351 cc Big Bore kit which is paired with a Mikuni TM 33 8012, flat-slide, pumper carb. The FI and fuel pump have been removed :)

This tank will NOT work with a EFI KLX as the EFI KLX has the fuel pump IN the tank. AFAIK there are no aftermarket tanks for the EFI KLX 250.

Edited by BigBikeBKK

I didnt think there were any plastic tanks for the EFI. Mai pen rai

If you're not using the cycle,

I'm looking for a small bike, another specialized would be good. I gave my old rockhopper to my sister